PDA

View Full Version : Yosemite Topo app

lilgodwin
07-19-2016, 14:14
I figured this kind of fit this forum section.

As the title says, I'm looking for an Android app that will work as a topographical map for Yosemite. Going on a week long trip next week and I wanted to use it as a reference. I might just but one at the local REI or elsewhere. Just like having options.

Any good ones out there? Preferably free.

KidA24
07-19-2016, 14:18
I use backcountry navigator and pre-download maps for areas, then import any GPS tracks I may want to use while on my trip. It does cost ~$10, but it's been completely worth it for my usage.

mattack
07-20-2016, 09:10
Agree with above. $10 well spent.

lilgodwin
07-20-2016, 10:43
Thanks, and thanks for backing it up.

I already have the Guthook app with all the AT sections bought and downloaded. So for Yosemite I'm actually thinking about just finding some local paper or laminated maps for fairly cheap. I know they'll probably be more or less $10, like the app, so I'm not really sure.

It's not just about the money. One thing I've mentioned in one of my threads is my desire to join the Special Forces in the near future. Knowing I'll have to become very familiar with land navigation and the use of topo maps, I figure this would be a good opportunity to begin getting familiar with them.

KidA24
07-21-2016, 09:03
Thanks, and thanks for backing it up.

I already have the Guthook app with all the AT sections bought and downloaded. So for Yosemite I'm actually thinking about just finding some local paper or laminated maps for fairly cheap. I know they'll probably be more or less $10, like the app, so I'm not really sure.

It's not just about the money. One thing I've mentioned in one of my threads is my desire to join the Special Forces in the near future. Knowing I'll have to become very familiar with land navigation and the use of topo maps, I figure this would be a good opportunity to begin getting familiar with them.

www.caltopo.com is a great resource, you can go to fedex (or anywhere else) and print your own maps - 11x17 paper fits almost perfectly when folded in half in a gallon ziplock for waterproofing too.