PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever seen bent trees on your hike?

THEDON
07-15-2016, 07:14
Interesting article. I've seen a few on my journeys along the AT.

http://www.answers.com/article/31013319/whats-up-with-these-bent-trees-in-the-woods?paramt=21&param4=fb-us-de-red&param1=inked&param2=67206642&param5=10153631992951186&param6=6049200353847

illabelle
07-15-2016, 08:48
Fascinating! :)

Bronk
07-15-2016, 12:44
I have seen dozens of these trees in south central Missouri. Native americans used them to mark water sources, camp sites and other features. A friend of mine has a line of these trees that stretches over a mile through the woods leading to a river.

The Jesuits also used these marker trees, but the bend would be 10 to 15 feet in the air. They used the trees to mark places where they had buried treasure, so if you find one of them check it out with a metal detector.

Teacher & Snacktime
07-15-2016, 14:14
Every step along the trail in GSMNP between Clingman's Dome and Newfound Gap. I started singing "There was a crooked man" as my hiking cadence.

There was a crooked hiker
who saw a crooked tree
upon a crooked trail
(That hiker was me).

nsherry61
07-15-2016, 14:44
I've seen lots of trees similar to those shown in the article. I'm sure some people, some times, have bent trees intentionally. BUT, the "article" seems to imply that most of them are made by people, and that is about as responsible as the conspiracy theories about things like chemtrails behind airplanes . . . some people just don't understand pretty simple natural processes.

All kinds of things from strong winds to disease to snow and ice to falling trees (that later rot away), lead to bent trees. Since the highest point on a growing plant typically takes over as the dominant vertical growth point (the apical meristem), it is completely natural and common for a bent tree to have one of the newly vertical branches take over and become the dominant "trunk" of the tree, creating a right angle bend in the trunk. This is pretty basic botany and forest natural history. It doesn't require any other outside influence to explain it.

Teacher & Snacktime
07-15-2016, 15:02
I've seen lots of trees similar to those shown in the article. I'm sure some people, some times, have bent trees intentionally. BUT, the "article" seems to imply that most of them are made by people, and that is about as responsible as the conspiracy theories about things like chemtrails behind airplanes . . . some people just don't understand pretty simple natural processes.

All kinds of things from strong winds to disease to snow and ice to falling trees (that later rot away), lead to bent trees. Since the highest point on a growing plant typically takes over as the dominant vertical growth point (the apical meristem), it is completely natural and common for a bent tree to have one of the newly vertical branches take over and become the dominant "trunk" of the tree, creating a right angle bend in the trunk. This is pretty basic botany and forest natural history. It doesn't require any other outside influence to explain it.

Feh, what's logic? It's aliens of course.

Slo-go'en
07-15-2016, 15:25
If the Indians bent these trees, they would have to be on the order of 300 years old. Now it's possible that some of them could still be around, but it's not all that likely many have survived to this day.

nsherry61
07-15-2016, 15:43
If the Indians bent these trees, they would have to be on the order of 300 years old. . .
Now, now, I was served a beer last night by a native american and I don't think he was 300 years old and I'll bet he was still able to bend trees. ;-)

On another point, given how important it is to many of us in the hiking, backpacking, and especially paddling community it may be that dihydrogen monoxide (http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html) also played a roll in the bending of trees.

nsherry61
07-15-2016, 15:57
FWIW I actually really like seeing bent trees. I think they are awesome, and yes, often mysterious. Having recently moved to New England, I was amazed at all the trees I saw, especially up in the White Mountains of NH, that are beautifully arched about my head height (https://www.dreamstime.com/stock-photo-bent-tree-winter-snow-covered-forest-nature-slowly-wakes-up-snow-storm-image48383666) in a way I've never seen before. Then winter came. Wow, after a good icy wet snow storm, it seemed like every tree in the woods behind my house looked exactly like all the arched trees in NH. The other common snow-bent trees are all the elephant trunk looking trees (http://www.panoramio.com/photo_explorer#view=photo&position=49&with_photo_id=23614914&order=date_desc&user=3343103) that have been bent downhill, as young saplings, by heavy snows and then grown back vertical again.

