PDA

View Full Version : thru-hikin' the Benton

general
01-06-2006, 13:02
i wanna thru-hike the Benton Mackaye before the summer foliage sets in. the Georgia sections' pretty much a no brainer, but i've heard tell of lots of folks having trouble navigating the citico wilderness area around the TN/NC state line. i've got the national geographic topo program, but i've been told that it is incorrect for the citico. any information on accurate maps of first hand accounts would be greatly appreciated.

Nean
01-06-2006, 14:07
Hey General, just carry some brandy w/ya, then it won't matter if you're lost:D. BTW, I have your nalgene.:o :-? :jump

MOWGLI
01-06-2006, 14:17
i wanna thru-hike the Benton Mackaye before the summer foliage sets in. the Georgia sections' pretty much a no brainer, but i've heard tell of lots of folks having trouble navigating the citico wilderness area around the TN/NC state line. i've got the national geographic topo program, but i've been told that it is incorrect for the citico. any information on accurate maps of first hand accounts would be greatly appreciated.

Send a PM to Happy Feet on this site. She is involved with the BMTA, as is her husband Hatman. Some fine dedicated trail folks they are.

general
01-06-2006, 15:58
Hey General, just carry some brandy w/ya, then it won't matter if you're lost:D. BTW, I have your nalgene.:o :-? :jump

if i drank enuf i could just ask the little green men which way to go. hang on to that nalgene for me and i'll send some of that kill me quick home with you from the ruck

Hikerhead
03-06-2006, 23:58
According to the BMT site, a new Nat'l Geo map is suppose to come out this month with the BMT highlighted for this section (middle section). I've been looking for a notice of some kind that it's available so that I can go ahead and order it.

ed bell
03-07-2006, 00:05
As a fellow hiker who has spent some time in Cleveland, SC, I wish you well in your hike! I had no idea there were so many Clevelands in the South.:D

Tha Wookie
03-07-2006, 00:10
As a fellow hiker who has spent some time in Cleveland, SC, I wish you well in your hike! I had no idea there were so many Clevelands in the South.:D

-home of the cabbage patch kids!

Ramble~On
03-10-2006, 05:29
General,

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about this section or area.
Feel Free to PM me.

The wilderness area being a "Wilderness" area prevents blazing but the trails are not difficult to follow.

An excellent map is available from the USFS.

Joyce Kilmer-Slickrock Wilderness and Citico Creek Wilderness Map.

available from: Cheoah Ranger District
USDA Forest Service
Route 1, Box 16-A
Robbinsville, NC 28771
(704) 479-6431
The maps are ? $5.00 you'd have to call them for current price.

The trails of this area are also covered on the:
National Geographic Trails Illustrated series maps # 781
Map #781 is titled "Tellico and Ocoee Rivers"
The Cohutta Wilderness, Big Frog and Little Frog Wildernesses, Ocoee Whitewater Center, Calderwood and Cheoah lakes and SW portion of GSMNP are all covered on this one map.

I hope that helps you and feel free to ask if you have questions

MOWGLI
03-10-2006, 07:27
General:

Having just walked 30 miles of the BMT where it is concurrent with the Lakeshore Trail in GSMNP, you'll want the latest Nat Geo map for the Park. Youngblood had an older version of the map and it didn't contain the relo between Fontana Dam and Hazel Creek. The old Lakeshore Trail went up what is now known as the Hazel Creek Trail. Of course, the signage is correct, so you could just follow the signs in the park.

Tipi Walter
03-16-2006, 23:33

General: Although I've spent no time on the Georgia section of the B Mac, I have some knowledge of it from Coker Creek/Hiway 68 north to Unicoi Gap and beyond. In fact, as I write this I am sitting on the South Fork of the Citico Creek trail on my first day of a 10 day backpacking trip so I'll have to transcribe this later at the keyboard.

Since the B Mac crosses the heart of the Citico Wilderness it can easily be accessed thru the Citico side and that is what I'm doing by going up to merge with the trail at Cold Spring Gap at around 4400 feet. Tomorrow I should be on the B Mac at the Gap and heading north but right now I'll describe in some parts the trail from Unicoi Gap by Coker Creek and Hiway 68 north all the way to Hiway 129, Tapoco and the Calderwood Lake bridge. PS I'll have to do this in installments as my computer kicks me off frequently.

