PDA

View Full Version : How to protect gear from my dog? (tent/mattress)

r0wdy
07-14-2016, 08:00
Hi, I am about to buy some gear and I was concerned about damage from my dog. I have a 60lb husky-lab mix, and I'm about to buy a lightweight tent and air mattress (and everything else). My main concern are his nails, I am worried they might puncture my mattress, or the sides of my tent. I would trim his nails down and maybe even sand them down before we would go on a trip, but I am still worried they might puncture something. He might stretch his legs out during the night and I'm concerned his paws would push against the tent and possibly damage it.

The tent in mind is a Skyscape Trekker (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/Trekker.html) and the mattress in mind is the NeoAir Xlite. (https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5041-049/NeoAir-Xlite-Sleeping-Pad)

I was thinking maybe some kind of mattress cover, or I put some dog socks on him during the night when he sleeps. I don't want to carry around a lot of extra weight either. I also think he will just try to get the socks off during the night. Should I be concerned at all? Or will they likely not break anything? He wouldn't be sleeping on my air mattress, it would just be me. I am thinking of buying this (http://gossamergear.com/nightlight-sleeping-pad-torso-length.html) as a bed for him (doubles as the frame of my pack)

I am interested in hearing what dog owners experiences have been like in regards to this.

Thanks!

kjbrown
07-14-2016, 08:10
Try the dog socks first, lightest and cheapest option first. Start by using them at home when you go to bed at night and makthem fun with a great motavation treat to wear them and just keep increasing the time by about 15 every few days and see how that works.

Connie
07-14-2016, 08:11
I could not get my Akita to wear dog booties.

I haven't seen dog socks: do they have a velcro strap? That might work.

I say: try the dog socks around the house.

Maybe a chew toy or nice dog bone will keep him amused while he wears the socks, at first.

Gambit McCrae
07-14-2016, 08:25
I have tried 2 different types of dog booties. Dogs were not designed to where shoes! The shoes gave him more long lasting issues then long miles barefoot did.

Put the dog in the vestibule, have a tent that is dog vestibule appropriate, or have a zrest ccf pad and a dog trained to gracefully enter the tent and lay on their pad. I guess I am lucky, mine just picked it up no problem. He'se done it for about 1500 miles of trail. Nowdays he spends most of his time either in the vestibule, or even better is at grannys house while I go backpacking.

Ted M
07-14-2016, 09:33
That's why I use a tarp. 8x10 with the NeoAir XLite. Plenty of room for me and my two one hundred pound Labs. Plus they can come and go as nature calls.

saltysack
07-14-2016, 10:25
Run your pup on asphalt...will keep his nails smooth...keep your quilt or bag over your xlite..I've never had an issue but my pup Is only 20lbs and I keep him zipped up in his sleeping bag when inside tent..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rocketsocks
07-14-2016, 10:29
Sorry to soun brash, but if your not ready for some dog rash, your prolly not ready for a dog. Do the dog a favor and leave him behind on this one.

rocketsocks
07-14-2016, 10:33
Instead of fixing the dog, maybe fix what you can do...use a foam pad mentality, that kinda stuff. Again didn't want to come off as harsh but didn't know how else to say it.

DuneElliot
07-14-2016, 10:33
When I first started backpacking I would always take my dogs. I still do, but often leave one at home if someone is here. I started out with an SMD Lunar Solo and had no issues with claws and floors...anything but CF is stretchy and has some give to it so a stretched out paw isn't going to put a hole in it. Now I have moved on to a CF Duplex tent I worry more about paws and claws. I don't have my dog in the tent with me unless the storm is a bad one (one happened once) and then she lays on their CCF foam bed and doesn't move. Generally my dogs sleep on CCF squares in the two awnings with their leashes attached to the hiking/tent poles.

My sleeping pad is slightly tougher than the one you are suggesting and while I don't worry about paws laying down, I wouldn't let a dog walk on it. Maybe sacrificing a few ozs on the sleeping pad for something tougher would put your mind at ease more (I have the 19oz Klymit Static V Lite). Or, as mentioned, have her sleep under the awning on her own CCF bed.

r0wdy
07-14-2016, 12:25
When I first started backpacking I would always take my dogs. I still do, but often leave one at home if someone is here. I started out with an SMD Lunar Solo and had no issues with claws and floors...anything but CF is stretchy and has some give to it so a stretched out paw isn't going to put a hole in it. Now I have moved on to a CF Duplex tent I worry more about paws and claws. I don't have my dog in the tent with me unless the storm is a bad one (one happened once) and then she lays on their CCF foam bed and doesn't move. Generally my dogs sleep on CCF squares in the two awnings with their leashes attached to the hiking/tent poles.

