PDA

View Full Version : Saint Ignace to Grand Sable Visitor Center

edmoll13
07-11-2016, 23:55
Finished another spectacular section of the NCT. This time it was the eastern UP! Amazing scenery! Earlier in the year I also did a majority of the completed trail in southern Michigan. I have a detailed page about all NCT hikes I've done (actually still a few in southern Michigan to put on the blog). Total unique miles completed just surpassed 1000 and still more than 75% of trail left!

See here: http://ericshikes.blogspot.com/p/north-country-trail.html. I have also created a youtube playlist with my favorite photos for each section (also available at my blog). I did my best to label them as well.

Odd Man Out
07-12-2016, 12:13
Excellent, but how could you stop at GSVC though? The next 40 miles through PRNL is awesome (maybe you've done that already?). I met a NCT thru hiker last year in Grand Marais when we were getting ready for our hike from there to Munising through PRNL. Great hike.

edmoll13
07-12-2016, 18:04
Yes, I did the Pictured Rocks in the fall of 2014. Truly spectacular! The report should be listed on the blog right above the St Ignace to GSVC section. It's also in the YouTube playlist. Also see:
http://www.trailgroove.com/issue22.html?autoflip=105

I actually had time to day-hike the mosquito falls/chapel falls loop after finishing the section to the visitor center. I plan to finish a report on that as I have time. Probably one of the best day-hikes in Michigan!

Thanks for reading and if you have time try out some other sections of the NCT. You won't have to worry about permits and few crowds, plus the opportunity to disperse camp nearly anywhere!

Odd Man Out
07-12-2016, 19:04
If there's a more picturesque beach than Chapel Beach I'd like to know. Pure white sand beach on the world's largest lake, crystal clear water as far as the eye can see, flanked by cliffs, a tree growing out of a dramatic rock formation, a waterfall and campground. Oh my.

Lost Woodsman
07-19-2016, 10:23
I've been reading your blog for a bit now Eric, ever since a friend of mine on the Hammock Forums told me about it. We own land near Trout Lake, so the eastern UP is my part time stomping grounds. Love your photos man, thanks for sharing!