PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping bags

Fireplug
07-12-2016, 16:15
Just curious what people are using. I used a 40 degree down fill bag this June in GA and NC. Was cold a few nights. So just curious what people use on a thru hike. Thinking of a Marmot Plasma 15 degree with a silk liner starting in March 2017

Greenlight
07-12-2016, 16:26
evrgrn Crashsack 40 degree "walking" sleeping bag. It's nice, more like a quilt, but it has arm holes and tie-ups at the corners so it doesn't drag the ground while you're wearing it around camp.

Just curious what people are using. I used a 40 degree down fill bag this June in GA and NC. Was cold a few nights. So just curious what people use on a thru hike. Thinking of a Marmot Plasma 15 degree with a silk liner starting in March 2017

Fireplug
07-12-2016, 16:38
I'm not a sleep walker lol

nsherry61
07-12-2016, 18:29
I'm not a sleep walker lol
Yeah, but with a Crashsack 40, you could be!

Venchka
07-12-2016, 18:38

Without knowing exactly what you were sleeping in and what you had between you and the ground, your experience in June tells us nothing.
The Plasma 15 will be fine and/or overkill until June unless you are a terminally cold sleeper.
Chances are you will need 2 systems for a thru hike.
Without R-5 insulation under you, the Plasma will not be a 15 degree bag.
There are too many variables to know if a particular bag will work for a particular person. One way to find out: use a system in the real world.
Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."

Fireplug
07-12-2016, 20:14
I would put my thermo-rest foam pad down the my thermo-rest air mattress. I think it's a R-4. Also used a silk bag liner. My bag was a 40 degree bag. I didn't take my 20 degree bag. It's a spiral 800 down fill. I was just curious what others use

AfterParty
07-12-2016, 21:46
30' EE revolution quilt

jj dont play
07-12-2016, 22:11
25 deg jacks r better quilt. Started mid April on AT coldest I experienced was 28 in the smokies and I was fine. I hike fast and zoomed thru the warmer areas on had a handful of truly warm nights and didn't have much issue with the same quilt just laid on top me left open. In a Vermont now and nights are a little cooler and again it's great not too warm.You will likely get colder temps with a March start but 25 deg will be fine. A quilt is the way to go for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk