PDA

View Full Version : Gear list shakedown hike planning.

AfterParty
07-13-2016, 17:57
Mystery ranch glacier
Marmot starlight 2p plastic drop cloth fp
Waiting for a 900 EE revolution long reg full 20d outter I like camo
**Need plytatpus filter 2 l
Plty 2l bottle
1 pair fingerless neoprene glove's
Foggtogg ul set
Orage puffy
Thremarest pillow
Or ditty bag set
1.First aid, sewing, patches, green gold bond, lip balm
2. 550 cord, tiny fishing pole, fillet knife, cell, wallet, hygine
3. Poncho liner till my quilts done
S2S 20l for food bag 3 days
Trowl
Wisperlite +11ozs Colman fuel, lighter
Toaks 1600 with skillet lid and spoon what size would be good for baking inside this?
Tubeless roll tp
Self inflating mat that I had already.
Birkenstocks.

I am planning a 2 day 24 mile loop of our lake near my town. Easiest place to start for me right now. I plan to do the coligate loop next summer. Just getting into bp. What am I missing for an entire thru? My pack is great and distributes the weight well I really am pleased with it even though its on the heavy side at just over 5 lbs. I still wouldn't trade it. The tent is nice and can be picthed with 2 rocks and a stick as its non freestanding. I still need to figure out the clothing aspect. I have decided on the tent and not bringing the hammock. I'm happy just seeing what I'm forgeting

-Rush-
07-13-2016, 23:01
Mystery Ranch doesn't make packs that are worthy of thru-hiking IMO. They are for rugged preppers and military types doing short trips. I met an ex-soldier on the trail with a 30lb ruck (empty) and 50lbs of gear stuffed in it. I met him in the Wolfpen Gap Hostel (he had been there for three days) waiting on replacement gear to arrive. He did 25 miles that day and about ruined himself.

1. Go make a profile at Lighterpack.com and figure out what kind of weight you're dealing with. It will also help with organizing and getting future advice.
2. If it's over 35lbs with 4 days/food and 1L of water you need to start looking at changing some gear out.
3. You'll be carrying winter gear on a thru-hike attempt, so I suggest 15-20lb base weight MAX.
4. Any prep is better than none, but if you're not taking pre-hikes with similar terrain and elevation you're selling your training and research short.

Maydog
07-14-2016, 00:01
One idea to improve your training is to go to your local high school football stadium and hike the bleachers up and down with your pack on.

MtDoraDave
07-14-2016, 07:38
I think you're forgetting a light.
Most of us use a headlight of some kind. The minimalists use the tiny ones that use a watch type battery, I use the larger, heavier kind that uses 3 AAA batteries. I have found myself night hiking on more trips than the ones I don't, and after coming up on some critters along the trail, I decided to upgrade to 200 lumens. The 100 lumen h/l I used to use is more than sufficient for seeing well enough to hike, but it wasn't strong enough to identify the critters only 40 feet away.
Also, I always bring a spare lighter, stored in a bag, in a separate location in my pack than the first lighter. The Mini-bic lighters are small but reliable (when dry).

Connie
07-14-2016, 07:59
Birkenstocks? Are Birkenstocks still sandals with a cork footbed?

I would think you will need a well-groomed park trail for Birkenstocks.

AfterParty
07-14-2016, 08:41
I forgot I do have a head lamp, and the berks are just camp shoes I dislike crocs but I may get some cheaper lighter flip flops. Good idea on a spare lighter.

Rush, why do you dislike mystery ranch? I feel my MR will be in good shape after a thru. Weights great

la.lindsey
07-14-2016, 09:14
I forgot I do have a head lamp, and the berks are just camp shoes I dislike crocs but I may get some cheaper lighter flip flops. Good idea on a spare lighter.

Rush, why do you dislike mystery ranch? I feel my MR will be in good shape after a thru. Weights great

Are they the cork birks or the plastic ones?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Puddlefish
07-14-2016, 10:16
I'm not a fan of fingerless gloves, for me at least they make my fingers colder, maybe from cutting off circulation or something? I'd go with some cheap glove liners that let your hands get wet, but insulates a bit.

I preferred zip lock bags to small ditty bags. Can see what's inside and find small items without emptying them out and risking item loss/misplacement.

I'd replace that lip balm with sunscreen. Can use sunscreen directly on your lips. Most lip balms have a mild irritant that initially soothes, but makes your lips worse in the long run without constant re-application.

Same deal with "medicated" gold bond. The "medication" is menthol, a mild irritant. Body glide works great for preventing chafing during the day, hydrocortisone works great to heal any chafe at night.

Add in an unscented plastic compactor bag to use as a pack liner to keep everything dry.

