PDA

View Full Version : Do I really need these?

skinnbones
07-17-2016, 08:50
The BV 500 bear canister and the Ursack are both around $70. Do I really need these? Can't I use any cheap bag to store my food since it will be safely hung from a tree? I just can't adopt the notion of spending all that cash for a plastic container or canvas bag. Thanks.

colorado_rob
07-17-2016, 08:53
On the AT, certainly not, just a food bag to hang. On the JMT, certainly yes on the bear canister. I assume you're talking the AT?

MuddyWaters
07-17-2016, 08:59
Depends on what you are doing with them.
If hiking AT, no.
If want to hike other areas, they will come in handy one day.
Ursack are really good in grand canyon, rodents are fierce.
Cannisters required in much of sierra

skinnbones
07-17-2016, 09:05
On the AT, certainly not, just a food bag to hang. On the JMT, certainly yes on the bear canister. I assume you're talking the AT?Yes, the AT. My wallet thanks you.

colorado_rob
07-17-2016, 09:09
Yes, the AT. My wallet thanks you.There is one file-mile section where canisters are required if you plan to camp in this 5-mile section. Practically everyone plans around this, you can too. This section is the last 5 miles before Neels Gap, mile 26-31 going NOBO.

skinnbones
07-17-2016, 09:22
There is one file-mile section where canisters are required if you plan to camp in this 5-mile section. Practically everyone plans around this, you can too. This section is the last 5 miles before Neels Gap, mile 26-31 going NOBO.Yes, I saw that in my guide book. Thanks.

Lone Wolf
07-17-2016, 09:25
The BV 500 bear canister and the Ursack are both around $70. Do I really need these? Can't I use any cheap bag to store my food since it will be safely hung from a tree? I just can't adopt the notion of spending all that cash for a plastic container or canvas bag. Thanks.

not needed on the AT

fastfoxengineering
07-17-2016, 19:24
On the AT, a silynlon or cuben stuff sack for food is ideal. About 12L's is good size for the AT

egilbe
07-17-2016, 20:22
I have an ursack. I use it to avoid having to hang my food bag. Different priorities, I guess.

swisscross
07-17-2016, 20:32
Why not just use the thin plastic bag from the grocery store?

Fireplug
07-17-2016, 23:48
There is one file-mile section where canisters are required if you plan to camp in this 5-mile section. Practically everyone plans around this, you can too. This section is the last 5 miles before Neels Gap, mile 26-31 going NOBO.

I think ink that's only March to June. After that they tell the Bears not to mess with food bags!!!!!

-Rush-
07-18-2016, 00:30
There is one file-mile section where canisters are required if you plan to camp in this 5-mile section. Practically everyone plans around this, you can too. This section is the last 5 miles before Neels Gap, mile 26-31 going NOBO.

The section is Jarard Gap to Neel Gap. Most people push through so they don't have to deal with this, but Blood Mountain is the coolest place to camp until you get past Neel Gap, so keep that in mind.

JC13
07-18-2016, 14:40
Don't bring almonds if you don't have a rodent-proof bag. We lost our Outsak around Blood Mountain and the next night we had mice in every bag that had almonds in it.

ChuckT
07-20-2016, 13:55
I love almonds! Can feel my teeth growing now😀

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Mountain Bluebird
07-20-2016, 14:52
One precaution that Mike Clelland (153 Tips for Lightweight Backpacking) takes is to eat a late breakfast and early dinner. In the morning get on the trail, and walk a while, looking for a nice place for breakfast. In the afternoon, have an early dinner, repack and walk until you set up your tent. That way, he says, there is no odor of cooking/cooked food near the place where you sleep. I plan to do that in August, starting at HFerry and hiking to the south end of Shenandoah NP.

lilgodwin
07-20-2016, 15:53
One precaution that Mike Clelland (153 Tips for Lightweight Backpacking) takes is to eat a late breakfast and early dinner. In the morning get on the trail, and walk a while, looking for a nice place for breakfast. In the afternoon, have an early dinner, repack and walk until you set up your tent. That way, he says, there is no odor of cooking/cooked food near the place where you sleep. I plan to do that in August, starting at HFerry and hiking to the south end of Shenandoah NP.
I like that. I'll have to keep that in mind for my home soon. Thanks for sharing!

Fireplug
07-23-2016, 08:36
Everybody and I mean EVERYBODY who I met who had a canister HATES THEM and gets rid of them!!!!!!

WILLIAM HAYES
07-23-2016, 14:16
you dont need those on the AT just use a food bag