PDA

View Full Version : Carrying dirty water

pizzawizard
07-14-2016, 09:25
Recently I traded in my Katadyn Hiker Pro for a saywer squeeze. I've used katadyn pump filters ever since I was a kid, so I thought I'd give something else a try.

I also got the connections to hook it up inline on a water bladder. I was thinking it would be pretty simple to just fill up a water bladder and have it filter as I drink. The concept of carrying dirty water is kind of weird to me though. Seems like the water bladder could start to get funky after a while.

Anyone have experience doing this? Maybe it's best to just filter it all at once.

Gambit McCrae
07-14-2016, 09:42
I would say if going on long trips, that when in town, or a hostel to just do a good dial soap cleaning or a spot of bleach. I am not an inline/ camel hose hiker, I use Gatorade bottle and smart bottles. I carry 1 Gatorade bottle(clean water), and 2 smart bottles for dirty water. I think about to change over to 2 Gatorade clean bottles and a 1 liter dirty smart water bottle. I have about given up on the bags as I have had several fail in the field, and they are about 5$ a piece to replace. Downfall to smart water bottles is there is no venting so to filter a liter of water out of a smart bottle, you have to screw off the sawyer, flex the bottle back out and filter some more, usually takes me 3 cycles, cycle time for 1 liter is about 60 seconds.

Puddlefish
07-14-2016, 09:49
I saw several people filtering directly from a number of small dirty water bags, seemed to work fine for them. The dirty water bag is going to get funky anyway and require occasional rinsing, no matter if emptied or left full. You're still filtering the funk out.

saltysack
07-14-2016, 10:21
I would say if going on long trips, that when in town, or a hostel to just do a good dial soap cleaning or a spot of bleach. I am not an inline/ camel hose hiker, I use Gatorade bottle and smart bottles. I carry 1 Gatorade bottle(clean water), and 2 smart bottles for dirty water. I think about to change over to 2 Gatorade clean bottles and a 1 liter dirty smart water bottle. I have about given up on the bags as I have had several fail in the field, and they are about 5$ a piece to replace. Downfall to smart water bottles is there is no venting so to filter a liter of water out of a smart bottle, you have to screw off the sawyer, flex the bottle back out and filter some more, usually takes me 3 cycles, cycle time for 1 liter is about 60 seconds.

Damn sawyer bags don't last....yea I roll not squeeze....just bought an evernew bag to try but I always keep a 1l smart water bottle or std thread bottle handy for when it bag breaks....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tagg
07-14-2016, 10:52
Damn sawyer bags don't last....yea I roll not squeeze....just bought an evernew bag to try but I always keep a 1l smart water bottle or std thread bottle handy for when it bag breaks....

No more worries, that evernew bag isn't going to break.

Puddlefish
07-14-2016, 10:58
Sadly, Evernew fittings are not quite compatible with Sawyer fittings. The thread kind of matches, so you can tighten it a moderate amount initially. Then you start squeezing and need to tighten further, and dirty water leaks all over your clean water container.

Edit: I confused Evernew with Platypus, ignore the above please!

saltysack
07-14-2016, 11:16
Sadly, Evernew fittings are not quite compatible with Sawyer fittings. The thread kind of matches, so you can tighten it a moderate amount initially. Then you start squeezing and need to tighten further, and dirty water leaks all over your clean water container.

Damn I thought evernew were same thread..I realize platy bags don't work...just got the bag from Japan...I'll test it tonight as leave for Co next Friday...

saltysack
07-14-2016, 11:16
No more worries, that evernew bag isn't going to break.

Thx...hope threads match

rickb
07-14-2016, 11:23

Are you sure you are not confusing the Evenew fittings with some Platypus fittings?

Puddlefish
07-14-2016, 11:25
Are you sure you are not confusing the Evenew fittings with some Platypus fittings?

Sorry, that's exactly what I did!