My sleeping pad is slightly tougher than the one you are suggesting and while I don't worry about paws laying down, I wouldn't let a dog walk on it. Maybe sacrificing a few ozs on the sleeping pad for something tougher would put your mind at ease more (I have the 19oz Klymit Static V Lite). Or, as mentioned, have her sleep under the awning on her own CCF bed.

I want to keep him in the tent because of bugs and I'm worried about other animals. I thought about leaving him outside but I am in Ontario where bugs are pretty bad in the bush, so even if I wasn't worried about other animals, I am concerned it would be really bad for him, I would imagine he would get eaten alive if I left him outside. He won't be sleeping on the air mattress, I was just worried about him poking it if he were to stretch out during the night lying next to it. He will have a sleeping pad somewhere else in the tent. I don't know how tough the neoair is, maybe it's tougher thank I thought and I don't need to worry as much?

In regards to a floor mat/ground cloth, the tent manufacturer lets you pick between Tyvek or Polycrow, which one would be more ideal for a dog? He won't be in the tent much at all, only when we need to sleep.

I might be over-concerned about this stuff, but I just want to avoid any puncture holes or issue if I can (since I'm already spending good money on a tent and mattress)

DuneElliot
07-14-2016, 14:15
I don't take a groundsheet, even with my Duplex. I tried Polycryo one time and it was just a hassle. Poly is lighter than Tyvek though, but I think Tyvek is more durable.

As mentioned, I don't think you will have any issues with the claws and paws on the floor on the floor of the Trekker. I know very little about the Neoair but it seems that generally most punctures come about from thorns or spikes...sharp and small stuff that were underneath the pad and thus had pressure exerted on them. I think you will be fine...or if really concerned, just look for a slightly tougher pad.

r0wdy
07-14-2016, 14:20
I don't take a groundsheet, even with my Duplex. I tried Polycryo one time and it was just a hassle. Poly is lighter than Tyvek though, but I think Tyvek is more durable.

As mentioned, I don't think you will have any issues with the claws and paws on the floor on the floor of the Trekker. I know very little about the Neoair but it seems that generally most punctures come about from thorns or spikes...sharp and small stuff that were underneath the pad and thus had pressure exerted on them. I think you will be fine...or if really concerned, just look for a slightly tougher pad.

sounds good, thank you for your help :)

DuneElliot
07-14-2016, 15:59
You're welcome and have fun with your hiking buddy...I know having one or both along makes it so much more enjoyable. The one I took this last weekend alerted me to a bull moose the trail went right by...too close for safety. Thanks to my dog I was able to go well around him and then get some pictures from a safe distance

Slo-go'en
07-14-2016, 18:04
There's not much extra room in the Trekker, good luck fitting yourself and a 60 pound dog in there. You'd better pray you don't have to spend a night with a wet, 60 pound dog laying on top of you.

DuneElliot
07-14-2016, 19:01
Slo has a point. The reason I could fit two border collies in my Lunar Solo was because of the shape and floor lay-out...and it was still tight. I went to the SMD site and not sure you'll do so good with the Trekker.

DuneElliot
07-14-2016, 19:02
I have my Solo for sale...used one night...if interested.

Slo-go'en
07-14-2016, 22:12
The Solo would be a better choice. (I own both) It does have a little more space to the side then the Trekker and it has a much larger vestibule area which you could let your dog sleep in. He would be outside the tent, but close by. But you really need to think about a 2 person tent, especially if you plan on doing distance hikes. If your just out for a weekend or a few days, a little crowding and discomfort can be tolerated. But for a hike of any duration you need a reasonable level of comfort and space, which your not going to get with a minimalist single person tent.

r0wdy
07-15-2016, 09:50
Slo has a point. The reason I could fit two border collies in my Lunar Solo was because of the shape and floor lay-out...and it was still tight. I went to the SMD site and not sure you'll do so good with the Trekker.

The Solo would be a better choice. (I own both) It does have a little more space to the side then the Trekker and it has a much larger vestibule area which you could let your dog sleep in. He would be outside the tent, but close by. But you really need to think about a 2 person tent, especially if you plan on doing distance hikes. If your just out for a weekend or a few days, a little crowding and discomfort can be tolerated. But for a hike of any duration you need a reasonable level of comfort and space, which your not going to get with a minimalist single person tent.

