PDA

View Full Version : Need Pronunciation help = McAffee Knob

gbolt
07-09-2016, 18:29
McAfee = Mic calf ee
or
McAfee = Mac A fee

Have heard it both way's. Is this gonna be a Yankee vs. Southern Pronunciation just like Appalachian? :confused: :p

egilbe
07-09-2016, 20:13
MACK a fee knob is how I've always heard it pronounced

Turtle-2013
07-09-2016, 20:47
I'm local ... and frankly ... even the locals pronounce it both ways. Sometimes both ways in the same sentence :D

kenp
07-09-2016, 22:06
Its the second part of "McAfee Knob" that gets me. In Ireland, "knob" has no geological connotations. It can mean a kind of handle on a door, but more often used as slang.

"knob" is slang for an erect penis or used roughly similar to "dick", as in "That guy is a knob[head]".

So whenever I climb to the top of a knob on the AT, my inner 12 year old has a little chuckle.

bigcranky
07-09-2016, 22:36
So whenever I climb to the top of a knob on the AT, my inner 12 year old has a little chuckle.

So I probably shouldn't suggest that you use a "fanny pack" to carry some of your gear, eh? :)

I always heard "MACK uh fee". But if Turtle hears it both ways, then there you go.

CalebJ
07-10-2016, 07:55
I live nearby as well. Probably 80% say MAC ah fee's knob, but there are definitely some that emphasis the A sound. Honestly, the way it's capitalized makes me think it ought to be the less common pronunciation, but it still sounds weird to me.

CalebJ
07-10-2016, 07:56
Its the second part of "McAfee Knob" that gets me. In Ireland, "knob" has no geological connotations. It can mean a kind of handle on a door, but more often used as slang.

"knob" is slang for an erect penis or used roughly similar to "dick", as in "That guy is a knob[head]".

I bet you really got a kick out of getting to Highcock knob.

V Eight
07-10-2016, 12:20
I'm local ... and frankly ... even the locals pronounce it both ways. Sometimes both ways in the same sentence :D

I live about 10 miles from there and like Turtle I hear it both ways (and more) everytime I'm over there.
Now if you really want to have fun with pronouncionation in that area,Catawba can be quite entertaining.

V8

Traveler
07-10-2016, 15:05
I would go for the third pronunciation option, "Mick Aye Fees Kah Noob", you'll confuse everyone and leave an impression that will be lasting.

rocketsocks
07-10-2016, 20:28
Mc\Mick...son of
Mac\Mack...brother of

rocketsocks
07-10-2016, 20:30
Son of knob :D

Shutterbug
07-10-2016, 21:15
McAfee = Mic calf ee
or
McAfee = Mac A fee

Have heard it both way's. Is this gonna be a Yankee vs. Southern Pronunciation just like Appalachian? :confused: :p

It is pronounced just like the Anti-virus software -- both ways. Actually, John McAfee should know -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Vte2VIGH3Q

Bronk
07-11-2016, 09:42
You hear it both ways because some people are saying it wrong.

Gambit McCrae
07-11-2016, 10:30
Always have heard it 2 ways
MACK-UH-FEE
MAH-CAF-EE

Ill be there for the first time in the next month or so, ill ask which it prefers and update