Sarcasm the elf
07-15-2016, 17:12
If the Indians bent these trees, they would have to be on the order of 300 years old. Now it's possible that some of them could still be around, but it's not all that likely many have survived to this day.

Is it beyond reason to think that over the years others have heard of this practice and replicated it? I have been on trail less hikes in the catskills where this very sort of tree was used as a landmark for an important turn down a notch in the mountains. I couldn't tell you who it was that modified the tree, but it was definitely done by someone.

Edit to add: Now that said, I do understand that many (most?) of these trees are formed naturally as well. I have just seen a few over the years that seemed very deliberately placed.

Dogwood
07-15-2016, 17:52
The windswept trees in the krumholz zone of the White Mts, New Hampshire, and Maine on and around the AT, Sierra on the JMT/Sierra High Route, near treeline on the Colorado Trail, and along the western coast in Washington, Oregon and Cali are to me much more scenic than one bent tree.

Here's a twisted tree(Sitka Spruce) called the Octopus Tree I saw a few days ago on the Oregon Coast Tr. in Cape Meares State Park. It's debated whether the tree naturally formed this way from the winds, etc or Native Americans also had a hand in shaping the tree. This tree up close is actually only one tree with no one central leader. Adding tree interest to the day nearby also in Cape Meares SP is Oregon's largest Sitka Spruce a behemoth with a 15 ft diam. I've hiked past so many 7ft+ diam. Sitka Spruce and several large old growth Western Red Cedar also 7 ft + diam they have started to almost become commonplace. http://theoregoncoast.info/OctopusTree.html
http://www.amusingplanet.com/2013/10/the-octopus-tree-of-oregon.html

-Rush-
07-15-2016, 18:07
I came across this one on my night hike from Rock Gap to Siler Bald. It's located 2 miles or so up from Winding Stair Gap. It was kinda spooky as it faded into view from my headlamp.

This is the same tree circa 2012.

Shutterbug
07-15-2016, 19:19

http://www.answers.com/article/31013319/whats-up-with-these-bent-trees-in-the-woods?paramt=21&param4=fb-us-de-red&param1=inked&param2=67206642&param5=10153631992951186&param6=6049200353847

I saw one this week. This bent tree is beside the Wonderland Trail near the Frying Pan Creek. Those are my grandsons at the tree.

CamelMan
07-15-2016, 21:18
I saw several of these up in the UP last week, actually, and related this story to my sister, since I just ran across it somewhere else. There's a historical marker in Wilmette, so I suppose it must be legit ;) but I've wondered the same thing, if it's not just natural causes.

Odd Man Out
07-15-2016, 23:28
I think we all must take pictures of gnarly trees . Here's one in SNP. The trail goes right through it. I presume some are bent from natural forces. Not sure how to tell if it could have historic value. Still a nice picture

jeffmeh
07-16-2016, 09:40
There were quite a few of them in and around the Whites that I understood were attributed to the hurricane of 1938. While I don't know for sure, I am skeptical that all or most were man made.

Bronk
07-16-2016, 10:51

The Cherokee weren't removed from the Dahlonega, Georgia area until 1838. So some of the trees would be less than 200 years old. Hardwood trees could easily be that old and still be around.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trail_of_Tears

Dan Roper
07-18-2016, 20:22
Bent trees are of natural origin, though there is a persistent, good-faith, good-natured, and totally erroneous folklore that they are "trail trees" left by Cherokee and other Indians. There are even books written now by Trail Tree disciples to this effect.

Trail trees result from storms that bend a limber, young tree horizontal or nearly horizontal. When that happens, a side branch that happens to end up pointing upwards assumes dominance and begins to "reach for the sky," becoming the new trunk. The old top, which is horizontal to the ground, eventually dies and rots off to the point where the new leader is growing. This leaves the angled tree. (Sometimes humans do aid in the process, as when a tired hunter or Boy Scout bends a sapling over, sits on it, and leaves it bent, resulting in the same shape). With that one exception, these trees are perfectly normal.

Many explorers, hunters, surveyors, soldiers, naturalists, mappers, and other travelers of European descent traveled the Cherokee country in the 1700s and 1800s. Not a single one - not Bartram, not Featherstonehaugh, not Hawkins, none - mention the Cherokee using trees to mark trails. They do mention a variety of other ways - hatchet marks (notches), animal skins fixed to trees, etc.

