PDA

View Full Version : Water in September

Zman
07-10-2016, 10:19
Ok. Having listened to a few people, I think hiking from Amacalola Springs to Neels gap over the Thanksgiving weekend may be a bit cold. I am now thinking of this Labor day weekend. Is there an issue finding water at this time? Being the end of summer, will the springs and water sources be dried up? If I bring 2 or 3 liters of water, will this be enough for the 3-4 day hike?

MuddyWaters
07-10-2016, 10:52
It just depends on rain. It can be extremely dry one day, and everything flowing well two days later.

September is actually a higher rainfall month typically than july, or august. On par with march and april. Probably about the median rainfall.
The really low dry month is October. But at any time there can be storms, or drought.

Dont worry, there is always water. Some people panic if there isnt water every 3-5 miles. These people would be slow, out of shape, and heavily laden and incapable of hiking the distances between water. For most hikers capable of 10-15 miles per day, there is always ample water.

soumodeler
07-10-2016, 10:52
I did that section over Labor Day in 2014. I did not have issues finding water THEN, but this year could easily be different.

You may have issues at Black Gap and Springer (I think they are currently very low). Stover Creek should be fine. Three Forks stays flowing year round. Not sure about how Hawk holds up in drought. After Hawk you have the dry 6 miles to Justus Creek, but Ron Brown generally drops water off at Cooper Gap for hikers. Justus Creek will be fine. Gooch can get low but I would say get plenty of water at Justus. Doubt you will find water at Woody Gap unless you go into Suches (worth it for pizza!). After that, you have Lance Creek, which should be flowing. Slaughter Creek will probably be low. I would again get plenty at Lance to carry me over Blood.

I think the only water source I had trouble with in 2014 was at Hogpen (after Neel).

Check again a few weeks ahead and see what people are reporting.

Also, are you asking if 2-3 liters will be enough for the entire hike? If so, no chance. It will be hot and humid. You will need that or more per day. I would bring 4 liters capacity and carry what I needed to the next water source.

daddytwosticks
07-10-2016, 13:02
Last I looked, North Georgia was in a severe drought. You may want to keep up with the conditions and ask again right before you go. PM Fat Man. He lives somewhere close to the trail in Suches and knows all about trail conditions down that way. :)

Zman
07-10-2016, 14:05
I take it you have hiked the section once or twice before. LOL thank you for your input.

Fireplug
07-12-2016, 20:32
All the shelters have reliable water sources. You shouldn't have an issue.

Dan Roper
07-12-2016, 20:49
I've hiked that section twice, once in extreme summer drought (like what we're experiencing now) and once in spring when there was plenty of water.

During drought times there are stretches where water is scarce. But there are also reliable sources like Stover Creek, Three Forks, and Justus Creek. You'll do best beginning to check about 10 days before your trip. If it is dry (and September often is), then you'll want to plan to really "gas up" at the creeks.

During our "dry trip" in August 2007, a well-meaning hiker told us to bypass the summit of Blood Mountain by taking the blue-blazed Freeman Trail. This, he told us, would have water. it didn't...and it was open to the sun most of the way. It became a bit of a death march for us as we were nearing the end of a 15-mile day. So getting good and reliable information ahead of time can be very helpful.