PDA

View Full Version : Grayson Highlands Get-Together...Come Pet the Ponies!

Teacher & Snacktime
07-14-2016, 21:10
I'm organizing another get-together to celebrate returning to the trail after a too-long hiatus. It consists of a group hike up to Thomas Knob Shelter in the Grayson Highlands (and back) with a celebratory picnic (BYO) at the shelter. This hike is open to all, and a great way to meet other WBers!

If interested, please either sign up here or PM me

(Of course there'll be trail magic bags for all!)

Grayson Highlands Hike & Thomas Knob Shelter Picnic

Friday, October 16, 2014 10:00am to ?
Hike: approx. 6mi loop from Massie Gap Parking Lot

Attendees:
Teacher
Gumball
Moose717
Hikermom
Grampsb

trailwobbles
07-15-2016, 08:35
Wobbles will try to be there;-)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

tiptoe
07-15-2016, 09:43
Very tempting, but such a long way to go for a weekend.

Alligator
07-15-2016, 15:24
Are you passing through 2014 on your way up to the shelter:p?

Teacher & Snacktime
07-15-2016, 16:57
Are you passing through 2014 on your way up to the shelter:p?.

The year? Yeah, probably....trying to relive it at any rate! Are you joining us?

TNhiker
07-15-2016, 17:34
please dont pet the ponies....

from the park's website.........

"Visitors should not approach, feed or pet the ponies. They bite and kick when they feel threatened, and human food is bad for them."

Teacher & Snacktime
07-15-2016, 17:41

"Visitors should not approach, feed or pet the ponies. They bite and kick when they feel threatened, and human food is bad for them."

I was using the phrase strictly metaphorically, as in "come enjoy nature's beauty".
I NEVER pet the ponies! (ok, maybe once in a weak moment :rolleyes:)

TNhiker
07-15-2016, 17:46
I was using the phrase strictly metaphorically, as in "come enjoy nature's beauty".

yeah.....i figured that much, but didnt want someone to get all excited and actually do it.

Lone Wolf
07-15-2016, 18:05

sometimes you can't avoid it. when i'm pickin' blueberries and they're in my face i pet them

Teacher & Snacktime
07-15-2016, 18:10
sometimes you can't avoid it. when i'm pickin' blueberries and they're in my face i pet them

Yeah, they tend to be pushy

Many Moons
07-15-2016, 20:29
Hey, wanted to introduce my wife to hiking and hikers! How hard is this hike? Sounds like a fun day hike to me. Hike On!!!!

Teacher & Snacktime
07-15-2016, 20:45
Hey, wanted to introduce my wife to hiking and hikers! How hard is this hike? Sounds like a fun day hike to me. Hike On!!!!

It's not too difficult. I'm a really slow hiker so it took me a couple of hours to get to Thomas Knob when I last tried. The terrain is fairly easy, and the scenery is spectacular. (Made me feel like I was in a John Wayne movie!) Come on along. It will be fun!

Grampsb
07-16-2016, 02:29
I should be able to make it

Teacher & Snacktime
07-16-2016, 11:00
I should be able to make it Excellent! I'll update the list, and look forward to meeting you!

Tipi Walter
07-16-2016, 11:02
Very tempting, but such a long way to go for a weekend.

I don't believe it's even a weekend, but a "mere" dayhike only.

I don't know if a fresh red apple is human food but I carried one into Mt Rogers back on a 1997 backpacking trip (see below) and the little motard pony wanted it bad enough to bite me on the right butt cheek to get it. It happened as shown below, taken right before the bite. We talked (me and the pony---his name was Jimmy by the way) and we came to an understanding. (Check out my old 1980 North Face Backmagic backpack leaning against table).

