PDA

View Full Version : Looking for good non-SE winter hikes (December)

cuiquentin
07-09-2016, 01:19
Looking for a good place to backpack for 1-2 weeks in the second half of December that isn't in the SE. Hopefully where conditions aren't too bad such that pack weight isn't terrible. I ask because I'm unaware of the conditions in places such as Arizona, New Mexico, Washington, Utah, etc. during this time. Thanks.

cuiquentin
07-09-2016, 01:23
Note: I do have experience backpacking in winter conditions, i.e. snowshoeing in Yosemite, snowy and sub-freezing trips on the AT

egilbe
07-09-2016, 05:40
Most of the best hikes in the southwest are done in the winter when its cooler.

Venchka
07-09-2016, 12:42
Big Bend & Guadalupe Mountains National Parks. The car camping sites in Big Bend tend to fill up between Christmas and New Years but the backcountry shouldn't be crowded. You might even be treated to a dusting of snow.
Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."

garlic08
07-09-2016, 13:25
You could get lucky with snow conditions and hike much of the southern half of the Arizona Trail. Some of the high peaks in the desert (9,000') could start getting snow, but it's unlikely it'll be deep enough to stop you if you have experience. Transportation to the MEX border can be difficult or expensive, take your pick.

Lower conditions exist in the Superstition and Mazatzal Wildernesses, which are on the AZT but there are many other trails and loop possibilities. Transportation would be much easier in those areas, which are close to Phoenix.

You might look at the Grand Enchantment Trail, too.

jefals
07-09-2016, 17:31
I'm heading back to the Mex. border and the PCT.

Shutterbug
07-09-2016, 20:02
Looking for a good place to backpack for 1-2 weeks in the second half of December that isn't in the SE. Hopefully where conditions aren't too bad such that pack weight isn't terrible. I ask because I'm unaware of the conditions in places such as Arizona, New Mexico, Washington, Utah, etc. during this time. Thanks.

December is a good time to hike the Grand Canyon. There may be some snow close to the rims, but once you get a mile or two into the canyon the snow is gone. The North Rim facilities are closed in December, but it is a good time to do a rim to rim to rim starting at the South Rim. In December, it is usually possible to hike all the way to the North Rim, but if there are early snows, one can just hike as far as safe and turn back.

This would make a good hike:

Day One -- South Rim to Bright Angel Campground/Phantom Ranch via the South Kaibab Trail. Camp at Bright Angel Campground.
Day Two -- Bright Angel Campground to Cottonwood Campground via the North Kaibab Trail. Camp at Cottonwood Campground.
Day Three -- Cottonwood to the North Rim, then back to Cottonwood. Leave your camping gear at Cottonwood and camp a 2nd night.
Day Four -- Cotton Wood to Ribbon Falls, then Ribbon Falls to Bright Angel Campground/Phantom Ranch. Camp at Bright Angel Campground
Day Five -- Bright Angel Campground to Clear Creek via the Clear Creek Trail. Camp at Clear Creek.
Day Six -- Clear Creek back to Bright Angel Campground. Camp at Bright Angel Campground.
Day Seven -- Hike out to the South Rim on the Bright Angel Trail.

To add additional days, hike along the Tonto Trail.

PS: You mentioned Pack Weight as a concern. One positive thing about hiking the Grand Canyon is that you can send a 30 lb duffle to Phantom Ranch via duffle service. That eliminates the necessity of carrying your camping gear on the hike in and out of the canyon.

colorado_rob
07-09-2016, 21:35
December is a good time to hike the Grand Canyon.Yes! We finally visited the GC at xmas (having been there about 20 times in the spring/fall).... wow. Tons of new snow at south rim, pretty much gone by about half way down. I like SB's nice, relaxed itinerary for this particular suggested trip.

cuiquentin
07-10-2016, 12:47
Many thanks!