PDA

View Full Version : What it cost me

Slo-go'en
07-11-2016, 18:01
It cost me about $1400 to hike from Happers Ferry, WV to Glencliff, NH, less the 100 miles of Vermont I skipped (Manchester center to Hanover), or about 700 miles. So, that works out to $2 a mile for one of the more expensive sections of trail.

I put $920 on my debit card and somehow blew through $500 or $600 in cash. (I forget exactly how much cash I brought with me)

$350 was spent on accommodations, $255 on new gear (boots, superfeet and a new shirt), the rest went to food and I was still hungry.

johnnybgood
07-11-2016, 18:06
Testament that the $1 per mile hike isn't remotely a reality anymore.

egilbe
07-11-2016, 18:26
One instance is not the norm. Sheesh

johnnybgood
07-11-2016, 19:05
The math speaks for itself pal.

rocketsocks
07-11-2016, 21:02
One instance is not the norm. Sheeshif by norm ya mean parting all the way, then yeah, but if ya mean it's inacurate because it's only one persons accounting, well there again okay. But if ya want to know what it takes to get there at a minimum...then I trust his numbers.

Greenlight
07-12-2016, 07:01
Such a darn shame that walking makes one hungry. :)
...the rest went to food and I was still hungry.

Marta
07-12-2016, 07:55
Good information.

Can one hike more cheaply? Some people can; some people can't, even if they deluded themselves ahead of time about how disciplined they could/would be. (I'm never going to sleep indoors; I'm going to forage for food; etc.)

Can one spend a lot more? Definitely.

This sounds like a happy median, though. Thanks for sharing.

Slo-go'en
07-12-2016, 10:15
I tried to do this hike as inexpensively as I could, without being too cheap about it. I stayed off trail about once a week and took three zeros over the course of 8 weeks. I typically had one restaurant meal at each town stop washed down with one beer. All but one town stop was at a hostel (we'll call the Doyle a hostel).

Here's the break down:

Teahorse hostel, Happers ferry $35 + $10 for boy scout send off breakfast + $33.34 for initial trail food.
Pine Grove Furnace state park ~$30 for a meal and small resupply
Boiling Springs/Carlisle ~$30 for meal and small resupply
Duncannon, The Doyle $26.50 room + 16.65 meal + $23.74 resupply food
Rock n Sole hostel at RT 138 - $50 (two nights) + $10 dinner + $58 resupply (my first zero)
Port Clinton, $12 small resupply
Palmerton, $10 for shower/night in the garage + $25 meals + $18 small resupply
Delaware Water Gap - free stay at my sisters place and second zero, + $34 resupply + $20 for new socks.
Vernon, NJ, $20 hostel donation, ~$50 for meals and resupply (looks like I used cash here so not sure of exact amount)
Graymore Monastery, free stay (and third zero) + $100 on meals and resupply. (The AT Deli is really expensive!)
Additional $50 for a meal the Gyp Tavern, a banana split at the creamery and a few odds and ends at the Nursery in NY.
Kent, CT $20 meal + $27 resupply
Bearded Woods Hostel, $50 for one night stay (but includes dinner and breakfast)
Salisbury, CT - $45 resupply
Great Barrington, MA - $49 resupply, $9 at McD's
Dalton, MA $86 room at Shamrock motel, $20 meals, $47 resupply
Cheshire, MA $15 hotdog, ice cream and soda
North Adams, MA - $23 resupply
Mount Graylock, Bascom lodge - $45 ( I resisted buying a $10 beer or a $50 dinner)
Manchester Center, $17 resupply, $20 meal, $256 gear (stayed a friends house, who then drove me to Hanover, NH)
Hanover, NH $21 resupply
Glencliff, NH Hikers Welcome hostel - $20
Postage sending stuff home - $35
Plus a lot of cash I can't really account for.

Bronk
07-12-2016, 10:48
Problem is people get on here wanting to know how cheaply a hike can be done and we have all of these people on here saying how you can do it on a shoestring and people get out there and the reality is much different. Everybody thinks they are going to be one of those rare few that hike the whole trail on $1000. Truth is you won't know until you get out there what you're going to spend, and for most people today that number is going to be at least around $5000 for a thruhike. I hiked for 4 months and 850 miles 14 years ago spending only about $1600, but if I were to make another attempt today I wouldn't start with less that $5000.

gpburdelljr
07-12-2016, 11:05
The math speaks for itself pal.
You can't draw any conclusions from one data point.

garlic08
07-12-2016, 11:17
If you spent $1400 on an eight week trip including part of New England, you did very well controlling spending. I have a similar approach to spending, and my hikes usually cost around $1000/month (including transportation and gear replacement). I've heard many others opine that $1000/month is a good average for the AT.