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Fh2SAEKcRCk/TILS9rQDeZI/AAAAAAAAA8s/9Cj1b9SPmzE4oLG03Ci3yRc9RlGqpRtGwCCo/s639/Wild%2BPony%2Bnnnandnjuu%2BTW.jpg

Yeah, they tend to be pushy

See my comment above.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpacking2011/Tipi-Walter-In-Mt-Rogers/i-LgTzzcn/0/M/TRIP%20123%20284-M.jpg
Fast forward to 2011 when I was camping on Wilburn Ridge and a mom and her pony kid came up and stuck their heads into my tent. Fun was had by all. I suppose and assume they would tear food a food bag left unattended??

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpacking2011/Tipi-Walter-In-Mt-Rogers/i-J6vqwFG/0/M/TRIP%20123%20283-M.jpg
The kid pony showing some interest in Hilleberg tent products.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpacking2011/Tipi-Walter-In-Mt-Rogers/i-7bQhsSf/0/M/TRIP%20123%20155-M.jpg
I call this my Hippie Pony---You don't have to worry about eating your trail snacks or red apple as he just won't be able to see you.

Venchka
07-16-2016, 16:19
I'm organizing another get-together to celebrate returning to the trail after a too-long hiatus. It consists of a group hike up to Thomas Knob Shelter in the Grayson Highlands (and back) with a celebratory picnic (BYO) at the shelter. This hike is open to all, and a great way to meet other WBers!

Friday, October 14, 2014 10:00am to ?

Attendees:
Teacher
Gumball
Moose717
Hikermom
Grampsb

When is this?
Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."

Venchka
07-16-2016, 16:20
Duh. I said I was old and slow. Y'all have fun. I'm too far away.
Wayne

Uncle Joe
07-16-2016, 16:26
I'm a maybe. new grandson on the way about that time too.

Venchka
07-16-2016, 17:13
Ok. I'm not insane. Using Tapatalk. The date and time is in some invisible text color. It showed up in the quoted text earlier. Now it's gone.
Most bizarre.
Wayne

Teacher & Snacktime
07-16-2016, 18:15
I'm a maybe. new grandson on the way about that time too.

Well, maybe it will work out you can come, but congrats!

Duh. I said I was old and slow. Y'all have fun. I'm too far away.
Wayne

Sorry we'll miss you. but let me know the next time you're on the trail!

Venchka
07-16-2016, 18:24
Please don't write in invisible ink!
October is a possibility. Grandfather Mountain or Grayson Highlands. Y'all have fun.
Wayne

Teacher & Snacktime
07-16-2016, 18:38
Please don't write in invisible ink!
October is a possibility. Grandfather Mountain or Grayson Highlands. Y'all have fun.
Wayne

Well, I didn't mean to! I didn't even know "invisible" was a color option! Anyway, I hope it works out that you can make it. Please let me know as the date gets closer.

Rolls Kanardly
07-16-2016, 19:03
I will be there in spirit. Have a good hike.
Rolls

Teacher & Snacktime
07-16-2016, 19:05
I will be there in spirit. Have a good hike.
Rolls

Your generosity-namesake, aka "Gumball" will be there as your representative :)

RADHiker
07-16-2016, 22:05
Sounds like fun! I'd love to join you if I'm in town. :)

Teacher & Snacktime
07-16-2016, 22:13
Sounds like fun! I'd love to join you if I'm in town. :)

We'd love to have you. Let us know!

Many Moons
08-03-2016, 22:00
Got vacation for this day hike. Going to introduce wife to hiking and this sounds like the perfect hike with other hikers. See you all on that morning! Hike On!!!

Friday, October 14, 2014 10:00am to ?

Attendees:
Teacher
Gumball
Moose717
Hikermom
Grampsb

Teacher & Snacktime
08-04-2016, 19:48
Got vacation for this day hike. Going to introduce wife to hiking and this sounds like the perfect hike with other hikers. See you all on that morning! Hike On!!!

That's excellent! I'll update the board as soon as one of the MOD's gives me access! Look forward to seeing you there!

frontovik193
08-05-2016, 11:08
If I can get the time off work I would love to join you guys. I have been looking for an excuse to get out and do this hike for a little while now.