Odd Man Out
07-14-2016, 11:50
I have two 900 mL Evernew bags. One for dirty and one for clean. I punched two holes in the perimeter of the dirty bag and put a loop of string through it so I can hang it from a tree and do gravity filtering (also lets me know which is the clean bag and which is the dirty bag). I fill two 24 oz Gatorade bottles to drink from when hiking. I only fill the clean bag when I need an extra reservoir for dry camping or dry trails. It also is a backup in case the dirty bag fails (but this has not been a problem with Evernew bags. I will sometimes carry dirty water in the dirty bag on long dry stretches for a total of 3.2 L (108 oz). Have not noticed that the dirty bag is funkier than the clean bag. They both get cleaned will after each hike.

soilman
07-14-2016, 12:03
I have been using a Platypus 2L bladder with an inline Sawyer for the past 3 years, including a 3 week LT thru and have had no problems. I like the the fact that gravity does the work and don't have to squeeze bags. In fact, I have never used my sawyer bags. My Platypus bladder is over 6 years old and I have only put water in it. I clean it with a little bleach after every trip. I use a smart water bottle for dirty water and a gatorade for clean water. I don't think the "dirty water" you will be putting in your bladder is not much different than clean water.

Connie
07-14-2016, 12:09
I have never carried "dirty water".

I set up the gravity water filter first thing at a campsite or I filter what I need right away and gravity filter water overnight.

egilbe
07-14-2016, 19:29

what are you guys doing to your filter bags? I've used the same 64oz bag going on my third year now.

Sarcasm the elf
07-14-2016, 20:59
I just got a Evernew bag and can confirm the threads fit well, as Puddlefish says in his edit it is the newer platypus bags that have a wired thread that isn't quite compatible with anything except platypus.

To the original question, I still prefer to filter the water first and then carry it clean in my camelbak, they're already a P.I.T.A. to clean as it is, so I'd rather now introduce dirty water into the equation. Then again that's just me.

saltysack
07-14-2016, 21:08
what are you guys doing to your filter bags? I've used the same 64oz bag going on my third year now.

Too be fair I've only had two pop..the third one a damn mouse chewed a hole in it while outside my tent..It must have had food scent on it..the others were not new but probably had less than a dozen days on them and always seem to crap out at the worst places...that's why I always carry a std thread 1l water as id rather carry Gatorade bottles as the wide mouth and base makes adding Gatorade and filtering easier. Hope for better luck with the evernew.

JumpMaster Blaster
07-14-2016, 23:34
I use a Platy Big Zip bladder but don't use an in line filter per se. I have a "fast fill" adapter where I can filter directly from a Smartwater bottle or Sawyer squeeze bag into the bladder. Something about hauling dirty water (esp in a bladder I'm drinking from) doesn't sit well with me.

If I'm on a long dry stretch I'll take a 1L bottle or bag filled at the source, but I drop some Aquamira in it so I have clean water later on without having to stop. I've used the older Platy bags with both the squeeze and the mini, and had some leak issues, but again with the adapter I don't have any problems since there's no dirty water entering the hose.

Sarcasm the elf
07-14-2016, 23:41

The dirty water bag included with the sawyer squeeze and mini filters are fairly fragile compared to other bags. This was especially a problem when the filters first hit he market, but they have apparently made some improvements. I am just now switching to evernew bags and think that should solve the problem.

burger
07-14-2016, 23:56
There's a really interesting-sounding new filter system here: https://www.rei.com/product/100537/katadyn-befree-water-bottle-and-filter-set

The bottles also come in 1, 2, and 3 L sizes. If it works, it would mean you never have to filter water ever--just drink from the dirty bottle and, if you have to carry more than 1 bottle aat a time, just swap out the filter for a regular lid when you empty your bottle.

I'm still waiting for a few more reviews, but this seems really promising.

Longer discussion here: https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/new-katadyn-befree-filter-bottle/page/3/#comments

-Rush-
07-15-2016, 04:20
I saw a few people out there with Sawyer filters attached inline to the reservoir in their pack. I never cared to put dirty water in my reservoir or drink it through the filter on every sip. I used a quick-connect that allowed me to fill it up clean water without taking it out of the pack. I never had an issue with a Sawyer Mini or Squeeze connecting directly to a Platypus 2L collapsible. I've never used the included Sawyer bags.

Connie
07-15-2016, 06:33
+1

I would rather have a clear container, so I can see to clean it or replace it.

lilgodwin
07-17-2016, 10:50
The whole water filtering idea and all the options is borderline overwhelming, but I'm trying to get a good grasp on it. Since there are so many threads on this topic, I figured I would just hijack one, and this one seems about as good as any.

I like the idea of a large mouth bag to dip into a water source and let gravity filter into another bag. Along with a couple bottles for clean water storage. Obviously I need a way to filter. And I also like what seems like the major convenience of the LifeStraw.

