PDA

View Full Version : Rock bag?

Arden
07-10-2016, 15:10
Hi;
I had a bear bag kit which came with a nylon bag (not a dry sack) for food storage, 50ft of light cord, and a little bag to hold the rock for tossing over a branch. I sold the kit when I sold my Gregory Wind River backpack. I am looking for a combination dry sack and bear bag hanging kit, but none of the ones I have found online are both dry sack and bear bag kit. All of the kits that come with the rock bag are not waterproof.
I already have a dry sack, and the para cord, so all I need is the bag for the rock. I don't want to be bothered tying the cord directly onto the rock - the bag was so much easier.
I am looking online, and thinking maybe I could use a chalk bag. They're pretty big for a small rock, but I think a decent one would work. Is there a better alternative?
An old sock maybe?

Thanks for your advice
Arden

soumodeler
07-10-2016, 15:15
ZPacks sells their rock bag individually. But anything would work.

http://zpacks.com/accessories/stuff_sacks.shtml

MuddyWaters
07-10-2016, 15:48
Why do you need a drysak?
Put your food in gallon ziplocks,
Hang in any drawstring silnylon sack. Like cheap from walmart. Make sure rain can leak out bottom if can leak in top.

Or use turkey bag as a wateproof liner, or both

Go to grocery store and buy some garlic. Several pods come in a little mesh sack . thread your line thru the neck of mesh sack. Free.

I like mld or zpacks cuben rock sacks though, store line in them keeps it from tangling.
If you coil or wrap the line up, you will always fight tangles . You STUFF the line into the sack, it will come out with no tangles perfect every time.

Venchka
07-10-2016, 15:50
Someone here at WhiteBlaze said that they used a small grocery store water bottle with a bit of water or sand for weight. I tried it in my back yard and it worked like a charm.
Good luck.
Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."

u.w.
07-10-2016, 16:19
got any old socks, or socks that the washer/dryer monster, or couch ate the other one of?

there ya go... now a rock sack

u.w.

Christoph
07-10-2016, 16:28
I carry two 1 ltr water bottles and a small "filling" bottle for those hard to get a 1 ltr in those sources. I just used the small bottle with a tiny bit of water in it to throw up and over. Might be an option.

Fireplug
07-10-2016, 16:31
I used 50' of paracord however I took all the inner string out to cut space and weight. It held 10 days of food just fine.

SWODaddy
07-10-2016, 18:18
I like to use an old handkerchief....dual purpose.

AfterParty
07-10-2016, 18:21
OR ditty bags set on amazon. They are perfect size 3 bags also good for first aid wallet phone compass small catch all. Fill the small one and tie to the clip.

RangerZ
07-10-2016, 21:34
Go to grocery store and buy some garlic. Several pods come in a little mesh sack . thread your line thru the neck of mesh sack. Free.

I use a circle cut from an onion sack with a draw string. But I did appropriate the last garlic sack we got for future use. Plus the bear line fits in it.

If you figure eight the line on your thumb and pinky finger it won't tangle also. I learned it years ago in the Army, but I think that there's a You Tube out there.

If I remember right, the sheaf for suspension line holds 200 pounds and the 7 inner threads are 50 pounds each, hence 550 cord.

Flounder940
07-11-2016, 09:24
I too had a bear bag kit that had a rock bag. but one time the bag got entangled in the tree, and after trying to free it, the line tore away from the bag, leaving the bag in the tree. What I ultimately ended up doing, which I think works better than having a rock bag, is tying a loop, which was three inches long at the end of the line, and putting a mini cord lock on the end. Then, I would find a rock, insert it into the loop, and use the cord lock to tension the loop around the rock. I found it easier to pull the line down if it got tangled in the tree, which it seemed to do less often than a rock bag.

Bronk
07-11-2016, 09:54
Most people just fill a condom with sand and use that.

BlueFeather
07-11-2016, 10:09
The dollar store has those small organza drawstring bags that might work. Not sure if it would be big enough though.

