PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a flip flop that crosses calendar years....

Elaikases
07-18-2016, 22:32
Starting northbound in West Virginia June 3, 2018 and then starting southbound in West Virginia March 1, 2019.

If I finish by June 3, 2019 does that count as a through hike since it completes in one year (365 days)?

Hikingjim
07-18-2016, 22:42
not sure how that distinction is relevant. It's a good hike, and if that's the timing that works, then go for it.

CalebJ
07-18-2016, 22:46
Of course it counts.

LIhikers
07-18-2016, 22:46
Since there's no official recognition for a thru hiker, you decide.
Now, you'll be a 2000 miler any way you look at it.

MuddyWaters
07-18-2016, 23:03
Not by MY definition.

A thru hike is an attempt to traverse a long trail in a reasonably unbroken continuous effort. I couldnt care less if it takes 2 yrs as long as steady progress

Some would cut slack for someone who takes a week or two off trail and goes home for some reason.

Most wouldnt for going home for 3-6months, and Im in that camp. Id call it two sections hikes, because thats what it looks and feels like. Two separate hikes.

But, what matters is only YOUR definition, because there is no absolute one, nor does it matter. Theres likely never been a pure thru hike of AT, spending every night on trail. People argue over levels of impurity, which is ridiculous.

Rain Man
07-19-2016, 10:29
I pretty much agree with Muddy, with one possible exception. I do not think it's "ridiculous" to "argue over levels of impurity" if a hiker doesn't actually hike on the AT, but that's a consideration of place not time.

By the way, I know hikers who intended to thru-hike, had an injury (or other reason outside their control) near the end, finished the next year, and normally will say "yes" if asked if they thru-hiked. Easier than a bunch of explanation and I have little to no problem with their quick answer. Also, I'd be very inclined to cut a hiker some slack (assuming in the first place they need it from me) if they start and finish within 12 months/365 days.

Now the really big question: which "Year" group do you march in during the Trail Days Parade?! LOL

Not by MY definition.

A thru hike is an attempt to traverse a long trail in a reasonably unbroken continuous effort. I couldnt care less if it takes 2 yrs as long as steady progress

Some would cut slack for someone who takes a week or two off trail and goes home for some reason.

Most wouldnt for going home for 3-6months, and Im in that camp. Id call it two sections hikes, because thats what it looks and feels like. Two separate hikes.

But, what matters is only YOUR definition, because there is no absolute one, nor does it matter. Theres likely never been a pure thru hike of AT, spending every night on trail. People argue over levels of impurity, which is ridiculous.

Slo-go'en
07-19-2016, 10:49
Breaking the hike up into to parts and taking the winter off is a good way to go, but calling it a thru hike is a bit of a stretch. Starting in HF March 1st just so you might finish by June isn't a real good idea as the chances of encountering really bad late winter/early spring weather is very great.

Starchild
07-19-2016, 11:21
IIRC ATC defines a thru as completed in a calendar year, I wouldn't, but then again I don't offer certificates or 2000 mile patches.

And although there is no separate thru hiker 'patch' they do ask if you qualify as a thru hiker.

As for if I think your hike qualified, it doesn't really matter, but if pressed I would say a gray area. Not because the past Jan 1st, but the time off between sections.

Elaikases
07-19-2016, 21:42
Breaking the hike up into to parts and taking the winter off is a good way to go, but calling it a thru hike is a bit of a stretch. Starting in HF March 1st just so you might finish by June isn't a real good idea as the chances of encountering really bad late winter/early spring weather is very great.

I've camped in 20 degrees below zero weather. March in Virginia doesn't look that bad.

But I get what you are saying.

I could do the entire thing in the same calendar year, but not if I want my wife to hike with me. If I want her along, she has to be able to take a three month break for credential maintenance purposes. I'm trying to figure out how to squeeze three + three + three months in the same year and not run up against closed conditions somewhere.

I will think on it some more. Guess I can always do it as a two section hike.

BillyGr
07-20-2016, 14:18
I've camped in 20 degrees below zero weather. March in Virginia doesn't look that bad.

But I get what you are saying.

I could do the entire thing in the same calendar year, but not if I want my wife to hike with me. If I want her along, she has to be able to take a three month break for credential maintenance purposes. I'm trying to figure out how to squeeze three + three + three months in the same year and not run up against closed conditions somewhere.

I will think on it some more. Guess I can always do it as a two section hike.

Not sure where you get the three + three + three part? Since most thru hikers take 6 months (or less) - would being able to do it in 6 months remove the need for the "credential maintenance"?

Don H
07-20-2016, 14:44
Well the new ATC 2000 Miler application states "Section Hiker (more than 12 months).

http://appalachiantrail.org/docs/default-source/default-document-library/new-2000-miler-application-no-correspondence-v14-5.pdf?sfvrsn=2

Then there's this:
"Northbound thru-hikers walk from Springer Mountain to Katahdin in one more-or-less continuous journey."
"Flip-floppers complete the Trail in twelve months or less, but with an alternate itinerary."
"Section-hikers complete the Trail in more than 12 months, usually hiking the A.T. in multiple sections over a span of years that can range from a couple big pieces over 2 summers to many small pieces over a lifetime.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/2000-milers

Seems to me, based on these definitions your hike would be considered a Flip-Flop Thru-Hike.

Use to be the ATC website said "in one calendar year". I think the change to the definition is due to their attempt to encourage alternative hikes to decrease crowding on the trail.

Elaikases
07-20-2016, 19:32
Well the new ATC 2000 Miler application states "Section Hiker (more than 12 months).

http://appalachiantrail.org/docs/default-source/default-document-library/new-2000-miler-application-no-correspondence-v14-5.pdf?sfvrsn=2

Then there's this:
"Northbound thru-hikers walk from Springer Mountain to Katahdin in one more-or-less continuous journey."
"Flip-floppers complete the Trail in twelve months or less, but with an alternate itinerary."
"Section-hikers complete the Trail in more than 12 months, usually hiking the A.T. in multiple sections over a span of years that can range from a couple big pieces over 2 summers to many small pieces over a lifetime.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/2000-milers

Seems to me, based on these definitions your hike would be considered a Flip-Flop Thru-Hike.

Use to be the ATC website said "in one calendar year". I think the change to the definition is due to their attempt to encourage alternative hikes to decrease crowding on the trail.

Thanks. I was checking and found the following as well:

"The ATC (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/thru-section-hiking/faqs) defines a thru-hike as “a hike of the entire Appalachian Trail in 12 months or less.”"

Elaikases
07-20-2016, 19:34
Not sure where you get the three + three + three part? Since most thru hikers take 6 months (or less) - would being able to do it in 6 months remove the need for the "credential maintenance"?

I can hike 3-4 months, have to let my wife take 3 months off and then can hike 3-4 months with her again. So we can hike 3-4 months, then she has to take three months off, then I can do three more. So 3-4 months hiking, 3 months off, then three more months = 9 months and trying to not have part of the trail closed while I'm trying to hike it.

I really enjoy hiking with her, so I'd rather not hike without her.

Slo-go'en
07-20-2016, 20:13
Basically, with those constrains you have two choices.
1) Take the winter off, Dec/Jan/Feb. Northern section in Sept/Oct/Nov and the southern section in March/April/May
or
2) Take the summer off, June/July/August. You still do the southern half in March/April/May and the northern half in Sept/Oct/Nov.

All in all, it's a toss up which way to go. It all depends on which block of time works best for you. Given the choice, I'd go with taking the summer off. It would be easier to stay active in the summer so your still in decent shape when going back to Maine.