PDA

View Full Version : When do SOBOs finish?

lilroo
07-09-2016, 22:24
I have found that I am unexpectedly free from responsibilities and in need of some time in the woods. I've hike 300+ miles from Erwin, TN up through Troutdale, VA and WV/MD on some section hikes. So I've got experience, but am a little out of shape. I'll be free to start in September and am wondering if I should try to hook up with SOBO hikers. Are there really that many? I'd love to at least be around people though I don't mind being alone as well. Thoughts? Advice? I could also go North, but I'm thinking the weather will set in before I can get my hiking legs on :)

MuddyWaters
07-09-2016, 22:26
They tend to focus on trying to be home for Thanksgiving or Christmas. Bulk probably oct -Nov

But could finish anywhere from Sept to Jan.

map man
07-10-2016, 08:59
Most SOBO thru-hikers finish in November or December but some finish before and after that as well. No matter where you are on the southern AT in the fall you will see a lot more section hikers and day hikers than thru-hikers. Fewer than a hundred SOBOs finish each year and they are spread out.

lilroo
07-10-2016, 12:53
Thanks! As a single woman I'm trying to make a decision about what might put me around more thru hikers. If I started sept 1.... Where would you suggest starting to go NOBO? I think I could quickly build up to 10 miles a day. I run, work out, and hike a lot. I realize they will pass me by, but still would like to be passed often :). Also was thinking about skipping the 100 mile wilderness in Maine.

lilroo
07-10-2016, 12:58
Ideally, I'd like to be on the trail 2 months, I suppose I could hike south from Maine and I would keep passing ppl in the opposite direction.... Thoughts?

egilbe
07-10-2016, 13:15
From July to October, Nobos are finishing up in Katahdin. If you start hiking in September, headed north, you will be at the tail end of the Nobo bubble. I don't know if you would want to start in NH or not. If you started in Katahdin, went south, you would meet the Nobo bubble headed North, but you would probably meet lots of section hikers and weekenders during that time. September and October are probably the best months to hike in New England.

lilroo
07-10-2016, 13:45
From July to October, Nobos are finishing up in Katahdin. If you start hiking in September, headed north, you will be at the tail end of the Nobo bubble. I don't know if you would want to start in NH or not. If you started in Katahdin, went south, you would meet the Nobo bubble headed North, but you would probably meet lots of section hikers and weekenders during that time. September and October are probably the best months to hike in New England.

Thanks! I'm leaning toward New England vs the south, also because if I want to keep hiking, I could just head down south and hike another month.

Venchka
07-10-2016, 16:05
Are you aware of the planning required to start in Baxter park?
Have a great hike.
Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."

lilroo
07-10-2016, 17:47
Are you aware of the planning required to start in Baxter park?
Have a great hike.
Wayne

Not yet... Deciding where to go and then plan accordingly. I'm a planner so any heads up is appreciated. I also thought about calling the ATC headquarters once I decide where to start.

Slo-go'en
07-10-2016, 17:50
Sept/Oct is a good time of year to hike Maine/NH, but it can also be the worst time when the weather turns on you. Which is okay, so long as your prepared for it. (snow is possible anytime after Oct 1, but it typically doesn't last long, but it can get really cold too. Worse then snow is freezing rain) There will still be NOBO's desperately trying to finish up and you may meet a fellow SOBO section hiker. The trail is actually pretty busy in Maine/NH that time of year, especially on nice weekends.

Just keep in mind that by skipping the HMW, your heading directly into some of the most difficult parts of the AT with very little preamble. Being from AL and "a little out of shape", this might come as a big shock to the system.

lilroo
07-10-2016, 19:36
Sept/Oct is a good time of year to hike Maine/NH, but it can also be the worst time when the weather turns on you. Which is okay, so long as your prepared for it. (snow is possible anytime after Oct 1, but it typically doesn't last long, but it can get really cold too. Worse then snow is freezing rain) There will still be NOBO's desperately trying to finish up and you may meet a fellow SOBO section hiker. The trail is actually pretty busy in Maine/NH that time of year, especially on nice weekends.

Just keep in mind that by skipping the HMW, your heading directly into some of the most difficult parts of the AT with very little preamble. Being from AL and "a little out of shape", this might come as a big shock to the system.

Hey Slo-go'en! Thanks for the advice. I will definitely be doing some hikes with weight on me before I go, but you're right, I'll be out of shape. Is there a stretch of 600 miles in that area that you would recommend starting/finishing. I just want to be on the trail where people are... I'm not out to prove any particular stretch. Just need some woods and a rest for my weary mind. I could do the HMW, but it makes me nervous.

egilbe
07-10-2016, 20:49
Don't let the HMW scare you. Its a comparatively easy stretch compared to the rest of Maine, especially if you go Sobo and skip hiking Katahdin on day one. Just bring food. There will be plenty of people hiking the trail during that time.