I was worried about that myself, it looks like it could be tight. He curls up in a ball when he sleeps, so his footprint is pretty small.

I wouldn't mind leaving him outside, but I am in Ontario Canada where the bugs are horrible all summer in the bush. He would get eaten alive, no matter where we are.

A friend recommended the Trekker, it looked good. The Lunar Solo looks nice too, is there a huge difference between the two?

saltysack
07-15-2016, 09:52
LHG Solong 6 is a great fit for 1+ dog..even 1 adult, 1 child and a small dog...@ 2 lbs great set up w large vestibules....

DuneElliot
07-15-2016, 10:28
The Trekker uses two side poles and an overhead pole like an 'n' shape. The Solo uses a single pole or a trekking pole (which I find works better...stronger, doesn't bend) slightly off-center. They both weigh the same and are made out of silnylon. The Trekker has two doors to the Solo's one, but the solo has the larger floor plan and awning.

The Solong is also a great idea.

r0wdy
07-15-2016, 10:49
The Trekker uses two side poles and an overhead pole like an 'n' shape. The Solo uses a single pole or a trekking pole (which I find works better...stronger, doesn't bend) slightly off-center. They both weigh the same and are made out of silnylon. The Trekker has two doors to the Solo's one, but the solo has the larger floor plan and awning.

The Solong is also a great idea.

The Lunar Solo looks great but I hear about condensation issues. Would that be an issue with me, a dog, and potentially humid hot weather? I will look into the Solong more

DuneElliot
07-15-2016, 10:56
The Lunar Solo looks great but I hear about condensation issues. Would that be an issue with me, a dog, and potentially humid hot weather? I will look into the Solong more

You'll have the same issues with the Lunar Solo, Trekker or SoLong...all have condensation issues because that's one of the things with single-wall tent...save weight but compromise in other areas. If you want a tent that will easily fit you, your dog, your gear, no condensation and a little tougher on construction while only adding a little bit more weight, look at the BA Copper Spur 2. It is used by lots of backpackers and comes highly recommended

r0wdy
07-15-2016, 11:04
You'll have the same issues with the Lunar Solo, Trekker or SoLong...all have condensation issues because that's one of the things with single-wall tent...save weight but compromise in other areas. If you want a tent that will easily fit you, your dog, your gear, no condensation and a little tougher on construction while only adding a little bit more weight, look at the BA Copper Spur 2. It is used by lots of backpackers and comes highly recommended

The Trekker is double wall? It's listed as "Double Hyrbid Wall"

saltysack
07-15-2016, 11:14
Solong6 is also hybrid...sides dw and top sw.

Slo-go'en
07-15-2016, 11:21
The Trekker is double wall? It's listed as "Double Hyrbid Wall"

The Trekker has a single wall top. The sides are mostly netting and the vestibule wings act as the "double wall". One nice thing about the Trekker is you can roll up the wings and have lots of ventilation on hot nights if you think it's not going to rain or don't need privacy.

But as I mentioned earlier, there isn't much room in the Trekker. It is very narrow and barely enough room to lay a clothes bag down next to you. There is no way you could fit a dog in there with you.

If your going to bring a dog with you, you just have to accept the fact it will come with a 5 or more pound weight penalty due to the need for a bigger tent and other accessories.

DuneElliot
07-15-2016, 11:29
The Trekker is just like my Duplex in being a hybrid double wall (same mesh walls/doors with doors over the top and single wall top). I have condensation issues if I'm not careful about where I camp, even with the amount of airflow that can come under the doors. My dogs generally sleep under the awnings (not too many issues with flies so far) and I still get condensation, sometimes even with the door left open.

The weight penalty is going to be slight, but not 5lbs. The CS is 3lbs 2 oz packed weight but you are going to spend more on it than you would the other tents.

r0wdy
07-15-2016, 11:42
If condensation is likely to be the same, I'll consider the Solo more. I don't mind the added weight, I just had the Trekker recommended by a friend. I like the size and price point, but I am open to other options (preferably not much more expensive though).

If he could sleep outside under the vestibule/awnings I would probably prefer it, but like I said before the bugs are brutal in Ontario during the summer. I would feel terrible leaving him out there. Even when we are just hiking regularly, mosquito's and black flies are over his face and legs, especially if we aren't moving. The other tents look great too, more expensive but I am considering those as well. Although some seem "too big" in terms of the area in the tent.

