PDA

View Full Version : Utlitiy of the Windshell? Do I Need One in the Mountains?

Rybir
07-19-2016, 10:02
I just bought a Feathered Friends Jackorack marked down from $154 to $77 on their site. Good sizes available.

I am doing a Sep. to Oct hike of the Sierras and Klamaths. My instinct is a windshell with the right layering can really be comfortable and useful. Am I wrong in thinking this? Should I just only carry a rainsuit and a solid 800 fill down jacket?

Thank you!

Slo-go'en
07-19-2016, 10:29
A windshell can be anything which blocks the wind, often it is also your rain jacket. It should be a breathable type so you don't build up too much sweat inside. If you don't expect it to rain, an uncoated nylon jacket can be enough protection and lighter then a rain jacket.

I would never hike wearing a down jacket. That's for when your at camp or resting. So long as your moving, a shell and some light layers is all you need.

Rybir
07-19-2016, 12:26
A windshell can be anything which blocks the wind, often it is also your rain jacket. It should be a breathable type so you don't build up too much sweat inside. If you don't expect it to rain, an uncoated nylon jacket can be enough protection and lighter then a rain jacket.

I would never hike wearing a down jacket. That's for when your at camp or resting. So long as your moving, a shell and some light layers is all you need.\

Thank you. Good to know. Guess I got to figure out precip. levels in Sierra and Klamath.

rocketsocks
07-19-2016, 12:46
I just bought a Feathered Friends Jackorack marked down from $154 to $77 on their site. Good sizes available.

I am doing a Sep. to Oct hike of the Sierras and Klamaths. My instinct is a windshell with the right layering can really be comfortable and useful. Am I wrong in thinking this? Should I just only carry a rainsuit and a solid 800 fill down jacket?

Thank you!
I'd say it's in addition to, not in loo of. But that's me.

Rybir
07-19-2016, 12:47
I'd say it's in addition to, not in loo of. But that's me.

Yeah, for 4 oz and the price it seems like a good thing to have for versatility.

rocketsocks
07-19-2016, 12:59
Sorry, should have added I know nothing about the Klamaths...other than its up there, windy, and prolly kinda cold in Oct.

Rybir
07-19-2016, 13:06
Sorry, should have added I know nothing about the Klamaths...other than its up there, windy, and prolly kinda cold in Oct.

Yeah, just found out that it can be very wet too.

Studlintsean
07-19-2016, 22:14
I have also never been there (so I could be wrong) but I would guess you will want the light jacket AND a down jacket for camp. Hopefully someone who has hiked in that area will comment but that is what I would plan on bringing (and probably a real rain jacket).

saltysack
07-20-2016, 07:09
As a small wt penalty a good wind jacket is a versatile LAYER.....in the Sierra you have a pretty fair chance for snow at elevation in late Sept.....personally I almost always carry these three layers....except for dead of summer in southeast....
Patagonia Houdini
OR Helium 2
Montbell UL down parka

With all three I'm good to near 0*..... Granted I've never hiked in the down parka....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rybir
07-20-2016, 12:28
As a small wt penalty a good wind jacket is a versatile LAYER.....in the Sierra you have a pretty fair chance for snow at elevation in late Sept.....personally I almost always carry these three layers....except for dead of summer in southeast....
Patagonia Houdini
OR Helium 2
Montbell UL down parka

With all three I'm good to near 0*..... Granted I've never hiked in the down parka....

This sounds like a good setup. I really want to be comfortable and ready for whatever. I've been looking at that Montbell jacket, seems awesome. Versatility would really be best for me considering I have almost zero experience in mountains.

Just Bill
07-20-2016, 15:09
This sounds like a good setup. I really want to be comfortable and ready for whatever. I've been looking at that Montbell jacket, seems awesome. Versatility would really be best for me considering I have almost zero experience in mountains.

Rain Jacket or Windshell isn't so much either/or, but when.
I own two houdini's (large and XL) and a Patagonia M10 (WPB shell)
Summer I wear the Large Houdini.
Shoulder seasons I wear the XL Houdini to allow more layers.
When it is cool enough I won't sweat it out- I switch to the M10 (car camping or winter)

I think what Saltysack is pointing out... two common choices of clothing (regardless of rain shell) are a button up shirt of some sort, or a windshell. Sun, wind, light rain.
If there is some more bushwhacking or prolonged sun exposure... then a button up tends to be more durable, comfier and better UPF. Otherwise a windshell can serve as this layer- even if the rain coat is along as well.