Puddlefish
07-11-2016, 10:32
I too had a bear bag kit that had a rock bag. but one time the bag got entangled in the tree, and after trying to free it, the line tore away from the bag, leaving the bag in the tree. What I ultimately ended up doing, which I think works better than having a rock bag, is tying a loop, which was three inches long at the end of the line, and putting a mini cord lock on the end. Then, I would find a rock, insert it into the loop, and use the cord lock to tension the loop around the rock. I found it easier to pull the line down if it got tangled in the tree, which it seemed to do less often than a rock bag.

I lost my rock bag, and tried that exact same method. The method worked about 50% of the time. There were a lot sites however where I found a single rock in five minutes of searching, at which time the percentage of success dropped ... like a rock. Never failed, the rock would go flying down a ravine, or into some deep brush, off a cliff, or otherwise be lost.

Eventually I just started using a used ziplock as a throw bag, which also let me use a few bits of gravel, or dirt, or sticks or whatever is lying around.

Frye
07-11-2016, 10:43
Not sure if you're looking for just a rock bag or a kit, but MLD's is water proof, and anti gravity gear sells a pretty nice one that comes with a waterproof, odor barrier bag. I think someone already mentioned Zpacks.

If you're just looking for a rock sack, any old tiny stuff sack will do. Used both a heavy grade cuben rock sacks sold by some companies and I've used extremely cheap alternatives picked up from where ever with the same amount of success. I'm not stuffing volcanic rock in these things, and they just don't seem to take as much abuse as you'd think being thrown over trees limbs every night.

Of course others might have different experiences, but I'm pretty sure mine is par for the course.

hikernutcasey
07-11-2016, 11:24
This thread confuses me. It's like trying to find an answer for a problem I've never had. I have never used a "rock bag" and don't understand why there is a need for one in the first place. I just tie the end of my bear line cord around a smallish rock and fling it over the limb. Never had any problems. If you can't find a rock on the A.T. you aren't looking. What am I missing?

Connie
07-11-2016, 11:38
I have been using the rather long tent stakes bag: it is handy, multipurpose, tough, and retrieves well.

If not a rock, pebbles work well. I have also used sand.

daddytwosticks
07-11-2016, 16:08
This thread confuses me. It's like trying to find an answer for a problem I've never had. I have never used a "rock bag" and don't understand why there is a need for one in the first place. I just tie the end of my bear line cord around a smallish rock and fling it over the limb. Never had any problems. If you can't find a rock on the A.T. you aren't looking. What am I missing?

Same here. :)

saltysack
07-11-2016, 20:17

I'd have a hard time explaining that to my wife.......[emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diamondlil
07-11-2016, 20:51

No, most people don't.
However, I used a medium wt nylon Norelco bag of my husbands. Worked like a charm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arden
07-12-2016, 12:05
Someone here at WhiteBlaze said that they used a small grocery store water bottle with a bit of water or sand for weight. I tried it in my back yard and it worked like a charm.
Good luck.
Wayne

That might be my best option. I could then use the water bottle for scooping water from small wells into my "dirty" water bag for filtering.
I probably should buy some more para cord though. I think I have about 50ft, but I have to check it out. Could use a type that doesn't tangle easily.

Arden
07-12-2016, 12:10
Believe it or not, I've not had very much experience hanging my food. I have been using a bear canister for years, but since I'm now getting into longer distances, I have to lighten my pack, so the canister has to go. I'm sure I can find a rock, and tie the cord onto it - but most of the rocks I have at home are too smooth for the cord to stay in one place.
I guess it's been my habit to go looking for a "gadget" for everything I want to do, rather than improvise. Funny that is - when I was a child, I always improvised.

Venchka
07-12-2016, 14:01
That might be my best option. I could then use the water bottle for scooping water from small wells into my "dirty" water bag for filtering.
I probably should buy some more para cord though. I think I have about 50ft, but I have to check it out. Could use a type that doesn't tangle easily.

Try this. Been working since forever.
http://www.animatedknots.com/coiling/#ScrollPoint
Wayne