The Trekker has a single wall top. The sides are mostly netting and the vestibule wings act as the "double wall". One nice thing about the Trekker is you can roll up the wings and have lots of ventilation on hot nights if you think it's not going to rain or don't need privacy.

Does the Solo or any other tents offer this? It sounds very advantageous to me considering my area (hot and very humid). Lately it can be anywhere from 20% in a day to 80% humidity, so I am trying to purchase a tent based on my area and needs.

DuneElliot
07-15-2016, 11:54
The Lunar Solo can leave the awning open (both doors). There are actually some great Youtube videos with reviews about the Solo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5YzwpLmG4k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQrkex0ys7M

Bronk
07-15-2016, 12:16
Hi, I am about to buy some gear and I was concerned about damage from my dog. I have a 60lb husky-lab mix, and I'm about to buy a lightweight tent and air mattress (and everything else). My main concern are his nails, I am worried they might puncture my mattress, or the sides of my tent. I would trim his nails down and maybe even sand them down before we would go on a trip, but I am still worried they might puncture something. He might stretch his legs out during the night and I'm concerned his paws would push against the tent and possibly damage it.

The tent in mind is a Skyscape Trekker (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/Trekker.html) and the mattress in mind is the NeoAir Xlite. (https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5041-049/NeoAir-Xlite-Sleeping-Pad)

I was thinking maybe some kind of mattress cover, or I put some dog socks on him during the night when he sleeps. I don't want to carry around a lot of extra weight either. I also think he will just try to get the socks off during the night. Should I be concerned at all? Or will they likely not break anything? He wouldn't be sleeping on my air mattress, it would just be me. I am thinking of buying this (http://gossamergear.com/nightlight-sleeping-pad-torso-length.html) as a bed for him (doubles as the frame of my pack)

I am interested in hearing what dog owners experiences have been like in regards to this.

Thanks!My dog has ruined 2 air mattresses and 4 tents. I use a foam sleeping pad and buy $30 or $40 tents at Walmart and plan to replace them every couple of years. Once he figured out that he could open the tent by scratching and nosing at the zipper it was all over.

theoilman
07-15-2016, 15:09
Leave the dog at home. Problem solved, totally!

saltysack
07-15-2016, 15:29
If condensation is likely to be the same, I'll consider the Solo more. I don't mind the added weight, I just had the Trekker recommended by a friend. I like the size and price point, but I am open to other options (preferably not much more expensive though).

If he could sleep outside under the vestibule/awnings I would probably prefer it, but like I said before the bugs are brutal in Ontario during the summer. I would feel terrible leaving him out there. Even when we are just hiking regularly, mosquito's and black flies are over his face and legs, especially if we aren't moving. The other tents look great too, more expensive but I am considering those as well. Although some seem "too big" in terms of the area in the tent.

Does the Solo or any other tents offer this? It sounds very advantageous to me considering my area (hot and very humid). Lately it can be anywhere from 20% in a day to 80% humidity, so I am trying to purchase a tent based on my area and needs.

Seriously check out solong 6...@ 2lbs, affordable and a great solo or +1...next time post dog related questions on the hiking with dogs forum....disregard the dog nazis...

r0wdy
07-15-2016, 15:58
Seriously check out solong 6...@ 2lbs, affordable and a great solo or +1...next time post dog related questions on the hiking with dogs forum....disregard the dog nazis...

I didn't even know that section existed, thanks! And I just ignore the dog nazis, I know not everyone is a fan of them :)

Traveler
07-16-2016, 08:48
Which ones are the dog nazis? Those who defiantly say not to bring them, or those who insist upon doing so?

MtDoraDave
07-16-2016, 09:22
Just bring a repair kit for the tent and the air mattress. You may get a hole in one or the other - that's just the cost of doing business, so to speak.

Perhaps put the air mattress inside the sleeping bag to protect it from claws?

Sarcasm the elf
07-16-2016, 10:05
Which ones are the dog nazis? Those who defiantly say not to bring them, or those who insist upon doing so?

They are:

1) The anti dog people who mistakenly believe that their self imposed rules and standards somehow apply to everyone else. (Not to be confused with reasonable people who believe that dog owners should be responsible and have their dog under control.)