So all that said- You already own a rainshell... so bring that.
I am a Chicagoan who laughs at Floridians who put on jackets and pants at 60 degrees.
You are a Floridian who likely would call 911 if you saw me sweating to death in Florida at 85*.

The worst that will happen is you will find yourself a bit damp if you have to hike in your WPB shell, but more likely than not you will be chillier than a Northerner would and be okay with the rain shell.

Keep your eye on the Patagonia sales and clearances and pick up a Houdini for $50 when you get a chance(or similar windshell)- you could make good use of it year round when a deal comes up... but not critical for this trip.

CalebJ
07-20-2016, 15:28
The Houdini pullover is <$45 at REI right now.
https://www.rei.com/product/105789/patagonia-houdini-pullover-mens

peakbagger
07-20-2016, 15:53
Windshell morning on Mt Washington 7/20/16, 36 degree F this AM 23 degree windchill.

jeffmeh
07-20-2016, 15:55

No hood on that one, in case anyone cares. :)

Rybir
07-20-2016, 20:21
Windshell morning on Mt Washington 7/20/16, 36 degree F this AM 23 degree windchill.

Peakbagger....more like peakbragger! Dude, I would be so cold.

egilbe
07-20-2016, 20:27

If you're hiking, you will be warm. Its pretty amazing how much warmer one is with a windshell over a 100 wt fleece jacket. Long sleeve base layer, fleece jacket and a windshell easily takes me below zero...as long as I'm moving.

saltysack
07-20-2016, 22:18
Rain Jacket or Windshell isn't so much either/or, but when.
I own two houdini's (large and XL) and a Patagonia M10 (WPB shell)
Summer I wear the Large Houdini.
Shoulder seasons I wear the XL Houdini to allow more layers.
When it is cool enough I won't sweat it out- I switch to the M10 (car camping or winter)

I think what Saltysack is pointing out... two common choices of clothing (regardless of rain shell) are a button up shirt of some sort, or a windshell. Sun, wind, light rain.
If there is some more bushwhacking or prolonged sun exposure... then a button up tends to be more durable, comfier and better UPF. Otherwise a windshell can serve as this layer- even if the rain coat is along as well.

So all that said- You already own a rainshell... so bring that.
I am a Chicagoan who laughs at Floridians who put on jackets and pants at 60 degrees.
You are a Floridian who likely would call 911 if you saw me sweating to death in Florida at 85*.

The worst that will happen is you will find yourself a bit damp if you have to hike in your WPB shell, but more likely than not you will be chillier than a Northerner would and be okay with the rain shell.

Keep your eye on the Patagonia sales and clearances and pick up a Houdini for $50 when you get a chance(or similar windshell)- you could make good use of it year round when a deal comes up... but not critical for this trip.

You'd never know I live in this hell hole of a sauna....last sept going over silver pass @ 25* in a little snow shower I was sporting shorts with the helium 2 light wt jacket. When others as passed they asked if I was from Alaska!!![emoji23] they didn't believe I lived in Fl! They were bundled up like Eskimos....

Venchka
07-21-2016, 04:01

Maybe not. After a few days, your internal thermostat gets the hint and switches over from hot to cool. Besides, I'm guessing that as soon as the sun hits you it'll warm up. With a pack on a 100 yards on the trail and you'll warm up.
By the way, do your new jackets have pit zips? You need them.
Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."

daddytwosticks
07-21-2016, 07:17

Snagged an XL Houdini zip w/hood on an REI clearance rack for $65 back a month or so ago. :)

Rybir
07-21-2016, 10:00
Maybe not. After a few days, your internal thermostat gets the hint and switches over from hot to cool. Besides, I'm guessing that as soon as the sun hits you it'll warm up. With a pack on a 100 yards on the trail and you'll warm up.
By the way, do your new jackets have pit zips? You need them.
Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."

It does not. But some have described it as extremely breathable

peakbagger
07-21-2016, 10:02

Not bragging just injecting a little reality into the debate that even though it can be real hot and nasty one day in the whites it can be and windy a day later. Day hikers can plan on the gear for the day, but backpackers have to plan for the worse and hope for the best

Rybir
07-21-2016, 10:07
I just got a reply from trail founder of the Bigfoot Trail and he said to expect rain, snow, and beautiful days in mid Oct-November in NW Cali. Haha, perfect diversity.

Rybir
07-21-2016, 10:11
Not bragging just injecting a little reality into the debate that even though it can be real hot and nasty one day in the whites it can be and windy a day later. Day hikers can plan on the gear for the day, but backpackers have to plan for the worse and hope for the best

Oh for sure. I didn't read it that way at all. I just had to take advantage of the opportunity of wordplay