PDA

View Full Version : NOBO Weather conditions for September-November

lilgodwin
07-18-2016, 22:46
Planning to start in late August, I'm starting to research weather conditions that I should be expecting.

Does anyone have helpful information/opinions on what I can expect for those couple months going NOBO from Springer?

I'm primarily looking for information that will help me pack my clothes. I plan on the normal hiking clothes (lightweight shirts/pants) and some standard rain gear. But should I be expecting more heat, cooler temps, both? Tons of rain?

What about the current/expected water supplies? Should I plan to carry an extra liter or two?

I'm 27, 5'10", 185lbs. From Florida, so I'd say I'm used to heat and humidity and it doesn't bother me much, but I actually like the cool, and prefer to sleep cool. Hopefully that helps you help me a little.

Dan Roper
07-18-2016, 22:59
The weather is impossibly variable that time of year to give anything but the most general advice. Here's an example. On September 1, 2012, I was section hiking through the Smokies. When I reached Clingman's Dome it was mild (low 60s) with a breeze. I was sweaty. Exactly a month later, on October 1, I was back at Clingman's Dome. It was 37, the wind was blowing 40 miles an hour, and there was rime ice on the trees.

August, September and even early October can be very warm at lower elevations...or it can be quite cool. But usually it won't be frigid. Early in that period, most of the rain you encounter will be summer thunderstorms. Later in September and October there is a chance of cold fronts with colder rain. But most of the time the weather is nice in Sept. and Oct. By November all bets are off in the high country. It can be very cold and very wet or both. Or it can be nice. But don't count on the nice.

Your biggest hurdle is usually water. By August, Sept., Oct., many water sources are dry. Carry three quarts, know where likely resupply points are, talk to other hikers, and read the trail journals.

But at your age and size, you'll probably really enjoy the conditions in our southern mountains that time of year. Have fun.

MtDoraDave
07-19-2016, 04:09
Perhaps a flip flop?
I seem to remember reading the northern end closing down in October due to weather conditions.

MtDoraDave
07-19-2016, 04:12
...I assumed "NOBO" implied a thru hike.

egilbe
07-19-2016, 06:27
Hot at lower elevations early in your hike. Can be snow in higher elevations later in your hike.

map man
07-19-2016, 08:04
According to the Climatic Atlas of the United States September, October and November are the three months with the least amount of precipitation in the southern Appalachians, so in a typical year you will get less rain than hiking any other time of the year. I am assuming you are not doing a full thru-hike but will be on the southern half of the trail only.

moldy
07-19-2016, 08:18
I do a month or more hike in this area every year and the weather is almost always fantastic. The days are sometimes too warm at lower altitudes but sleeping is great. It drys up on some years and there is as odd hurricane that causes trouble. Expect awesome weather.

lilgodwin
07-19-2016, 10:21
...I assumed "NOBO" implied a thru hike.
Not completely, but a large section. Looking to do anywhere from 1/3 - 1/2 of the AT around those months.

lilgodwin
07-19-2016, 10:22
According to the Climatic Atlas of the United States September, October and November are the three months with the least amount of precipitation in the southern Appalachians, so in a typical year you will get less rain than hiking any other time of the year. I am assuming you are not doing a full thru-hike but will be on the southern half of the trail only.
Bingo! Awesome, thank you!

Engine
07-19-2016, 10:30
Mid to late October in the southern Appalachians can be amazing...but it can turn nasty overnight, so you may want to throw in a mail drop with some warmer gear at some point.

Secondmouse
07-19-2016, 11:01
the weather from September to November, along with increased elevation, is too transitional to plan your clothing for the entire walk. plus, you'll be moving north through a couple of temperate zones. plan to change out you gear at least once, possibly twice in that time.

south of the Smokies, the average September weather resembles deep summer through to October and from then on, it can quite unexpectedly become winter weather for days at a time. it will be more severe at elevation.

once November hits, you could still have occasional warm/balmy days with cool nights, but I'd be prepared for full-on winter...

lilgodwin
07-19-2016, 13:14
Interesting. If I could manage the room, would a simple pair of longjohns be a good way to go? I'd rather not plan a mail drop, and incorrectly so, for warmer clothes.

Hikingjim
07-19-2016, 15:08
if you keep an eye on long-term forecasts, etc, then you can add some warmer gear later.
You will eventually run into some colder temps later in your hike where you'll need a good sleeping bag (possibly 20 degree?) and probably a light puffy jacket, hat/gloves etc.
You could bring that stuff, or just get it at some retailer as you pass. You could also pack a lighter sleeping bag or quilt and then add a liner later.

you're more likely to start running into cold when you hit elevations in October like roan mountain or the thomas knob area. The elevation decreases a bit after that for a long ways, but you'll start getting the shorter days and cold nights in november

you'll get some late summer heat waves, but shouldn't be an issue.

egilbe
07-19-2016, 15:18
Interesting. If I could manage the room, would a simple pair of longjohns be a good way to go? I'd rather not plan a mail drop, and incorrectly so, for warmer clothes.

Should plan on sleeping in base layers in September or October.

lilgodwin
07-19-2016, 16:18
Nice, so this should be a well rounded experience of various weather conditions. Hope for the best and expect the worst I suppose!

Venchka
07-19-2016, 19:35
I have photographic proof of snow in the North Carolina high country well north of the Smokies at 3,300+ feet on Halloween.
Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."