Grampsb
09-14-2016, 17:10
Sorry for the the long post
I take it this is parking lot where the AT spur trail is and not the parking lot up the road a bit. I will most likely be doing a 3 - 5 day hike spending the first night at the Shelter and then doing Mr Rodgers the next day before moving on to another shelter.
Since I am retired and have or less have all the time in the world I figured it would be a good shake down for some of my gear and sharpen up on some skills.
I spent most of today taking a nice long ride from Bluff City Tn (where I currently reside to the Jefferson NF welcome center on route 16 just outside Marion Va. I was able to talk to one of the staff (Margret) and we discussed some possible routes, since she is a hiker and has a good portion of that section of the trail. She did recommend the Scales and Crest Trail for the views. So any advice on a loop from Massie Gap and back would be welcome.
After stopping at the NF welcome center I continued on south to Valoney and then taking route 58 to Grayson Highlands SP so I could find out where we are meeting.
After that I took 58 to Damascus and then back Home via 58 and TN91. A lot of twist and turns involved, but all in all a good trip and I was able to get a few pictures
By the way I drive a Blue 2014 Honda CRV.

Teacher & Snacktime
09-14-2016, 20:43
Grampsb,

I wish I had more info about the area, but I've only hiked a couple of miles out of the Massie Gap lot both times I've been to Grayson Highlands. Hopefully somebody here will have the info you're looking for!

Do you think you might join us?

Teacher & Snacktime
09-23-2016, 11:47

Friday, October 14, 2016 10:00am to ?

Attendees:
Teacher
Gumball
Moose717
Grampsb

Ok, it's less than a month away. Do we have a final count or is this plan going the way of the dodo?

Gambit McCrae
09-23-2016, 12:37
Wish I could go Ill be finishing up my week in PA :(

tiptoe
09-23-2016, 12:45
Just for the record (I used to make a living as a copy editor), October 16 is a Sunday, not a Friday, this year. The date was probably copied/pasted from a 2014 post.

Venchka
09-23-2016, 12:55
Rats. A week too early. We'll be back in the neighborhood later in October. I'm aiming to at least scout the route from Boone to Damascus to Grayson Highlands SP to West Jefferson for lunch or dinner & back to Boone.
Y'all have fun.
Wayne

dudeijuststarted
09-23-2016, 13:25
I don't know if a fresh red apple is human food but I carried one into Mt Rogers back on a 1997 backpacking trip (see below) and the little motard pony

that's not very nice!

Teacher & Snacktime
09-23-2016, 17:01
CORRECTED INFO

Attendees:
Teacher
Gumball
Moose717
Grampsb

It appears I transposed the date and the year (4 and 6) in the original post. I don't seem to have edit ability so I've been unable to fix it. Please note the corrected info and hopefully we can get a hike set up!

Teacher & Snacktime
09-23-2016, 17:02
Just for the record (I used to make a living as a copy editor), October 16 is a Sunday, not a Friday, this year. The date was probably copied/pasted from a 2014 post.

No tiptoe, I transposed the 4 and the 6 and couldn't get back in to fix it

Venchka
09-23-2016, 18:30
So close. Yet still so far.
Drop a few breadcrumbs and I will follow Y'alls trail.
On the way to dinner in West Jefferson, NC.
[emoji41][emoji106][emoji1]
Wayne

Deer Hunter
09-23-2016, 18:52
I'm in. :)

Trillium
09-23-2016, 19:42
CORRECTED INFO

Shucks, I would have loved to come and hike with you but my vacation doesn't start until 10/19.

Teacher & Snacktime
09-24-2016, 00:19
Shucks, I would have loved to come and hike with you but my vacation doesn't start until 10/19.

sick days?

Teacher & Snacktime
09-24-2016, 00:30
CORRECTED INFO

Attendees:
Teacher
Gumball
Moose717
Grampsb
Many Moons x2
Deer Hunter

and maybes for:

Frontovik 193
wobbles
jpolk84

Teacher & Snacktime
10-03-2016, 08:26
and maybes for:

Frontovik 193
wobbles
jpolk84

LAST CALL !!!!