1. Unicoi Gap to Tate Gap: This section starts in a parking area off Joe Brown "Highway"(just a dirt road)and goes up a grassy gated road and enters the woods to begin a long hard climb up to Peels Top and the ridge crossover where there is a little spring. Over the ridge the trail moderately gets to Tate Gap at a series of intersecting dirt logging roads where there is another little spring.

2. Tate Gap to Six Mile Gap: The trail climbs out of Tate Gap and goes up and down to arrive at 6 Mile Gap where there is a new B Mac trailpost(or at least there was). A faint side trail to the left goes up to Waucheesi Mt with some nice views(and possible ATV useage).

3. Six Mile Gap to Sandy Gap: The B Mac bears right and on a newly cut foot trail winds its way to Sandy Gap. The BMTA people say there's water somewhere on this short section of trail but I never found it.

4. Sandy Gap to Moss Gap: At Sandy Gap the trail enters a dirt road deadend and turn around where the white blaze diamond points itself on an old jeep road nearly straight ahead and up. The locals know this part as the State Line Trail and it climbs steeply along a very dry and scrubby hillside. Tate Gap might be the last chance for water till Moss Gap though it could be dry there too. Anyway, the trail goes along State Line ridge for several miles and at Moss Gap there's a small campsite and before that a tiny spring seep. More to come.

Tipi Walter
03-17-2006, 00:18
5. Moss Gap to Sled Runner Gap: The B Mac continues to follow the ridge and though it is clear of blowdowns when I went last summer, the trail was hard to follow and full of high weeds making it a challenge to navigate. I would say this section to Sled Runner is the most difficult cuz of the overgrowth. It eventually after several miles climbs up to Rocky Top and begins a descent into the Gap. There is water down the hillsides in some of the little gaps along the way.

6. Sled Runner Gap to Bald River: Here at the Gap the trail turns left and goes down into the Brookshire Creek watershed following what the locals call the Brookshire Creek trail. There's water aplenty and it feels good to be by a singing creek after all the hot dry miles from Unicoi Gap.

7. Bald River to Sugar Mountain: The B Mac finally gets down to Bald River and the junction with Brookshire creek at a trailpost. Here the trail turns right, crosses Brookshire creek and goes uphill into the Upper Bald River watershed for some miles. After a short walk on a newly cut foot trail, the B Mac gets onto another old rocky logging cut and climbs past little water seeps to cross a primitive forest service road and reaches several little campsites atop Sugar Mt.

8. Sugar Mt to Tellico River: For the most part this section is entirely new and just cut so it's fun to walk and pretty. There's a little spring seep on the way down and then the trail turns into many switchbacks as it makes its way down to the Tellico River and road.

9. Tellico River to Whiggs Meadow: The trail crosses the paved road and goes left thru a picnic area and parking lot and crosses a road bridge and the Tellico River whereupon it turns right and goes up what the locals call the Sycamore Creek trail. Herein begins a 6 to 7 mile, 3000 foot climb up an old rocky jeep trail as it switchbacks(four times?)to a gravel road which it turns right onto and follows all the way to a dead end. Whiggs Meadow is to the left and the trail goes straight thru the dead end past some dirt humps and rocks.

10. Whiggs Meadow to Mud Gap: Here the trail goes down about 500 feet on an old rocky road and arrives at the Cherohala Skyway at Mud Gap.

11. Mud Gap to Beech Gap: But right before reaching the Mud Gap parking area the trail turns left into the woods and comes out shortly on a grassy jeep road as it climbs left to the Rock Quarry and thru it to descend and cross another dirt road(North River road). There's water here and there and the trail climbs up and over a hill and switchbacks down to the Skyway and into a parking lot at a place called Unicoi Crest or Unicoi Overlook or something. Follow the white blazes as the trail enters the woods and goes a ways to merge with another old road. Turn right here at a place called Beech Gap and notice the Citico Wilderness sign.

Tipi Walter
03-17-2006, 00:49
12. Beech Gap to Cold Spring Gap: Here is an easy section at around 4500 feet as the trail meanders into Cold Spring Gap where there are several trail intersections. The first trail to the left is the South Fork trail of the Citico, #105. The one straight ahead and to the left is the B Mac. The one straight ahead and going up is the Fodderstack trail as it climbs to 5260 feet and Bob Bald.

13. Cold Spring Gap to B Mac Connector: Follow the trailposts and go straight along the old Cold Spring Gap trail which is a continuation of the old road. There's water all along this section. Not long and there's another trailpost.

