PDA

View Full Version : Otter Creek Wilderness, WV

Majortrauma
07-11-2016, 10:23
Returned on 10 July from a 4 day hike in the OCW. Hiked mostly along the Otter Creek Trail but also hiked a few others on our loop. When "they" say the trails are relatively unmarked, that is a gross understatement. There is not a single marker of any sort along the entire trail with the exception of rock cairns to indicate that yes, this is a trail. Simple wooden markers at intersections with trail numbers like Tr 128, 129, 130, 131, 150, 165 would be extremely helpful. Yes, we did have maps and yes I was aware that land navigations skills were essential but still, markers at intersections would have been very helpful. If you are not good with a map and compass do not go up there unless you have a very reliable GPS. Also, there is almost zero cell service so thinking you will relay on your map apps on your phone is foolish. One of my companions did get a 3 minute window where he was able to send a quick text to his wife but that was it.
The trails are also very poorly maintained. Sections of 131, especially in the section btwn the intersections of 138, 158, 131 and 131 and 128 are in real danger of being totally consumed by nature in the next two years if they are not aggressively maintained. Some parts of 131 will likely have to be moved away from Otter Creek because the trail has either washed away along the bank of the creek or is on the verge of doing so. I know it's been a rough year up there and I did see evidence of crews doing some maintenance but a lot of work remains. I'm not passing any judgment on the clubs who do trail maintenance, I am merely passing on my experiences in the OCW.
We had one experience with a bear in broad daylight 3 miles south on 131 from the Dry Fork Trailhead. He/she was not at all intimidated by humans. Matter of fact, when it was scared away eventually, it merely circled around us and came back up the trail behind us. It eventually left and never bothered us again and we hung our food every night.
OCW is a beautiful area and it is true wilderness. I am very grateful to have such beauty so close. Simple trail markers would not diminish that beauty though. :D

mankind117
07-11-2016, 11:48
Sounds about right for otter creek. Seeing it is a wilderness area, there are limits to what maintenance can be done as there are no power tools technically allowed and the trails will never be blazed. That being said, 99% of all trails are maintained by volunteers, if you don't like the trail conditions carry a pair or loppers and a folding saw and do some work while you hike or volunteer to do some maintenance.

Majortrauma
07-11-2016, 12:12
I know they can't be blazed but not necessary. I'm just talking simple, wooden blocks at the intersections to mark trails which is allowed. We did some trail maintenance with our saws but the amount of effort required to save that trail from being consumed by mother nature is overwhelming.

Studlintsean
07-11-2016, 15:09
I spent a weekend in the Otter Creek Wilderness last summer to celebrate my dog's 10th birthday (I wanted a secluded area where he could swim). Some of the trails were in fact in horrible condition. I brought the map and was able to navigate my way around pretty well but I came across a father/ son team who were not doing so well. They were on their first backpacking trip and came into my camp around 8:00 or 9:00 PM to ask if I knew where they were on the map. After showing them and hearing the first thunder start to roll in I let them know I would not be offended if they wanted to call it a day (they were obviously worn down) and setup right where I was and where I was just getting started on a fire. It turned out to be a great trip and they were quite thankful that they came across my tent campsite. I look forward to going back sometime.