Venchka
07-10-2016, 21:59
The AT from Harpers Ferry south will have the highest population density on any day of the year. If you insist on company hike the southern half of the AT. Leaf season will definitely bring folks to the trail.
Call Baxter in person to get the whole truth about how you go about making reservations for the start of a SOBO hike on the AT and the latest date they allow starting a SOBO hike.
Wayne

Slo-go'en
07-10-2016, 22:02
Hey Slo-go'en! Thanks for the advice. I will definitely be doing some hikes with weight on me before I go, but you're right, I'll be out of shape. Is there a stretch of 600 miles in that area that you would recommend starting/finishing. I just want to be on the trail where people are... I'm not out to prove any particular stretch. Just need some woods and a rest for my weary mind. I could do the HMW, but it makes me nervous.

Any thing you can do to get ready physically is a plus, but nothing will prepare you for Maine. What do you have for gear now and how suited is it for colder temps? How much money are you willing to spend on new gear if you need it? Answering those questions would help narrow down the area to hike. It might be best to stick to southern sections, say Marion VA to Springer, about 500 miles.

lilroo
07-11-2016, 10:23
Any thing you can do to get ready physically is a plus, but nothing will prepare you for Maine. What do you have for gear now and how suited is it for colder temps? How much money are you willing to spend on new gear if you need it? Answering those questions would help narrow down the area to hike. It might be best to stick to southern sections, say Marion VA to Springer, about 500 miles.

Hey Slo-go'en... your advice has been great. Though I love the thought of the south... I hate the heat and I'm now located in MD. Also I've done roughly 300 miles from NC/TN to southern VA so I don't want to do the same section. I've researched a few sections that might work. I could easily do all of Virginia and I'm sure there will be section hikers and weekenders around. I could take my dog with me too - we hike a lot and the terrain is not as treacherous. I also thought about going SOBO from Warren, NH as far south as I can get (headed home to MD). This one seems more ideal just because everyone raves about New England in the fall. However, I see you are from NH and I don't really want to get a bunch of winter gear. If I start Sept 1 and bring a sleeping bag liner for extra warmth - do you think I would be ok with the risk of cooler weather? VA would be easier but New England would be so beautiful :)

lilroo
07-11-2016, 10:24

Hey there! Your advice has been great! Though I love the thought of the south... I hate the heat and I'm now located in MD. Also I've done roughly 300 miles from NC/TN to southern VA so I don't want to do the same section. I've researched a few sections that might work. I could easily do all of Virginia and I'm sure there will be section hikers and weekenders around. I could take my dog with me too - we hike a lot and the terrain is not as treacherous. I also thought about going SOBO from Warren, NH as far south as I can get (headed home to MD). This one seems more ideal just because everyone raves about New England in the fall. However, I see you are from NH and I don't really want to get a bunch of winter gear. If I start Sept 1 and bring a sleeping bag liner for extra warmth - do you think I would be ok with the risk of cooler weather? VA would be easier but New England would be so beautiful :)

Hikingjim
07-11-2016, 10:31
If you hike SOBO in Maine at that time, you will pass a ton of NOBO and feel like you keep meeting so many people for just 30 seconds or for 1 night. It gets annoying going the wrong direction, because you don't get that good feeling of seeing the same people multiple times.

I have gone the opposite way of traffic a few times, and I don't actually like it much. The shelters, sites, etc, are the same busyness either way, but it's 100% new people ever day! Other than the few people that are going the same way as you

lilroo
07-11-2016, 11:31
If you hike SOBO in Maine at that time, you will pass a ton of NOBO and feel like you keep meeting so many people for just 30 seconds or for 1 night. It gets annoying going the wrong direction, because you don't get that good feeling of seeing the same people multiple times.

I have gone the opposite way of traffic a few times, and I don't actually like it much. The shelters, sites, etc, are the same busyness either way, but it's 100% new people ever day! Other than the few people that are going the same way as you

Yeah, I thought about that, but I'm also going at a time that just doesn't match thru-hikers. I'm not sure I can handle the White Mountains of NH and then Katahdin without any miles to get me ready. I'm also not prepared for snow. So if I get my dog ready and take him with me, I won't feel too alone :) Do you think any SOBOs will be in VA, or will they be way past that?

map man
07-11-2016, 19:01
I also thought about going SOBO from Warren, NH as far south as I can get (headed home to MD). This one seems more ideal just because everyone raves about New England in the fall. However, I see you are from NH and I don't really want to get a bunch of winter gear. If I start Sept 1 and bring a sleeping bag liner for extra warmth - do you think I would be ok with the risk of cooler weather? VA would be easier but New England would be so beautiful :)

If you start south from Warren NH on September 1st you will be out of New England before October if you average just 11 miles a day. October weather in New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania is likely to be warmer than if you were in Maine, New Hampshire or Vermont in that month. You would not need to gear up for the cold nearly as much. And 13 miles a day in October would get you to Maryland before October was over if you did indeed average 11 miles a day for the first month in New England.