14. B Mac Connector to Snow Camp: Turn right and go up a gap and bear right as the trail climbs thru some beautiful scenery. There's plenty of water and this is a brand new section cut just last year. It crosses several springs and creeks and pulls into an open hemlock camp called Snow Camp.

15. Snow Camp to Crowders: At Snow Camp the trail bears left and follows the old Fodderstack Trail north for many miles up and down into various gaps. The first is Cherry Log, the second is Glenn Gap(there's water down to the right), the third is Harrison Gap and then a long uphill around the shoulder of Big Fodderstack Mt and down gets you to a little campsite and a trail to the left which is the Pine Ridge trail. Here the B Mac turns right and goes downhill to Big Stack Gap at Mill Branch(notice the recently fallen 125 year old oak and how it barely missed the new trailpost), and then the trail climbs steeply up to the ridgetop and curves up and down thru a dark hemlock grove to finally descend into a grassy large open campsite called Crowders Camp. There's water down the Crowders trail a ways and the trail in the campsite itself is called Big Stack Gap trail and goes down into the Slickrock Wilderness.

16. Crowders to Farr Gap: Leaving Crowders the B Mac passes the Crowders Creek side trail(where there's water), and goes up and down for some miles to finally reach Farr Gap and a dirt road and parking area.

17. Farr Gap to Slickrock Creek: At Farr Gap the trail turns sharply right and down steeply following what the locals call the Stiffknee trail. In a small gap this trail turns sharply right and Does Not Continue Straight as it seems it would. By turning right the trail enters the Little Slickrock creek watershed and goes down and crosses the little creek five times before reaching Slickrock Creek at a big campsite.

18. Slickrock Creek to Ike Branch trail: Here the trail turns left and follows Slickrock downstream and crosses a big crossing and immediately gets to a large campsite and firepit. Past the camp a couple of tenths of a mile the trail reaches a creek and another open campsite where there are several trail signs. Here the B Mac turns right away from the Slickrock creek and goes up a side creek on the Ike Branch trail.

19. Ike Branch trail to Slickrock Creek: Here the trail leaves Slickrock creek and goes up and over a mountain to reach a big campsite in a gap before it goes down steeply along a little creek to merge again with the Slickrock creek trail by Calderwood Lake.

20. Hiway 129: Turn right onto the Slickrock Creek trail and shortly get to the hiway.

Hikerhead
03-25-2006, 22:00
Thanks for the detailed into Tipi Walker. How's the trail blazed in this section? Good, Bad, None? If it's blazed like the southern 100 miles maps are not hardly needed.

Tipi Walter
03-27-2006, 13:50
Thanks for the detailed into Tipi Walker. How's the trail blazed in this section? Good, Bad, None? If it's blazed like the southern 100 miles maps are not hardly needed.

There are white blazes on most of the described section although of course the Citico/Slickrock section has no paint but uses trailposts instead. Some short sections have no paint such as the Sycamore Creek section going up to Whiggs Meadow but this could of changed since last summer. All in all I would say the trail is fairly easy to follow as the treadway is new. I guess until the BMTA comes out with a good map of the northern section I would use a combination of the National Geographic map(s) and the Forest Service Slickrock/Citico Creek paper map.

PS The BMTA does have website maps online which are good and tie in with the other maps mentioned.

SGT Rock
05-26-2006, 06:56
17. Farr Gap to Slickrock Creek: At Farr Gap the trail turns sharply right and down steeply following what the locals call the Stiffknee trail. In a small gap this trail turns sharply right and Does Not Continue Straight as it seems it would. By turning right the trail enters the Little Slickrock creek watershed and goes down and crosses the little creek five times before reaching Slickrock Creek at a big campsite.
I don't know why it is called stiff knee, the trail is easy walking and really beutiful. My sons and I love walking this section. Plenty of good water but no markings in the area. There are a few places where the trail splits without a clue as to which fork is correct, but all trails converge within 0.1 miles or less - so don't sweat it.

18. Slickrock Creek to Ike Branch trail: Here the trail turns left and follows Slickrock downstream and crosses a big crossing and immediately gets to a large campsite and firepit. Past the camp a couple of tenths of a mile the trail reaches a creek and another open campsite where there are several trail signs. Here the B Mac turns right away from the Slickrock creek and goes up a side creek on the Ike Branch trail.
My section of trail. I hope to get back there late July or August while on mid-tour leave. Good campsites along the creek but if you want to walk down Slick Rock Creek (past the cut over Yellowhammer Gap) about 1/4 mile (one creek crossing in that distance) there is a campsite along a nice waterfall with a swimming hole. I think it is a good place to hop down to and make a campsite and then get back on the BMT the next day.