We're heading out soon and won't be available to check in on this post, so please let me know if you're coming by PMing me your contact phone # before Thursday and I'll reply with mine. This should be fun :). I hope to see a bunch of folks there, and properly introduce Gumball to the WB community!

moose717
10-03-2016, 13:24
Can't wait Teach! Hopefully I'll be packed and ready to go by then ;)

Teacher & Snacktime
10-03-2016, 16:20
Can't wait Teach! Hopefully I'll be packed and ready to go by then ;)

Packed, not packed, whatever. We'll just throw it all in the back of the van!

Many Moons
10-06-2016, 11:21
Looks like we will be in Boone, NC for the Friday evening. I plan on doing this hike on Saturday. Wish we could have made hike with ya'll on Friday. Have a great hike. Hike On!!!!

Many Moons

Attendees:
Teacher
Gumball
Moose717
Hikermom
Grampsb

Teacher & Snacktime
10-06-2016, 16:13
Looks like we will be in Boone, NC for the Friday evening. I plan on doing this hike on Saturday. Wish we could have made hike with ya'll on Friday. Have a great hike. Hike On!!!!

Many Moons

Sorry we'll miss you this time MM. There'll be more opportunities :)

Many Moons
10-08-2016, 10:56
What trails in the Park do you take for this hike? I printed off a park map, but does not list where Thomas Knob shelter is or high point of area. Thanks! hike On!!!

Many Moons

Attendees:
Teacher
Gumball
Moose717
Hikermom
Grampsb

Grampsb
10-11-2016, 07:07
Looks like I won't be able to make it

tiptoe
10-24-2016, 16:24
So how did the hike go? Will you be posting photos, Teacher?

Dogwood
10-24-2016, 19:34
Grayson Highland ponies are transplants from Assateague Island in VA where it is illegal in both places to feed or pet the ponies. At Assategue Rangers enforce this park rule diligently. Suggesting or implying 'come pet the ponies' even if intended metaphorically is in bad taste as there are those who will believe and act on anything said or suggested on the web. In Grayson I've seen Rangers disrupt and sternly chastise people who feed and touch the ponies. Even though in both places the ponies are semi wild seeming they are still wild. The saying 'keep wildlife wild' is a rather common admonishment. Wildlife is to be enjoyed at a distance with respect to keeping it wild for its own sake. Neither place is a human petting zoo.

Teacher & Snacktime
10-24-2016, 20:34
So how did the hike go? Will you be posting photos, Teacher?

I will Tiptoe, but not until Nov 3. Most of the pics have Gumball in them.

Teacher & Snacktime
10-24-2016, 20:43
Grayson Highland ponies are transplants from Assateague Island in VA where it is illegal in both places to feed or pet the ponies. At Assategue Rangers enforce this park rule diligently. Suggesting or implying 'come pet the ponies' even if intended metaphorically is in bad taste as there are those who will believe and act on anything said or suggested on the web. In Grayson I've seen Rangers disrupt and sternly chastise people who feed and touch the ponies. Even though in both places the ponies are semi wild seeming they are still wild. The saying 'keep wildlife wild' is a rather common admonishment. Wildlife is to be enjoyed at a distance with respect to keeping it wild for its own sake. Neither place is a human petting zoo.

Dogwood, please don't take offense, but ..... bite me. I'm really tired of the holier-than-thou attitude I've received over this. I tried to make it clear that my phraseology was for the sake of alliteration and not actually a recommendation to defy the regulations regarding the ponies. For my efforts I've already been personally attacked and accused of being of "low morals". For what? For assuming WhiteBlazers can read the "do not touch" signs and know better than to violate the park regulations despite my colorful portrayal?

I'd appreciate it if all the naysayers would relax enough to realize that not everyone is out to threaten wildlife, the environment, the trail, etc. I'm capable of both respecting and enjoying the aforementioned. I refuse to take responsibility for the behavior of others however.

MuddyWaters
10-24-2016, 20:49
If ponies were wild, Id be all over people for petting and feeding as well.
But they arent.
They are only feral in a somewhat loose sense as well, having been placed there, and somewhat managed.
They receive yearly checkups from a vet for petes sake.

they are like domestic ponies in a back 40 pasture.
A really big back 40 pasture.