Hikingjim
07-11-2016, 21:48
Yeah, I thought about that, but I'm also going at a time that just doesn't match thru-hikers. I'm not sure I can handle the White Mountains of NH and then Katahdin without any miles to get me ready. I'm also not prepared for snow. So if I get my dog ready and take him with me, I won't feel too alone :) Do you think any SOBOs will be in VA, or will they be way past that?

if you started around rockfish gap, VA, to where you left off in troutdale, there would be other hikers in september going SOBO in that area. that's where some would be at (about 800-900 mile remaining) with a couple months left in their hike. Then you could skip over to erwin and do that section if you had a bunch of time left

lilroo
07-11-2016, 22:14
if you started around rockfish gap, VA, to where you left off in troutdale, there would be other hikers in september going SOBO in that area. that's where some would be at (about 800-900 mile remaining) with a couple months left in their hike. Then you could skip over to erwin and do that section if you had a bunch of time left

That's not a bad suggestion and definitely a good idea. I appreciate you helping me think through it. Do you think if I started at the VA/WV state line I would be too far behind the SOBO group?

rafe
07-11-2016, 23:20
Thanks! As a single woman I'm trying to make a decision about what might put me around more thru hikers. If I started sept 1.... Where would you suggest starting to go NOBO? I think I could quickly build up to 10 miles a day. I run, work out, and hike a lot. I realize they will pass me by, but still would like to be passed often :). Also was thinking about skipping the 100 mile wilderness in Maine.

If you want to meet lots of thru hikers in September, hike the Hundred Mile Wilderness in Maine. That's where the northbound wave will be. I've hiked the HMW in September and in August, SOBO each time. Met plenty of (NOBO) thru hikers both times.

The southbound wave is never that strong, and by September it's pretty well dispersed, probably anywhere from PA to southern or central Virginia.

I hiked eastern PA to southern VA in August-September 2007. I met two SOBOs and one straggling NOBO on that trek. There may have been SOBO thru hikers ahead of or behind me, but somehow we never met.

lilroo
07-21-2016, 14:00
If you start south from Warren NH on September 1st you will be out of New England before October if you average just 11 miles a day. October weather in New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania is likely to be warmer than if you were in Maine, New Hampshire or Vermont in that month. You would not need to gear up for the cold nearly as much. And 13 miles a day in October would get you to Maryland before October was over if you did indeed average 11 miles a day for the first month in New England.

Thanks so much for the advice! you are a fantastic resource on this forum!

Secondmouse
07-22-2016, 10:56
I have found that I am unexpectedly free from responsibilities and in need of some time in the woods. I've hike 300+ miles from Erwin, TN up through Troutdale, VA and WV/MD on some section hikes. So I've got experience, but am a little out of shape. I'll be free to start in September and am wondering if I should try to hook up with SOBO hikers. Are there really that many? I'd love to at least be around people though I don't mind being alone as well. Thoughts? Advice? I could also go North, but I'm thinking the weather will set in before I can get my hiking legs on :)

a couple of things - if you're just starting out and "a little out of shape", you're not going to pace with anyone who's been out for awhile.

also, thru-hikers (NOBO or SOBO) at the middle stages have already bonded into their own groups and the thru's whose blogs and reports I've read said that really only relate well to each other. in my short little 10-day hike I met many day hikers, weekenders, section hikers and thru's. everyone was pleasant and courteous but you could tell the thru's shared something the rest of us didn't.

if it's your intention to join a group already on the trail, I don't think it will work out like you hope it will. but don't worry because you will meet plenty of people so you'll probably never experience being alone, and you may find someone of similar pace and personality to hook up with.

you could try posting a "hiking partner wanted" post here. that worked out pretty well for me except for the fact the guy bailed at the first town complaining of his hips hurting...

LittleRock
07-25-2016, 11:27

Definitely head south. The NOBOs will be finishing up all through September and October. If you start in Erwin and head south to Springer after Labor Day weekend, you should have mostly nice weather. A few SOBOs will pass you here and there, but mostly you will have other section hikers as company. You'll likely have the trail mostly to yourself on weekdays.