PDA

View Full Version : Cheap down quilt alternative?

lilgodwin
07-16-2016, 22:40
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/blue-ridge-home-fashions-microfiber-down-throw-blanket~p~91122/

My buddy said he found these at Costco awhile back and picked up quite a few. After talking a bit it seemed like they were pretty good.

I've been looking for a great deal of a bag/quilt and am wondering if this would be a good alternative to work with. Maybe sewing a few together, and/or cutting them down to size to make the best shape and thickness for me.

Does this seem like a good idea? If not, why? The only thing I see is a lack of water resistance?

If this is a bad idea, are there any other alternatives to getting a cheap down quilt that functions well and packs well?

Thanks!

Deb
07-16-2016, 23:21
I have one of these. In summer, paired with a silk liner, it's a very good set-up for me. I'm small and only needed one. The loft isn't much, but it was fine for warm nights. Also easy care - just toss it in the washer.

lilgodwin
07-16-2016, 23:30
It didn't seem like it had much loft. I thought about buying a few of them and sewing them together for double thickness.

Abi
07-17-2016, 02:54
How much does it weigh?

lilgodwin
07-17-2016, 03:01
Did a quick search of the product page and someone answered that question with "1lb 5oz".

Didn't look that up before. I guess that makes this a bad idea. Still looking for good/cheap alternatives... If they exist.

saltysack
07-17-2016, 08:09
JRB had the 45* Sierra Stealth on sale for $100 for seconds with minor defects...nice summer quilt for 50*+.....around 18oz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rain Man
07-17-2016, 09:20
Costco down throw modifications are discussed extensively at hammockforums.net as cheap alternatives.

I have several and have modified several and am happy with the results.

lilgodwin
07-17-2016, 11:14
Costco down throw modifications are discussed extensively at hammockforums.net as cheap alternatives.

I have several and have modified several and am happy with the results.
Did I misunderstand though that each quilt is 1lb 5oz? I'm thinking that the microfiber is the issue for the weight and I didn't think about water resistance. Wouldn't this quickly turn into a heavy quilt to get the right setup and still not provide water resistance?

daddytwosticks
07-17-2016, 13:20
All the cool kids over on Backpackinglight.com were talking about these Costco throws way back a few months ago. Seems like there was a member taking two of them and modding into a full sized quilt. Unfortunately, it seemed like finding them then at Costco's was hit-or-miss. Now with it being warmer weather, the chances of finding seasonal throws may be slim to none. You could always try a military surplus poncho liner. Good luck. :)

Connie
07-17-2016, 14:17
I have seen inexpensive quilted blankets for children, that are quite warm, launder clean, and have cartoon designs on the cloth. I would think a child's quilt over back and knees, with a warmish jacket and hood or hat would be sufficient in warm weather.

I have used artificial insulated "elephant's foot" sleeping bags that way.. a child's sleep-over sleeping bag would do as well. The Neoair or sleeping pad would make the difference.

My XTherm makes all the more lightweight top covering more reasonable.

JackThLion
07-21-2016, 11:17
I use a costco down throw as my 1lb summer quilt. I sewed up a footbox. Love it. It's warm enough, but wouldn't be long enough for anyone taller than me (5'7"). My husband uses his as an extra layer during winter camping, stuffed inside his main sleeping bag.

I do think that the microfiber one would end up being too heavy though, especially doubled. The reason that the Costco throws were so great was that the fabric was a pretty typical silky sleeping bag type. (That and being super cheap!)35502

AfterParty
07-21-2016, 13:54
+1 poncho liner