PDA

View Full Version : Are there Pokemons on Katahdin?

ggreaves
07-16-2016, 22:52
Any summit pics with monsters all over the sign?

peakbagger
07-17-2016, 07:25
I expect you asking rhetorically, but no electronic devices in the park and therefore the virtual monsters are protected along with all the other real animals in the park.

tdoczi
07-17-2016, 07:59
I expect you asking rhetorically, but no electronic devices in the park and therefore the virtual monsters are protected along with all the other real animals in the park.

what about all of those summit photos that everyone takes? i suppose an old school full manual film camera isnt electronic but i doubt thats what people are using.

Slo-go'en
07-17-2016, 08:53
I think Peakbagger means no cell service in the park so no virtual monsters. Unless there is a mode in the app to operate off line with just GPS.

upstream
07-17-2016, 10:29
Those monsters are all (sub)urban. My son didn't see a single one while helping me cut weeds in Tray Mountain wilderness last week.

rickb
07-17-2016, 10:46

Electronic devices (with some exceptions, like metal detectors) are absolutely permitted in Baxter State Park.

The regulations simply state that you may not use them in any way that impairs other people's enjoyment of the park (edit: or in a way harasses wildlife).

Happy to be corrected on this by anyone who can provide a cite to the contrary.

MuddyWaters
07-17-2016, 13:04

says it all

rocketsocks
07-17-2016, 13:47
Why would anyone poke a mom while she's driving???

peakbagger
07-17-2016, 20:18
Since the street corner lawyers have decided to participate Section 4.8 "The use of electronic devices in any way that impairs the enjoyment of the Park by others is prohibited".

Traditionally the park staff enforces the rule by limiting the use of devices in public in manner that potentially disturbs others. Radios/tape decks can be used as long as they are not audible outside of the boundaries of campsite. What many folks don't realize is that it is quite rare to see a park employee and enforcing rules aggressively is not their primary job. They would much rather educate the public. Using a cell phone like a camera is most likely not impairing the preponderance of those on the summit. On the other hand someone with cell phone yacking to their friends with the conference function speaker cranked up probably would impair the enjoyment of others. Having not seen anyone actually playing the game I don't know if they would be actively impairing the enjoyment of others. I guess I would consider someone playing a cell phone game on top of Mt Katahdin as someone who seriously need to get a life.

egilbe
07-17-2016, 20:20
Since the street corner lawyers have decided to participate Section 4.8 "The use of electronic devices in any way that impairs the enjoyment of the Park by others is prohibited".

Traditionally the park staff enforces the rule by limiting the use of devices in public in manner that potentially disturbs others. Radios/tape decks can be used as long as they are not audible outside of the boundaries of campsite. What many folks don't realize is that it is quite rare to see a park employee and enforcing rules aggressively is not their primary job. They would much rather educate the public. Using a cell phone like a camera is most likely not impairing the preponderance of those on the summit. On the other hand someone with cell phone yacking to their friends with the conference function speaker cranked up probably would impair the enjoyment of others. Having not seen anyone actually playing the game I don't know if they would be actively impairing the enjoyment of others. I guess I would consider someone playing a cell phone game on top of Mt Katahdin as someone who seriously need to get a life.

Watching the mindless zombies playing pokemon go, on top of Katahdin, I'd assume they wouldnt have their current life very long

rickb
07-17-2016, 20:41

Exactly.

But you can't harass wildlife with your electronic devices, either.

That's in the regulations also.

Electronic devices (most) are allowed, however.

JumpMaster Blaster
07-17-2016, 20:46
What the what?

rickb
07-17-2016, 21:15
What the what?

While I would not expect BSP to follow the lead of the National Park Service, it is rather facinating that its director has already seen fit to speak out on Pokemon Go:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10153602428786389&id=59420116388&refsrc=https%3A%2F%2Fm.facebook.com%2Fplugins%2Fvi deo.php&_rdr

tdoczi
07-17-2016, 23:40
Using a cell phone like a camera is most likely not impairing the preponderance of those on the summit.

i wasnt referring merely to taking pictures with a cell phone. all cameras that have a functionality dependent upon batteries to operate, ie all digital cameras attached to a phone or not, and most (overwhelmingly so) film cameras are "electronic devices" and if there were such a rule would not be allowed in baxter state park.

now clearly thats just a completely silly thing to suggest that such a rule exists. yet suggest it you did. that was my point.

rocketsocks
07-18-2016, 01:16
Any summit pics with monsters all over the sign?
they can't be on Katahdin, cause everywhere I went today said they had em! :rolleyes:

AfterParty
07-18-2016, 10:13
What's a a Pokémon? Like Facebook

peakbagger
07-18-2016, 10:43
They have liberalized the rules in recent years to be far less restrictive so I will apologize for not checking the latest version of the rules.

greenpete
07-18-2016, 11:53
What the hell's a Pokemon? Is that like a Pac-Man?

tdoczi
07-18-2016, 12:23
They have liberalized the rules in recent years to be far less restrictive so I will apologize for not checking the latest version of the rules.

so once upon a time cameras that required batteries to operate (auto focusing ones, whether film or digital) were not permitted in baxter state park? they are most certainly "electronic devices"

rickb
07-18-2016, 12:39
so once upon a time cameras that required batteries to operate (auto focusing ones, whether film or digital) were not permitted in baxter state park? they are most certainly "electronic devices"

I am am not sure about that, but the BSP rules used to be much harsher.

Not so long ago, they were written such that you would have been in violation for simply walking down the trail while listening to Air Supply on your headphones:

25. AUDIO DEVICES: Audio devices such as radios, televisions, cassette players, or cellular telephones may not be operated within the Park.

While that may quite rightly seem to be a crime even today, the way the rules are written now suggests it is not -- so long as you are not bothering wildlife, or other park users.

gpburdelljr
07-18-2016, 14:10
Are Pokeman characters wildlife?

ChuckT
07-20-2016, 13:55
Get a life.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Lnj
07-20-2016, 17:23
What the hell's a Pokemon? Is that like a Pac-Man?

ROTFL!!!! I only know because I have teenagers. But your question makes me giggle, though I really don't know how to explain what they are. I think a kid would need to do that.

Tipi Walter
07-20-2016, 17:31
Watching the mindless zombies playing pokemon go, on top of Katahdin, I'd assume they wouldnt have their current life very long

Exactly. Phone addiction kills. Texting and driving. Now it's Screen Drooling and Hiking. These droolers are more than welcome to come hike this summer in the TN mountains where it's a good chance they'll get pit viper envenomated because their eyeballs are hypnotized by the false pixel allure. People are half-clueless anyway, now they are totally clueless. Electronic Torpidity.

rafe
07-20-2016, 18:37
Exactly. Phone addiction kills. Texting and driving. Now it's Screen Drooling and Hiking. These droolers are more than welcome to come hike this summer in the TN mountains where it's a good chance they'll get pit viper envenomated because their eyeballs are hypnotized by the false pixel allure. People are half-clueless anyway, now they are totally clueless. Electronic Torpidity.

tell us how you really feel...