PDA

View Full Version : Bob's Red Mill Potato Flakes

tiptoe
07-10-2016, 14:52
I noticed these in the local grocery this morning. I haven't tried them, but they might be a useful backpacking food for someone without a dehydrator.

See http://www.bobsredmill.com/potato-flakes.html for nutrition info and prep.

Venchka
07-10-2016, 15:54
What is wrong with regular instant mashed potatoes with a bit of seasoning added? 4 - 4 ounce bags of Idahoan for $4.00.
Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."

RockDoc
07-10-2016, 22:31
I don't know why you would eat something so lacking in nutrition. 14 g of carbs, that's about it. Do you want to get sick?
What about eating real food?

Venchka
07-10-2016, 22:53
I don't know why you would eat something so lacking in nutrition. 14 g of carbs, that's about it. Do you want to get sick?
What about eating real food?

It is possible to consume other foods along with the potatoes. It just so happens that the dehydrated potatoes are virtually weightless and ready to eat immediately. The potatoes are just one of several sources of quick cooking carbs in my food bag like Udon noodles, oats, etc. Ramen not allowed.
Wayne

tiptoe
07-10-2016, 23:00
Just for the record, I make potato bark (see http://www.backpackingchef.com/potato-bark.html for instrux), and add to it some dried ground beef and veggies. It makes a fairly nutritious meal, and it's quite filling.

rocketsocks
07-11-2016, 11:34
I like and use many of bobs red mill products, they aren't nessasarily the cheapest on the market...but I like em.

rocketsocks
07-11-2016, 11:43
Bobs red mill coarse ground corn makes good polenta north of the Mason Dixon line, the same grind will make grits south of. O'coarse having a wood fire is nessasary to facilitate...unless you use instant grits, but no self respecting southerner would use instant unless they're hiker trash, and then it's ok.

and who wouldn't like a big bowl of mashed taters after hikin' all day...good stuff!

Venchka
07-11-2016, 13:01
Bobs red mill coarse ground corn makes good polenta north of the Mason Dixon line, the same grind will make grits south of. O'coarse having a wood fire is nessasary to facilitate...unless you use instant grits, but no self respecting southerner would use instant unless they're hiker trash, and then it's ok.

and who wouldn't like a big bowl of mashed taters after hikin' all day...good stuff!

Well said. Eat your own food while you hike your own hike.
I think I'll add grits to my grocery rotation.
Wayne

tiptoe
07-11-2016, 14:14
And my normal off-trail breakfast is 1/4 cup Bob's Red Mill muesli, with a tsp. of bran, milk, and fruit du jour: these days it's raspberries or blueberries from the garden. When I hike, I soup up the mix with Nido, coconut flakes, almonds, craisins, raisins and package it in individual-portion baggies. It makes for a quick, no-cook, and fairly satisfying start to the day.

Mr. Bumpy
07-11-2016, 14:35
I use their garbanzo bean flour, mix in some dry spices, dry veggies, then make humus-ish on the trail with oil and water. Add cheese and it makes for a quick, easy, complete meal.

Sarcasm the elf
07-11-2016, 14:36
What is wrong with regular instant mashed potatoes with a bit of seasoning added? 4 - 4 ounce bags of Idahoan for $4.00.
Wayne

Does Idahoan make plain 100% potato flakes? All the bags of idahoan I've seen at the supermarket were loaded with flavoring and preservatives which makes them very different from the Bob's redmills flakes.

Venchka
07-11-2016, 21:53
Does Idahoan make plain 100% potato flakes? All the bags of idahoan I've seen at the supermarket were loaded with flavoring and preservatives which makes them very different from the Bob's redmills flakes.

I'm not sure. For better or worse I've just grabbed the flavor that caught my eye. I'll look for plain. I used to buy plain, but a different brand. The whole industry might be flavored.
Wayne

garlic08
07-11-2016, 23:19
One reason I like instant potatoes is that in a pinch they can be reconstituted in cold water. It's a good meal to have along in case there's a stove or fuel problem, or you just don't want to go out in the rain/snow/hail/wind and cook. And they're a good staple for the few stoveless hikers out there.

Anyone else ever tour the Red Mill in Portland, OR? It's a great place. Right across the road is Dave's Killer Bread.

CamelMan
07-12-2016, 19:40
I think the instant mashed potatoes make a great lunch if you don't mind using the fuel. (And yeah the stoveless aspect of it is a good point. Plus they soak up extra water if you don't use the right proportions when making something else, like instant rice.) Many, including Idahoan, contain amylase (the enzyme in your spit that turns starch into sugar), so it's like they're pre-chewed. About a half an hour after eating you can feel a little rush of energy hit you, if you're depleted when you make them. Awesome!