So, here's what I'm thinking:

- LifeStraw
- 2L BigZip for dirty water reservoir
- 2L Evernew for clean water reservoir, I heard they're more durable for back flushing
- Sawyer mini for gravity filtering
- Sawyer squeeze, another drinking option + filtering into bottles

I'm looking for opinions and suggestions here, so feel free to weigh in.

Is this reasonable or overkill? Am I missing something?

A big concern concern of mine is compatibility. After doing some reading, I've heard a few things don't quite match up with each other regarding sizes and/or threads. Between the hoses, knobs/spouts, and bottles, I don't want to get it wrong.

egilbe
07-17-2016, 15:08
Too be fair I've only had two pop..the third one a damn mouse chewed a hole in it while outside my tent..It must have had food scent on it..the others were not new but probably had less than a dozen days on them and always seem to crap out at the worst places...that's why I always carry a std thread 1l water as id rather carry Gatorade bottles as the wide mouth and base makes adding Gatorade and filtering easier. Hope for better luck with the evernew.

The dirty water bag included with the sawyer squeeze and mini filters are fairly fragile compared to other bags. This was especially a problem when the filters first hit he market, but they have apparently made some improvements. I am just now switching to evernew bags and think that should solve the problem.

I use a Platy Big Zip bladder but don't use an in line filter per se. I have a "fast fill" adapter where I can filter directly from a Smartwater bottle or Sawyer squeeze bag into the bladder. Something about hauling dirty water (esp in a bladder I'm drinking from) doesn't sit well with me.

If I'm on a long dry stretch I'll take a 1L bottle or bag filled at the source, but I drop some Aquamira in it so I have clean water later on without having to stop. I've used the older Platy bags with both the squeeze and the mini, and had some leak issues, but again with the adapter I don't have any problems since there's no dirty water entering the hose.

...And my bag sprung a leak this weekend where the bag fits nozzle. Serves me right for questioning the bags.

jimmyjam
07-17-2016, 15:21
The Evernew bags last me about two years before they spring a leak. Usually where the bag is sealed onto the "bottle neck". I have done a field repair by heating up a tent stake and melting the two pieces back together. It held up for about a week until I could buy a replacement in town.

lilgodwin
07-18-2016, 10:59

- LifeStraw
- 2L Evernew for clean water reservoir, I heard they're more durable for back flushing

Any thoughts?

jimmyjam
07-18-2016, 12:45
Any thoughts?

Those will work. Like everything else, there's no silver bullet.

Here's what works for me :

- sawyer filter
- one liter evernew dirty bag for filtering
- (2) one liter smart water bottles for clean water ( the sawyer will also fit these as a back up)
-(2) 20 oz gatorade bottles for clean water, one strapped on each shoulder strap, one with an electrolyte mix, one plain water.

Odd Man Out
07-18-2016, 12:52
The whole water filtering idea and all the options is borderline overwhelming, but I'm trying to get a good grasp on it. Since there are so many threads on this topic, I figured I would just hijack one, and this one seems about as good as any.

I like the idea of a large mouth bag to dip into a water source and let gravity filter into another bag. Along with a couple bottles for clean water storage. Obviously I need a way to filter. And I also like what seems like the major convenience of the LifeStraw.

- LifeStraw

A big concern concern of mine is compatibility. After doing some reading, I've heard a few things don't quite match up with each other regarding sizes and/or threads. Between the hoses, knobs/spouts, and bottles, I don't want to get it wrong.

If I read this to mean that you are taking three filters then yes this is over kill. You need one (boiling is a backup for emergencies). Not sure why you find this overwhelming. Perhaps the problem in that when you ask for advice here, 10 people will give 10 answers. It's not that there is one best answer but rather there are many perfectly acceptable options. Pick one you like and go with it. The Sawyer filters (mini or squeeze) seem to be the most popular these days. The reason is they are very versatile. You can drink right through it (like a live straw). You can use it in-line with hydrating bladder, you can use it as a gravity filter, or you can force water through it (like a pump). Use it however you want, but you only need one filter.

The Evernew bladder will fit on Sawyer filter perfectly.

Farr Away
07-18-2016, 13:07

- LifeStraw

It seems like overkill to me - I usually just carry a Katadyn Pro filter and plan to boil water if it were to fail.
I don't have direct experience, but a couple friends had a LifeStraw fail on its first trip. We ended up filtering for them both times.

-FA

jeffmeh
07-18-2016, 14:01
Those will work. Like everything else, there's no silver bullet.