The big question in planning is, then, how many miles can you hike in a month? And how long do you want to, or can afford to, stay out there? And of course, a faster hike is generally a cheaper hike.

colorado_rob
07-12-2016, 11:27
You can't draw any conclusions from one data point.No of course, you cannot. Maybe the original point is that it does cost more than some hope for, and perhaps some who quote very low costs are not including all costs.

My cost was over 8 grand (pushing 9!) for the entire trail, about four bucks a mile, but it involved multiple times travelling to/from the trail, and I did splurge many times, staying in actual hotels instead of hostels, and staying in nice B&B's up north, etc. I think the absolute minimum I could personally do would be that two bucks a mile, just over four grand. I tip my hat to any who can do the AT in 2-3 thousand range. And I call BS on those that say they do it less than say, $1500.

gracebowen
07-12-2016, 11:56
Yes. I no longer think it can be done so cheap either. I started out thinking 1k a month is way too much. I did originally think around 1500 for a total hike. Ive come to realize that food alone will cost at least that month.

Im still aiming for a 3k or less hike though. Please keep in mind that this is coming from a single mom supporting 2kids and my mom on a monthly income of 2600 with about 1600 going to fixed expenses.

For many years we had way less income. Frugal but nice is nothing new to me. I will say I am glad the days of "mommy ate earlier" "mommy will eat later" are over.meaning I no longer have to skip meals so the kids can eat.

Connie
07-12-2016, 12:21
Thank you for the actual numbers at each stop.

I would say that is money well spent.

(I spend ~$1,300 a month staying at home.)

If I didn't have rent I could do this.

As it is, I "section hike" 4-5 days and 6-8 days at most. That works for me.

Even two to three days hike/camp is money well spent.

CamelMan
07-12-2016, 18:50
Im still aiming for a 3k or less hike though. Please keep in mind that this is coming from a single mom supporting 2kids and my mom on a monthly income of 2600 with about 1600 going to fixed expenses.

For many years we had way less income. Frugal but nice is nothing new to me. I will say I am glad the days of "mommy ate earlier" "mommy will eat later" are over.meaning I no longer have to skip meals so the kids can eat.

Wow. I'm sorry you had to live through that. Kudos to you for making it through. As for the AT, I would think that getting in shape for a shorter hike, making frugal food choices, and getting used to being outdoors rather than in hostels would go some way towards meeting your goals. You'll still eat per mile, though, since the cliche rule of thumb is that it takes 100 calories to go a mile.

rafe
07-12-2016, 19:20
You can't draw any conclusions from one data point.

Sure you can, merely from its existence. It doesn't tell us anything about the minimum or maximum, but it says that this amount is possible.

Knowing a bit about Slo, I'd suggest further that the real minimum isn't far below his cited figure. He doesn't strike me as one who spends needlessly or ostentatiously.

I never kept close track of my expenses on the AT but I'm fairly certain I spent as much or more, per mile, as Slo. I need a town stop every four or five days, if at all possible. I'm OK with paying for shuttles, etc.

gracebowen
07-12-2016, 19:44
Wow. I'm sorry you had to live through that. Kudos to you for making it through. As for the AT, I would think that getting in shape for a shorter hike, making frugal food choices, and getting used to being outdoors rather than in hostels would go some way towards meeting your goals. You'll still eat per mile, though, since the cliche rule of thumb is that it takes 100 calories to go a mile.
Thank you. We finally became stable about 5 years ago when I was finally able to buy a mobile home. The kids finally have their own home. Though we are still at poverty level we generally do very well. I shop sales and stock up.

Ive done alot of research and thinking. Despite the negativity on wb I have decided food by mail will be best for me.

Pasta $1. Pasta sauce $1.50. Frequently its buy sauce get pasta free. That makes 4 meals for 2.50. The savings will more than cover mailing costs. Right now its 14 for med box and 7 for small box. Im thinking med box makes more sense.

Also costco has 30 days dehydrated food for 90 with about 2k calories. Im eventuay gonna buy one to try. It comes with a water filter.

I know thats not enough daily caloriee for a thru but its a good start. I also plan to splurge and get dehydrated beef, butter and maybe cheese. Ill also make dehydrated meals at home. Ill supplement as I go.

Im gonna need to get mail probably weekly anyways due to medicines and special diet things. Im looking at the ideal to get every 10 days to save mailing costs.

I also need to go back to the post office to get a small box to see what all I can fit in there.

I have a list of hostels on and near trail. Several are currently $20 a night.

If I stay at a donation based hostel I will donate. Im cheap but not that cheap.
I wont be a mooch and I wont steal.

gracebowen
07-12-2016, 20:14
Own home yes. But I meant own room.