PDA

View Full Version : Novice hiker looking for hiking partner in TN

Rebecca Pugh
01-06-2006, 15:52
I am interested in someone who "knows the ropes" and would be willing to be my partner on my first real hike. I would prefer TN area. I am a runner, so i am sure that I will not be a hinderance. I just need some experience. Thanks

shades of blue
01-06-2006, 16:21
You should give Soruck a try. It's on the weekend on MLK day...that Friday-Sunday(or monday). I think Sly knows alot about it if you want to contact him. There will be quite a few "experienced" hikers there, and they will have two AT day hikes. That would be a good way to gain a little experience and meet some new friends. It's at the NOC in Wesser, NC...beautiful area, the AT goes right through there and crosses over the river.

The Solemates
01-06-2006, 16:54
i second the SoRuck idea. it would be a great way to meet others in person, rather than online, that may wanna hike with you. I will be there, after hiking in along the bartram. many will be helpful in showing you around if you feel outta place.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/soruck/

expenditioner
01-06-2006, 17:07
Where in TN and when?Im about an hour to hour and half from the AT

ficade
01-06-2006, 20:53
I section hike thru the Smokies every March to test gear, (get in shape) and enjoy the beginning of a great hiking season. I usally go alone but would enjoy company this time. Would be more than willing to help/guide. Let me know when you would like to go. :-) Happy Hiking.

Lilred
01-06-2006, 22:18
Hi Rebecca and :welcome

I live north of Nashville. There's a few of us hikers in your area from here on Whiteblaze and lots of great places to hike. What do you consider your first 'real hike'? Have you thought about joining the TTA? Tennesse Trails Association. They have scheduled day hikes every weekend and some overnighters.
http://www.tennesseetrails.org/

Just click on the 'calendar' link in the upper left hand corner for the schedule of hikes. Also, if you're familiar with the outfitter, Cumberland Transit, they schedule hikes as well. Anyone can sign up at either of these places without being a member. I've gone on several of this hikes with both groups and the people were great.

http://www.cumberlandtransit.com/ Click on 'events' on the left.

Hope this helps. I won't be going on any long trips till later in the spring and summer. I'm going out for the month of June this summer on the AT, wouldn't mind a hiking partner then. Spring Break is the end of March and was planning on going out for a few days then as well. Let me know if you'd like to go along.

timhines
01-06-2006, 22:53
rebecca, i'm new too and plan to attend the SoRuck.

Too bad you live in TN, we live near the NOC where SoRuck is going to be held, but at any rate we are looking to start some weekend overnight hikes to get broke in to doing that sort of thing. I've always hiked but never overnight.

Maybe we can bump into you there.

Tim

Sly
01-06-2006, 23:20
Of course I third the idea of attending the SoRuck.

Besides being a hiker get-together, it's concept from the beginning is to help new hikers and future thru-hikers. They'll be a lots of experienced hikers willing to share. Most will be from the area so lining up a hike with someone you feel comfortable shouldn't be a problem.

Shades, Solemate, Tim, Rebbeca and others, if you plan on attending and want a SoRuck nametag let me know.

For more info, click here. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/soruck)

LuTotten
01-25-2006, 23:30
I live in Ga and have been section hiking for several years, let me know the dates/location and if you want another girl and trail dog tagging along.

karo
01-26-2006, 00:32
Rebecca, Are you a member of TTA? I think I may have met you at one of our meetings. I am a member and have posted several hikes there and on thebackpacker.com. Your name sounds familar thats for sure. I currently work nights so I don't make too many meetings. If I am wrong, then I invite you to join us for a meeting or two to decide if you want to join. TTA Columbia/Franklin chapter meets the first Tuesday of the month at the China Buffet in Spring Hill. There are lots of women members and our new president is Sherrie Yokley. I went on a trip to Sipsey Wilderness recently and hope to plan a trip real soon. You can email me at [email protected]
:welcome Kerry "Karo" Sumners

Rain Man
01-26-2006, 15:47
Rebecca,

My wife and I hike Radnor Lake State Natural Area here in Nashville regularly, plus on occasion the Big South Fork NRRA and Mt. LeConte in the Smokies, also a little down at the Savage Gulf and the Fiery Gizzard Trail.

In November we did a long weekend on the AT to Hot Springs, NC. Right now we are planning another weekend hike (perhaps) over Presidents' Day weekend in February.

We'd be happy to talk with you about including you on an outing. Might help with the shuttling of vehicles! We're a little older than you are, but don't live too far away from you. I used to be a runner and we both used to be cavers. Now we hike and backpack, but not nearly as much as we'd like. And watch out for that Lilredmg gal ... she's liable to hike you into the ground. She's one tough hiker!!! Carrried all my food for me once, for a week.
:D
I'll second all the motions that you join the Tennessee Trails Association and one of its chapters. Lots of hiking going on with organized groups in Tennessee.
http://www.tennesseetrails.org/

Best to you!
Rain:sunMan

silvereagle
02-20-2006, 16:23
Hi Rebecca: I have a great group of friends that I have met through various outdoor groups located in the Nashville area. I recommend checking out TTA, they have some enjoyable hikes and hike leaders. Team Green is also a very nice group that have more "adventurous" outings. Check out the Smoky Mountain Hiking Club as well. My hiking friends all live in the Nashville area and we try to get to the Smokys, for those really long, strenuous hikes, almost every weekend. We also plan several extended backpacking trips throughout the year. If you feel like you would like to experience some intense hiking, backpacking, feel free to contact me. [email protected] Brian