Here's what works for me :

- sawyer filter
- one liter evernew dirty bag for filtering
- (2) one liter smart water bottles for clean water ( the sawyer will also fit these as a back up)
-(2) 20 oz gatorade bottles for clean water, one strapped on each shoulder strap, one with an electrolyte mix, one plain water.

Yes, something along these lines. Only one filter needed, and Sawyer Squeeze would be my favorite. A variation that gives you plenty of extra capacity if you are going to camp away from a convenient source. 2 Evernew 2l bags, one for a dirty bag and one for a clean bag (mark them clearly). A modified tornado tube so you can go directly from bag to bag, and easily backflush without carrying the syringe (google it). 2 1l water bottles (smart water or some other brand). Also, the smart water sports cap can replace the drinking valve that comes with the Squeeze, and has a hinged cover that is harder to lose. 6.5 oz. or so total. Could carry as much as 6l if necessary, filtering 4l and carrying 2l dirty.

SWODaddy
07-18-2016, 20:17

- LifeStraw

Forget the BigZip. Get a 2L Platpus "Dirty Water" bag. It's about half the price and works better.

https://www.amazon.com/Platypus-CleanStream-Replacement-Reservoir-Kit/dp/B00CLVHFUY

This is what I use. You can roll the top to pressure-filter if you're in a hurry, or hang it on a branch. The design is nice because it has sediment catch

SWODaddy
07-18-2016, 20:18
I'd also forget the lifestraw and keep one of the sawyer mini or squeeze - whichever you like better.

lilgodwin
07-19-2016, 01:06
Forget the BigZip. Get a 2L Platpus "Dirty Water" bag. It's about half the price and works better.

https://www.amazon.com/Platypus-CleanStream-Replacement-Reservoir-Kit/dp/B00CLVHFUY

This is what I use. You can roll the top to pressure-filter if you're in a hurry, or hang it on a branch. The design is nice because it has sediment catch
I might just do this. But, the big zip is the only item on my list that I see has a hose. Did I select the wrong mini, squeeze, Evernew, or platypus? Any of those products supposed to come with a hose or do I have to buy it separately if I don't get the big zip?

lilgodwin
07-19-2016, 01:10
I'd also forget the lifestraw and keep one of the sawyer mini or squeeze - whichever you like better.
I'm starting to think I'll do without the mini, if the squeeze will do just fine for the same functions, and then some. But I really would like to try out the LifeStraw. I have heard some negative comments, but mostly good things. Just like any other product out there. I really see myself using it quite often, on the go and while I have my bags gravity filtering.

egilbe
07-19-2016, 07:09
I might just do this. But, the big zip is the only item on my list that I see has a hose. Did I select the wrong mini, squeeze, Evernew, or platypus? Any of those products supposed to come with a hose or do I have to buy it separately if I don't get the big zip?

No hoses included with squeeze or mini. With a gravity feed sysyem, the longer the hose, the higher the pressure, the faster it will filter water. I have a couple three liter big zips. I probably could play with a gravity system, but what I currently do is simple and works for me. I like simple when I'm tired.

lilgodwin
07-19-2016, 10:27
No hoses included with squeeze or mini. With a gravity feed sysyem, the longer the hose, the higher the pressure, the faster it will filter water. I have a couple three liter big zips. I probably could play with a gravity system, but what I currently do is simple and works for me. I like simple when I'm tired.
So what thickness hose do I need to get to go between the squeeze and platypus dirty water bag? I assume it's sold as a bundle of something. I would know what types of fittings I would need for some basic operations, if any.

SWODaddy
07-19-2016, 12:20
So what thickness hose do I need to get to go between the squeeze and platypus dirty water bag? I assume it's sold as a bundle of something. I would know what types of fittings I would need for some basic operations, if any.

Any hydration tubing will work. Any male hydration quick-connect fitting will fit into the platypus dirty bag. Alternatively, you could buy the Platypus tubing made specifically for the dirty bag:

https://smile.amazon.com/Platypus-GravityWorks-Filter-Hose-4-0L/dp/B00453ULP2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1468945016&sr=8-4&keywords=dirty+water+bag

Odd Man Out
07-19-2016, 12:58
My Sawyer Mini came with a short tube designed to be used as a drinking straw. I cut a piece off a one inch piece to connect the outlet tube from the filter to an inline adapter (see product link below). This way I can do bag to bag filtering (gravity or squeeze mode) and also use the clean bag to backflush. The mini and squeeze have the same versatility, just slightly different connections. The Squeeze is an oz heavier but has a faster flow rate. Longer tubes give faster flow rates when gravity filtering, but I use the Mini with just the 1 inch connector tube and it works. It filters the whole 900 mL bag wile I'm doing other camp chores. I use two 900 mL Evernew bags so I know there will be no thread compatibility issues.

https://sawyer.com/products/sawyer-inline-hydration-pack-adapters/

jeffmeh
07-19-2016, 18:13

Some of the Platypus bags have threads that are not compatible with the Sawyer Squeeze. Does this particular one mate perfectly? Thanks.

