PDA

View Full Version : ALDHA video transfer help??

weathercarrot
01-06-2006, 15:02
Hi -

Looks like the technical glitches on this ALDHA video project just keep getting worse, with no time left to spare for even more glitches. So this is a desperate plea to anyone out there who has the time and the ability to *reliably* transfer from 8mm video to an AVI or mpeg format that can open in iMovie, Final Cut Pro, Quicktime, and Windows Media Player, and with a screen resolution of 640x480 and NOT 320x240. Anyone out there who can help out? This is a group-project that will benefit lots of people, and I'll credit you at the end of the video. Thanks!

wc

MisterSweetie
01-06-2006, 16:52
Maybe a stupid question here, but is it not common to be able to import in 640x480? I can import video no problem, but at the moment I don't know the resolution. And I can do it soon. But I don't know what screen res I can capture at. I see no reason I couldn't get it at the res you want.

My issue is that I don't have anything I can play 8mm on. But I figure if you're willing to trust me with whatever tape this is (I'm not familiar with the project), then I could maybe borrow your cam too. Or I could probably rent an 8mm camcorder to play it through.

Anyway, feel free to contact me. Maybe it won't work out, but it's worth discussing. How much video are you needing transferred?

weathercarrot
01-06-2006, 17:04
A couple things to mention -

I don't have the camera. This is footage someone else shot, and he's been having all kinds of trouble getting it to suuccessfully transfer to a compatible file, largely because almost every component of his process is old. I'm looking for someone with a camera that can play the tapes, and get it into the right file. Normally it should capture at 640x480, but his software was only allowing for 320x240. When he did it another way to get the higher res, he ran into a series of other glitches, leaving me with just audio and no video. Windows Media player is telling me there's an error with a codec on the AVI files. This is the latest in a long line of problems, and I think it's time to find someone else to do it, if my friend is willing to send all his tapes through the mail. This is hours of ALDHA footage taken at the last 8 Gatherings......

MisterSweetie
01-07-2006, 01:45
Well I'll leave it up to you. Worst comes to worst, I could find somewhere to borrow a Hi8 player for just the transfers. How many hours are we talking about here? I'd guess quite a few... But I'm willing, anyway, provided we could work out the details. Keep me in mind if nothing else comes up that'd be better.

Wolf - 23000
01-07-2006, 19:36
wc,

Where are you? I maybe able to help. My computer is capable to capture 8mm video edit it into an AVI or any almost any other format. I have the several software programs to edit it too. Drop me a line on my email address where and when.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Wolf<o:p></o:p>