19. Ike Branch trail to Slickrock Creek: Here the trail leaves Slickrock creek and goes up and over a mountain to reach a big campsite in a gap before it goes down steeply along a little creek to merge again with the Slickrock creek trail by Calderwood Lake.

20. Hiway 129: Turn right onto the Slickrock Creek trail and shortly get to the hiway.
Once you get here you would have to turn left on the highway and cross the brige on a short road walk to stay on the trail, but if you need re-supply you can turn right and go about 1/4 to 1/2 mile to get to a little wide spot in the road. There is a resturaunt here and a small grocery (I think it is still open).

If you keep going up the BMT and choose not to go here, the next resupply will be where 129 and the trail cross again as you road walk past the Tail of the Dragon which has burgers and such with some snack type foods - this is the last store before you enter the Smokies.

Hikerhead
05-26-2006, 22:20
Hammock Hanger, Deb W and I did the 100 mile middle section a couple of weeks ago. Coming from Farr Gap and down into the valley is where Stiffknee earns it's name. A very steep trail in some places.

the only problem I had on this section was around Slick Rock Creek where I got misdirected. But I probably walked along and through one of the prettiest creeks that I've ever came across.

Tipi Walter
06-08-2006, 10:55
Thanks, Sgt Rock, for the additional input. I'm glad you get to call the Slickrock sections part of your stomping grounds. I should add that on section 19 the B Mac passes a couple of important junctions around Yellowhammer Gap. The first is when Ike Branch/B Mac reaches the Yellowhammer Gap trailhead which turns sharply right and up from the B Mac. The next junction is at the Gap proper and though the B Mac continues straight there is a junction with the Hangover Lead North trail to the right. Past this the trail enters the large open campsite I mentioned before.

Back down on the Slickrock creek section the B Mac could be hiked straight out following the creek as an alternate to turning right onto the Ike Branch trail. This would give the backpacker the pleasure of crossing the creek a total of two more times and seeing the big pool at Lower Falls. Past the falls the trail crosses one last time and enters a big open campsite and a high cliff wall to the right, visible thru the trees and by the trail. Although this section is not part of the B Mac it sure is pretty. The trail gets on the right side of the creek and begins to climb out of the valley and crosses four wooden footbridges while rising high above the Lake for a great view. It eventually ties into the B Mac again at the Ike Branch trail junction to the right after crossing its namesake creek.

In the last two months I've spent 22 days backpacking on the B Mac and in the Citico/Slickrock and in that time I've met 3 genuine thruhikers on the Benton MacKaye trail, one a southbounder from Atlanta and a couple coming up from Springer. I believe their names were Tulip and Silverwing from Asheville, NC, and they were very friendly and inspiring.

SGT Rock
06-09-2006, 07:11
Back down on the Slickrock creek section the B Mac could be hiked straight out following the creek as an alternate to turning right onto the Ike Branch trail. This would give the backpacker the pleasure of crossing the creek a total of two more times and seeing the big pool at Lower Falls. Past the falls the trail crosses one last time and enters a big open campsite and a high cliff wall to the right, visible thru the trees and by the trail. Although this section is not part of the B Mac it sure is pretty. The trail gets on the right side of the creek and begins to climb out of the valley and crosses four wooden footbridges while rising high above the Lake for a great view. It eventually ties into the B Mac again at the Ike Branch trail junction to the right after crossing its namesake creek.

Good point. I like to hike this area, although I will say that in some places the trail is not well kept up and needs work. When I first went into that part I wondered why the BMT didn't follow the creek which seems like it would make for a great hiking expereince until I saw how bad the creek affects that section of trail. It would take a team to keep that section up considering what one good flood could do to it.

But that said, my boys and I often make that a loop. We hike in and do maintenance on the BMT and then camp by the lower falls or at the crossing of Slickrock near the trail junction of StiffKnee and play in the creek as a reward for the hard days work. Then the next day we hike out the Slickrock creek and enjoy the multiple creek crossings. Tipi Walker has a great suggestion when he mentions that, but in high water weather I would reccomend just crossing at Yellowhammer Gap on the official BMT.