PDA

View Full Version : Sean grip work on cuben?

saltysack
07-14-2016, 10:17
I have a small hole in my zpacks food bag...already have a tube of seam seal will it work on cuben? Rather not spend $5 to fix as its about ready to be replaced....yea I'm cheap.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tipi Walter
07-14-2016, 10:28
There are only 3 guys named Sean I know about---Sean Hannity, Sean Bean and Sean Penn---are they now doing grip work on cuben?? (Opps, who can forget Sean Connery??)

saltysack
07-14-2016, 10:31
There are only 3 guys named Sean I know about---Sean Hannity, Sean Bean and Sean Penn---are they now doing grip work on cuben??

Ha.....oops SEAM.....

Connie
07-14-2016, 12:19
Tenacious tape?

saltysack
07-14-2016, 12:24
Tenacious tape?

Thanks already have a tube of seam grip...ill give it a shot...

Five Tango
07-14-2016, 13:43
There are only 3 guys named Sean I know about---Sean Hannity, Sean Bean and Sean Penn---are they now doing grip work on cuben?? (Opps, who can forget Sean Connery??)

How could you forget the other famous Sean-Sean Emery-aka WHOO BUDDY!(all secure in sector 7 btw)

Tipi Walter
07-14-2016, 13:54
How could you forget the other famous Sean-Sean Emery-aka WHOO BUDDY!(all secure in sector 7 btw)

You're right!! The famous Shug.

https://www.youtube.com/user/shugemery/playlists

MuddyWaters
07-14-2016, 16:44
Dont think it will work well. When first started buying cuben shelters and sealed with silicone, you could rub it off. Not readily, but it came off. just stick tape on it, you can peel and replace later. Duct tape fixed 6" slit in canopy of my hex for week + on a trip. Replaced with cuben eventually.

If holes not big enough for mouse to get in, or food to fall out, i wouldnt worry about it.

jimmyjam
07-14-2016, 17:37
Mylar tape from Questoutfitters $1.49 for a yard. Or buy some cuben tape from zpacks. Duct tape will stick to it as well as the heavy clear packing tape.

saltysack
07-14-2016, 21:11
Dont think it will work well. When first started buying cuben shelters and sealed with silicone, you could rub it off. Not readily, but it came off. just stick tape on it, you can peel and replace later. Duct tape fixed 6" slit in canopy of my hex for week + on a trip. Replaced with cuben eventually.

If holes not big enough for mouse to get in, or food to fall out, i wouldnt worry about it.

Mainly to just to keep contents dry....

bigcranky
07-14-2016, 21:21
Duct tape. That's what I used on my Zpacks food bag, works fine.

MuddyWaters
07-14-2016, 21:59
Mainly to just to keep contents dry....

You have food thats unpackaged, or not in ziplocks?

I put holes in bottom of mine to let rain water out. Food already has several layers keeping it dry.

Franco
07-14-2016, 22:19
Seam grip is not silicone.
Some of the cottage manufacturers were sending out shelters with Seam Grip in the early days.

saltysack
07-15-2016, 09:46
You have food thats unpackaged, or not in ziplocks?

I put holes in bottom of mine to let rain water out. Food already has several layers keeping it dry.

Just things like packets of hot chocolate, turbinado, instant breakfast etc that would be ruined...seam sealer seems to be bonding ok..

saltysack
07-15-2016, 09:46
Seam grip is not silicone.
Some of the cottage manufacturers were sending out shelters with Seam Grip in the early days.

?

CalebJ
07-15-2016, 10:09
Just things like packets of hot chocolate, turbinado, instant breakfast etc that would be ruined...seam sealer seems to be bonding ok..

I'm pretty sure all of those packages are actually waterproof.

Studlintsean
07-15-2016, 10:48
You're right!! The famous Shug.

https://www.youtube.com/user/shugemery/playlists

Studlintsean here. Was someone calling?

saltysack
07-15-2016, 10:58
I'm pretty sure all of those packages are actually waterproof.

Nope...I know first hand...

Franco
07-15-2016, 19:20
?

I was replying to this :
"Dont think it will work well. When first started buying cuben shelters and sealed with silicone, you could rub it off."
MuddyWater confused Seam Grip (PU based glue) with Sil Net , silicone glue.

BTW, I have seam sealed Cuben tents with silicone and it works providing that it is runny enough to penetrate the stitching and that you wipe over the seam so that there is nothing (or very little) exposed to peel off.

MuddyWaters
07-15-2016, 19:49
I was replying to this :
"Dont think it will work well. When first started buying cuben shelters and sealed with silicone, you could rub it off."
MuddyWater confused Seam Grip (PU based glue) with Sil Net , silicone glue.

BTW, I have seam sealed Cuben tents with silicone and it works providing that it is runny enough to penetrate the stitching and that you wipe over the seam so that there is nothing (or very little) exposed to peel off.

I didnt confuse anything. I gave an example of something that really didnt stick that well to smooth mylar, when it flexes and helps destroys the bond, which is what cuben basically is.
Even cuben tape can be peeled if you try, especially warm.

Does seam grip stick better? Dont know. Very few things stick well to smooth polymeric materials. Those that do are often specialized or have a solvent or surface activator thats incompatible with the material its applied to, softening it and permeating the surface

saltysack
07-15-2016, 22:10
Ok I see where y'all are going...not a big deal if it lasts as its only a food bag...thx.. I'll see how long it lasts..just received the odor barrier bags so not a big deal if it leaks a little as I now have a second layer.

Franco
07-16-2016, 02:37
I didnt confuse anything. I gave an example of something that really didnt stick that well to smooth mylar, when it flexes and helps destroys the bond, which is what cuben basically is.
Even cuben tape can be peeled if you try, especially warm.

Does seam grip stick better? Dont know. Very few things stick well to smooth polymeric materials. Those that do are often specialized or have a solvent or surface activator thats incompatible with the material its applied to, softening it and permeating the surface
Sorry, I assumed that you were commenting on what the OP has at hand, Seam Grip.