I have a degree in forestry (University of Georgia, 1983) and publish a magazine devoted to Georgia history. I wrote an article, "They're Not Trail Trees!", that appeared in the Autumn 2012 issue of Georgia Backroads magazine.

Secondmouse
07-19-2016, 10:29
Bent trees are of natural origin, though there is a persistent, good-faith, good-natured, and totally erroneous folklore that they are "trail trees" left by Cherokee and other Indians. There are even books written now by Trail Tree disciples to this effect.

Trail trees result from storms that bend a limber, young tree horizontal or nearly horizontal. When that happens, a side branch that happens to end up pointing upwards assumes dominance and begins to "reach for the sky," becoming the new trunk. The old top, which is horizontal to the ground, eventually dies and rots off to the point where the new leader is growing. This leaves the angled tree. (Sometimes humans do aid in the process, as when a tired hunter or Boy Scout bends a sapling over, sits on it, and leaves it bent, resulting in the same shape). With that one exception, these trees are perfectly normal.

Many explorers, hunters, surveyors, soldiers, naturalists, mappers, and other travelers of European descent traveled the Cherokee country in the 1700s and 1800s. Not a single one - not Bartram, not Featherstonehaugh, not Hawkins, none - mention the Cherokee using trees to mark trails. They do mention a variety of other ways - hatchet marks (notches), animal skins fixed to trees, etc.

I have a degree in forestry (University of Georgia, 1983) and publish a magazine devoted to Georgia history. I wrote an article, "They're Not Trail Trees!", that appeared in the Autumn 2012 issue of Georgia Backroads magazine.

next thing you'll be telling kids there's no Santa Claus. or something equally ridiculous...

-Rush-
07-19-2016, 15:38
next thing you'll be telling kids there's no Santa Claus. or something equally ridiculous...

Dan Roper seems to be far more educated on this subject than anyone else posting here. I'm not saying he is 100% correct, but to discount his claim immediately as 'ridiculous' without any follow-up questions or research on your own is ridiculous.

CalebJ
07-19-2016, 15:47
Dan Roper seems to be far more educated on this subject than anyone else posting here. I'm not saying he is 100% correct, but to discount his claim immediately as 'ridiculous' without any follow-up questions or research on your own is ridiculous.

Secondmouse didn't dismiss Dan's post as ridiculous. Try reading through it one more time.

Dan Roper
07-19-2016, 16:03
The origin of bent trees is an interesting topic that incites a great deal of passion from those who believe these trees are of manmade origin. The Trail Trees disciples, as I call them, feel strongly about the validity of their beliefs and view skeptics as flat out wrong and closed-minded.

But the trees are of natural origin. I've attached a PDF of the story I wrote four years ago. It isn't exhaustive, but it goes into alot more detail than my post up above.

Lnj
07-20-2016, 11:11
Still... awesome to see. I LOVE trees, and all the more when they don't just go straight up. Who cares how they got that way? Just beautiful anyway.

Lnj
07-20-2016, 11:12
I came across this one on my night hike from Rock Gap to Siler Bald. It's located 2 miles or so up from Winding Stair Gap. It was kinda spooky as it faded into view from my headlamp.

This is the same tree circa 2012.
The PMT (Pine Mountain Trail) has one that looks almost identical to this one!

Diamondlil
07-20-2016, 12:34
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160720/d05a3158943adeaafc5963436a8402bb.jpg

Found this beauty around Bland, VA on the AT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fireplug
07-20-2016, 12:35
Does this count???

Lnj
07-20-2016, 13:11
does this count???

cool!!!!!!!!!!!

adamkrz
07-20-2016, 13:50
There are some local trails near me in which this past couple of months about 20 trees have been bent, all the trees are about 15 ft high and have been bent by the local teenagers who shimmy up the tree and ride the tree down as it bends, Unfortunately many of the trees may die because the bark is damaged at the bend.

I'll post a photo when i get a chance.

Secondmouse
07-20-2016, 15:44

dude, get an x-ray. I think you're missing a funny bone...