Just from looking at MRs websites, those packs look seriously heavy and overbuilt for hiking on a trail. Compare against a basic Osprey Exos 48 or 58, and I think you'll find the Osprey to be cheaper, lighter, and more ventilated. If your goal is to carry your camping gear as well as a bonus case of beer, and slide back downhill while riding your pack like a sled, go for the MR I guess. Seems like the MR is more of a fashion over function decision to me.

chknfngrs
07-14-2016, 11:16
Five pounds, by itself is extremely heavy for most if not all al long distance hikers these days. It's your pack, your hike, do with it what you will. The folks on this board will tell you what they think and you asked for it, too.

http://www.mysteryranch.com/glacier-pack-ex

If you want a better shot at completing a long hike, lighten your load anywhere you can. Sentiments aside, you should find a lighter pack while not breaking up with your beloved one. It's not like your cheating on it or anything ;)

CamelMan
07-14-2016, 21:38
If I wanted a heavy, robust pack, I would just get an external frame for 1/3 the price, but that's just my personal preference for carrying heavy loads in style. That tent looks nice. I'm curious if you can actually get away with the 1.75 lb minimum weight. I suppose you just pull and anchor the ends and it stays popped up?

Anyway, I agree with Puddlefish about the full-finger gloves. Fingerless gloves kind of defeat the whole purpose. It sucks to bring colder gloves than you need to be comfortable.

No duct tape!? It could replace half your stuff, like the sewing kit, patches, moleskin in your FAK, even your wallet (http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Duct-Tape-Wallet). The luxuries I personally wouldn't take, but it's your hike. I might take some clothes, though. ;)

scrabbler
07-14-2016, 22:00
Fishing pole? Are you hiking or camping?

Sarcasm the elf
07-14-2016, 22:26
While I personally use a much lighter pack, I've met plenty of thru hikers using 6lb packs and doing just fine (mostly the Gregory Baltoro) . Load it up and go on that weekend hike and see what you think of it and what you think of your other gear. I don't see anything obvious that you left out besides a compactor or lawn and leaf bag to line the pack with for rain protection.

I see a few things on the list that you could easily ditch, but I won't list them because I bothered to read your whole question and see that it's not what you asked. ;)

scrabbler
07-14-2016, 22:30
I see a few things on the list that you could easily ditch, but I won't list them because I bothered to read your whole question and see that it's not what you asked. ;)

Interesting. Please expand on what you think was asked? "Gear List Shakedown" is pretty broad title, and not narrowed down much in the post. "What am I missing?" How about shaving a new pounds?

AfterParty
07-14-2016, 23:52
Camelman I have the 2p tent a little bigger with room to sit up inside if I want. But yes you secure both ends in a pinch. I pitched it in my living room with a brick 2 Lt of water and a stick. But I do ike it quite well can be done in the rain if you leave the fly attached.

I'm hiking 2000 miles I'm wanna eat some fresh fish Va has .25 of the at I'm gonna fish some there. Zero day or Nero I like fish.

-Rush-
07-15-2016, 03:51

Sorry if it came across that way. I don't dislike Mystery Ranch. They make awesome gear, but for a thru-hike 5+ pounds is a lot for a pack. The extra 3-4 pounds compared to other pack options can be allocated to other gear/consumables you'll be carrying. The pack doesn't need to survive being dropped out of a bomber or protect your back from shrapnel on the Appalachian Trail. :p

If you're serious about completing a thru-hike you want to take the path of least resistance. This isn't gram weenie nonsense, this is about injury avoidance, energy conservation, and keeping a good pace. The heavier the pack the slower and more prone to injury you become. Having said that, if you are dead set on keeping a 5+ pound pack, there's probably a configuration that will allow you to carry it, but it might cost you a lot more $$$ buying specific UL gear to keep the total pack weight in check.

AfterParty
07-15-2016, 17:12
No problems. I owned a MR disc golf bag previously, also I am a backpack and glove fanatic, I look at it as buying one pack that will last me forever. I'm happy with my choices. I'm under 30 and that's easy strolling. I understand the norm here is ul. I am only striving for lightweight.

-Rush-
07-15-2016, 18:21
I'm under 30 and that's easy strolling.

HYOH and if you make it 2189 miles to Katahdin with a MR pack I'll buy you a 12-pack of WhiteBlaze ale.

saltysack
07-16-2016, 11:42
No problems. I owned a MR disc golf bag previously, also I am a backpack and glove fanatic, I look at it as buying one pack that will last me forever. I'm happy with my choices. I'm under 30 and that's easy strolling. I understand the norm here is ul. I am only striving for lightweight.

Ain't nothin light about a pack that's 5+ lbs...for every extra lb it just decreases your chance for success....you'll learn after a few trips what's needed and what's not...heavy vs light...etc...save yourself $$ now and buy good light gear......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alnitak
07-18-2016, 10:13
I'm hiking 2000 miles I'm wanna eat some fresh fish Va has .25 of the at I'm gonna fish some there. Zero day or Nero I like fish. I live in Virginia, and have hiked and camped pretty extensively, including a lot of SNP. In fact, I just got back from four days hiking/camping in SNP. Forget the fishing pole if you expect to live off fish. Unless you are in someplace like Harper's Ferry, there will be no fish of sufficient size in any water that is easy access to the AT. The bigger water, and bigger fish, are down in the valleys. All you get in the little mountain stream pools are 3" Brookies...and 9" is minimum to keep. Down in the flatlands, the Thornton, Rappahannock, etc. can provide sustenance...but they are a long ways away from the AT.