2) This beast from the early 1990's

http://www.permadi.com/tutorial/raycast/images/wolf.jpg

saltysack
07-16-2016, 11:48
They are:

1) The anti dog people who mistakenly believe that their self imposed rules and standards somehow apply to everyone else. (Not to be confused with reasonable people who believe that dog owners should be responsible and have their dog under control.)

2) This beast from the early 1990's

http://www.permadi.com/tutorial/raycast/images/wolf.jpg

Precisely.....when a person asks for advice about hiking WITH THE DOG...not wether to leave at home....My mutt and I fly out next Friday to hike the collegiate loop...can't wait!

r0wdy
07-16-2016, 19:11
Just bring a repair kit for the tent and the air mattress. You may get a hole in one or the other - that's just the cost of doing business, so to speak.

Perhaps put the air mattress inside the sleeping bag to protect it from claws?

I was thinking of getting this (https://www.amazon.com/Gear-Aid-Tenacious-Fabric-Repair/dp/B001949Z4I?ie=UTF8&keywords=tenacious%20tape&linkCode=sl1&linkId=4e7dc70d8956546f4931d347a20872bf&qid=1454477474&ref_=as_li_ss_tl&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-4&tag=cleve05e-20), should I be okay with those?

For tents, I was also looking at the TarpTent Protrail, but I realized I might be a bit tall for a lot of tents (including some SMD ones). I'm 6ft, so if anyone has any other recommendations for tents that would fit me and my dog (60lb lab/husky mix) that would be appreciated!

DuneElliot
07-16-2016, 19:14
I was thinking of getting this (https://www.amazon.com/Gear-Aid-Tenacious-Fabric-Repair/dp/B001949Z4I?ie=UTF8&keywords=tenacious%20tape&linkCode=sl1&linkId=4e7dc70d8956546f4931d347a20872bf&qid=1454477474&ref_=as_li_ss_tl&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-4&tag=cleve05e-20), should I be okay with those?

For tents, I was also looking at the TarpTent Protrail, but I realized I might be a bit tall for a lot of tents (including some SMD ones). I'm 6ft, so if anyone has any other recommendations for tents that would fit me and my dog (60lb lab/husky mix) that would be appreciated!

At 6ft, plus a dog, I'd go with saltysack's suggestion of the Lightheart Gear SoLong. It seems like it would be the ideal tent for you and your set-up/situation

DuneElliot
07-16-2016, 19:16
I also don't think Tenacious Tape works with silnylon...it needs its own repair sealant which you can get from most silnylon tent manufacturers, and other places. Tenacious Tape is designed for the poly tents (and I found it didn't work great on that either)

r0wdy
07-16-2016, 21:13
I also don't think Tenacious Tape works with silnylon...it needs its own repair sealant which you can get from most silnylon tent manufacturers, and other places. Tenacious Tape is designed for the poly tents (and I found it didn't work great on that either)

any recommendations on what I should use? Therm-A-Rest has a kit but it says it needs 24hr bonding so it's not recommended for trail repairs

Traveler
07-17-2016, 04:23
They are:

Gotcha. Just wanted to be sure I got the labels right. This hiking culture stuff is full of conundrums.

DuneElliot
07-17-2016, 10:16
any recommendations on what I should use? Therm-A-Rest has a kit but it says it needs 24hr bonding so it's not recommended for trail repairs

No ideas, sorry. Silnylon tent manufacturers have their own stuff you can buy for tents. I think the provided kit is the best thing to use for sleeping pads, you may have to fudge the bonding time...15 hours instead of 24 is still probably plenty if you can do it first thing in the morning.

rocketsocks
07-17-2016, 11:17
any recommendations on what I should use? Therm-A-Rest has a kit but it says it needs 24hr bonding so it's not recommended for trail repairsi donate 100 dollars to the "I love doggy fund if your pup can pop a foam mattress. ;)

And fur the record I don't ****in' appreciate being likened to a nazi...ya feel me. :mad:

r0wdy
07-17-2016, 16:30
No ideas, sorry. Silnylon tent manufacturers have their own stuff you can buy for tents. I think the provided kit is the best thing to use for sleeping pads, you may have to fudge the bonding time...15 hours instead of 24 is still probably plenty if you can do it first thing in the morning.

it appears the mattress comes with a repair kit so I should be okay

squeezebox
07-17-2016, 16:50

I thought there was a no name calling rule here??

Traveler
07-18-2016, 07:53
I thought there was a no name calling rule here??

I don't believe clarifying a label used by a poster is name calling.