Officially discouraging interaction is probably as much to protect people from accidental bites and kicks, as it is to protect the ponies from poor diet, etc.

moose717
10-25-2016, 09:25
Dogwood, please don't take offense, but ..... bite me. I'm really tired of the holier-than-thou attitude I've received over this. I tried to make it clear that my phraseology was for the sake of alliteration and not actually a recommendation to defy the regulations regarding the ponies. For my efforts I've already been personally attacked and accused of being of "low morals". For what? For assuming WhiteBlazers can read the "do not touch" signs and know better than to violate the park regulations despite my colorful portrayal?

I'd appreciate it if all the naysayers would relax enough to realize that not everyone is out to threaten wildlife, the environment, the trail, etc. I'm capable of both respecting and enjoying the aforementioned. I refuse to take responsibility for the behavior of others however.

Good answer Teacher. Boy did I want to pet those ponies! But ... I am an adult, I can read & I didn't want to take the chance of being bitten!

Uncle Joe
10-25-2016, 09:52
LAST CALL !!!!

We're heading out soon and won't be available to check in on this post, so please let me know if you're coming by PMing me your contact phone # before Thursday and I'll reply with mine. This should be fun :). I hope to see a bunch of folks there, and properly introduce Gumball to the WB community!

Sorry I missed it!

rocketsocks
10-25-2016, 14:26

I'd appreciate it if all the naysayers would relax enough to realize that not everyone is out to threaten wildlife, the environment, the trail, etc. I'm capable of both respecting and enjoying the aforementioned. I refuse to take responsibility for the behavior of others however.when I was in assatigue, they came into my camp on the beach...what's a body to do but pet them when there nudgin' ya...good for you Teach!

tiptoe
10-25-2016, 14:58
And when I was camping on Assateague Island many moons ago, the ponies would bare their teeth at my kids to chase them away from the water fountains. One even took a loaf of bread (not mine) that was left unattended on a picnic table.

Teacher & Snacktime
10-25-2016, 16:16
I've posted this picture before of our Grayson Highlands visit during Trail Days 2014. To me it portrays the feeling of the place where a child can observe yet be a part of this wonderful bit of nature.

Dogwood
10-25-2016, 18:35
lol. bite me? i have horse teeth be careful what you wish for. :D got people to think about it more though didn't we? maybe that was the intention?:-?

Teacher & Snacktime
10-25-2016, 19:05
lol. bite me? i have horse teeth be careful what you wish for. :D got people to think about it more though didn't we? maybe that was the intention?:-?

I was hoping you wouldn't be offended :) but that was a red hot button you pushed! Anyway, we found and left the ponies their normal, placid selves this trip with one major exception: this one was a techno-geek pony insisting that Moose explain the newest apps to him! (She showed, but didn't touch!) WILD pony...right. Too bad you can't see the bluetooth he was sporting in his left ear.

Dogwood
10-25-2016, 19:32
i'd rather laugh, consider, forgive, walk in love and understanding, and find ways to peace and appreciate than be or stay offended or constantly complain. :cool:
great pic. Is that Snacktime and you? i really like what you're doing! kudos. :clap

Another Kevin
10-25-2016, 19:35
great pic. Is that Snacktime and you?

No, I recognize in the pic, that's Gumball. Snacktime's cousin.

Teacher & Snacktime
10-25-2016, 19:50
That's Moose, Gumball, and Techno-pony :)

moose717
10-26-2016, 09:16
I was hoping you wouldn't be offended :) but that was a red hot button you pushed! Anyway, we found and left the ponies their normal, placid selves this trip with one major exception: this one was a techno-geek pony insisting that Moose explain the newest apps to him! (She showed, but didn't touch!) WILD pony...right. Too bad you can't see the bluetooth he was sporting in his left ear.

I love this picture of us! I think I was showing them our food options for that afternoon. I needed opinions :)