SWODaddy
07-19-2016, 19:55
Some of the Platypus bags have threads that are not compatible with the Sawyer Squeeze. Does this particular one mate perfectly? Thanks.

It doesn't have a threaded portion. You fill it using the zip top. At the bottom it has a regular hydration bladder fitting which will not leak when the hose is disconnected.

You then attach the filter (in my case a Sawyer mini) via a couple feet of hydration bladder tubing. This is better than something which attaches directly to the bag because it gives you a pressure head to aid in gravity filtering.

AfterParty
07-19-2016, 20:17
If buying new just get the plty set. Save some trouble I think.

SWODaddy
07-19-2016, 20:39
If buying new just get the plty set. Save some trouble I think.

You certainly could. MSRP is $100-110 though, and the Sawyer filter is more versatile.

egilbe
07-19-2016, 21:33
http://sectionhiker.com/myog-a-gravity-fed-water-filtration-system-using-the-sawyer-mini-water-filter-by-nathan-taylor/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VUehUWAfjPk

jeffmeh
07-20-2016, 08:53
It doesn't have a threaded portion. You fill it using the zip top. At the bottom it has a regular hydration bladder fitting which will not leak when the hose is disconnected.

You then attach the filter (in my case a Sawyer mini) via a couple feet of hydration bladder tubing. This is better than something which attaches directly to the bag because it gives you a pressure head to aid in gravity filtering.

Got it. Thanks. As you mentioned, one can connect directly and lose some head pressure. A tornado tube works well with the Squeeze, and you certainly can manually squeeze to assist. The Squeeze Mini's flow is restricted enough that I can see why one would want additional head pressure and use some tubing.

SWODaddy
07-20-2016, 11:18
Got it. Thanks. As you mentioned, one can connect directly and lose some head pressure. A tornado tube works well with the Squeeze, and you certainly can manually squeeze to assist. The Squeeze Mini's flow is restricted enough that I can see why one would want additional head pressure and use some tubing.

I have a squeeze too that I bought on sale. I'm happy with the mini though and can't find a reason to switch over at this time.

Also - aside from getting a pressure head, the zip-top is also easier to fill in a slow creek/stream.

Lnj
07-20-2016, 12:38
There's a really interesting-sounding new filter system here: https://www.rei.com/product/100537/katadyn-befree-water-bottle-and-filter-set

The bottles also come in 1, 2, and 3 L sizes. If it works, it would mean you never have to filter water ever--just drink from the dirty bottle and, if you have to carry more than 1 bottle aat a time, just swap out the filter for a regular lid when you empty your bottle.

I'm still waiting for a few more reviews, but this seems really promising.

Longer discussion here: https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/new-katadyn-befree-filter-bottle/page/3/#comments

This is the same concept as the Lifestraw, which I have used and loved, but better because of the soft flask and lighter weight. I will be looking into this further too. Thanks for the heads up.

Lnj
07-20-2016, 12:47

- LifeStraw

I can only speak to the Lifestraw option. I have used it on short weekend section hikes and I LOVE it, simply due to the ease of it. I carried it and a couple of 1L Smartwater bottles for carrying dirty water. I'd camel up at the water source and just dink from the Lifestraw. When I emptied it, I'd pour a smart water into the Lifestraw bottle and keep truckin. Its beyond easy. Another Pro for the Lifestraw is it has a carbiner attached so you can clip it any part of your pack if you can tolerate the swinging. Cons: Its heavy and hard, so not as easy to store.

lilgodwin
07-20-2016, 13:32
Are you referencing a LifeStraw or the LifeStraw bottle?

Lnj
07-20-2016, 17:27
Are you referencing a LifeStraw or the LifeStraw bottle?

I actually have both, but have only used the Lifestraw bottle. The other just seems like more trouble than its worth to carry, though its really light weight. The bottle is just fill and drink, but its heavier than I would like.

SWODaddy
07-23-2016, 11:15

Here's a pic from my last trip. You can see how it works if that helps.