PDA

View Full Version : Camping in the Watauga "Bear" Area

Dan Roper
07-11-2016, 20:59
Ladies and Gents,

Me and my two adult sons will be backpacking Dennis Cove Road (Hampton, TN) to Damascus late this week. We ordinarily do 10 to 15 miles each day. A few questions:

1. I know Watauga Shelter is closed due to nuisance bears. My AT Conservancy profile map shows a good tenting site at nearby Griffiths Branch. Is this a problem due to proximity to the shelter?
2. Any other good tenting sites between Highway 321 and Watauga Lake Road?
3. How is the water between Hampton and Damascus thus far this summer? Georgia has been incredibly dry, but perhaps northeastern Tennessee hasn't.

Lone Wolf
07-11-2016, 21:12
stay at boots off hostel close to the lake

Gambit McCrae
07-12-2016, 08:15
3. How is the water between Hampton and Damascus thus far this summer? Georgia has been incredibly dry, but perhaps northeastern Tennessee hasn't.

Water at Vendeventer shelter is known as one of the steepest walks down to get. However, it is a long haul up from the lake to the shelter, and Vendenenter shelter to Iron Mountain shelter is usually a pretty dry stretch thru out the year. I did it in November and it was dry past Iron mountain shelter. I did Cross mountain to Damascus in a day and don't remember filling up water.

Tennessee Viking
07-12-2016, 08:56
Ladies and Gents,

Me and my two adult sons will be backpacking Dennis Cove Road (Hampton, TN) to Damascus late this week. We ordinarily do 10 to 15 miles each day. A few questions:

1. I know Watauga Shelter is closed due to nuisance bears. My AT Conservancy profile map shows a good tenting site at nearby Griffiths Branch. Is this a problem due to proximity to the shelter?
2. Any other good tenting sites between Highway 321 and Watauga Lake Road?

The entire length from US321 to Wilbur Dam Road is closed to all camping. There is a decent tenting spot as soon as you cross the road into Big Laurel Branch Wilderness.

TOW
07-12-2016, 09:13
Just got a report that from Damascus to 91 is dry. Like Wolf said stay at the new hostel Boot's Off when you first set out or hike way past Watauga north because there has been constant bear activity

Malto
07-12-2016, 09:16
The entire length from US321 to Wilbur Dam Road is closed to all camping. There is a decent tenting spot as soon as you cross the road into Big Laurel Branch Wilderness.

Bears have been active at this campsite as well. Some thru hikers had food stolen from a crappy hang so plan accordingly.

B_Rizzle
07-12-2016, 09:22
We just did this section the first week in july.

We slack packed from Wilbur dam back to Dennis Cove.
We then hiked 11 miles to iron mountain shelter
Them 15+ to abingdon gap.
Then 10 to damascus.
I'm glad we slack packed because of the lack of water and all the bear activity around.

Pond flats was dry.
Mile 434 spring had a small puddle
Mile 439 was dry at spring
Iron mountain shelter had small puddle
Double springs shelter and low gap had good water.

Hopefully it rained since then. Be prepared to walk a ways down the ridge to get water at several shelters, blue blazes.

mountain squid
07-12-2016, 09:22
There are lots (and lots) of blowdowns in the area from last weeks storm. Hiking will be difficult in some areas. TEHCC maintainers will be out on Thu.

See you on the trail,
mt squid