PDA

View Full Version : How much time to you spend on White blaze during non hiking season?

DavidNH
01-06-2006, 23:57
During the non hiking time of year (if there is such a thing) how much time do you spend browsing white blaze.. either reading, posting, or replying?

If folks reply honestly this could be kind a fun!

David

anneandbenhike
01-07-2006, 00:17
TOO MUCH! :o

Max Power
01-07-2006, 01:20
Since I am preparing to move to Fontana Village, and I am also trying to keep an informative site on the AT, I have been putting in a lot of time. I have the RSS feed which gives me all the new topics. Every-time I log in, I check all the new posts. At work when I get bored (often) I check out the site. I put in nearly an hour everyday.
Once I move up to the mountains I plan on searching through 36 different newspaper websites along the AT for up to date news on the trail. So that should give me at least another 30 minutes.
I heard Fontana only has dial up, so if that's the case I may be on twice as long... uhhh. I am hoping to get my wife involved since she will be home watching our kid.

Anumber1
01-07-2006, 03:22
Honestly about 3-5 hours every night. Even more since i've become unemployed. Last night I looked at every single picture on whiteblaze.

Lone Wolf
01-07-2006, 05:31
Way too ***ing much!:D

wacocelt
01-07-2006, 07:20
As long as my miles hiked stays ahead of my post count I'm content.

Cookerhiker
01-07-2006, 07:45
More than I should but I'm still learning from it and enjoying the viewpoints (and the personalities!) of most other WBers.

Marta
01-07-2006, 09:43
Probably an hour a day, broken into a few little sessions. But, hey, I hardly ever watch TV, so this is my awake-but-not-doing-very-much rest time every day.

Scribe
01-07-2006, 10:58
I log in about once per day - and spend maybe 1/2 hour each time.

Fiddler
01-07-2006, 11:13
I spend a total of 45 minutes to an hour mostly reading new posts, spread out over 5 or 6 log-ins each day.I'm not much of a TV watcher so this (the computer) is my connection to the outside world.

Alligator
01-07-2006, 14:01
I don't have a non-hiking season, I hike year-round.

My WB time has moved from addiction to reasonably managed with an occasional relapse;) .

Cuffs
01-07-2006, 14:33
I dont think I have the time to add up the hours! As a newbie hiker planning a thru in '07, I find myself here ALL the time! It helps to be self-employed and work from home...

I am constantly looking for the new posts, useful ideas, tips, tricks...

Keep it up!

BW2006
01-07-2006, 14:35
I'm planning a thru hike for this year and spend about an hour a day on this site. I do it in small incriments with 3-4 "visits" a day. It's very informative. I learn so much every time I log on!!! Barbie

Lilred
01-07-2006, 14:42
I probably spend at least a half-hour, up to 2-3 hours a day, depending on how much time I have. I log on to Whiteblaze at least once a day. I'm addicted. I've learned so much here, and am still learning more.

Gravy
01-07-2006, 16:29
:( Last night my asked me to turn off whiteblaze. Whoops!

Jack Tarlin
01-07-2006, 17:21
It depends how much time I spend on the silly political stuff......it has occured to me that the level of discourse here improves during non-election years!

I actually spend more of my time on private correspondence with prospective thru-hikers, which I've found very rewarding. It's great to hear from these folks later when their trip is done, and several of them are now regular contributors here, giving back to other folks what they learned out there. Everyone has something to offer here, which is one of the things that makes this site so good.

Moxie00
01-07-2006, 19:39
:sun I spend too much time, about an hour a day, but that isn't too much time to keep in touch with the many trail friends I have made, meet new friends, and renew and revive a million trail memories. Also there is no cheaper form of amusement than many of you guys, (and girls). Also it gives a simple country boy from Mount Vernon, Maine a chance to mingle and chat with the great legends of the trail.

KirkMcquest
01-07-2006, 20:56
This site has sucked me in. I've had so much fun in the past week, slinging mud back and forth with some of you nuts.

hustler
01-08-2006, 00:31
too much, I need to go hike and get off this site.

tiamalle
01-08-2006, 13:06
This site has sucked me in. I've had so much fun in the past week, slinging mud back and forth with some of you nuts.Yes
but they are all a great group:D

Green Bean
01-08-2006, 17:04
hiking season maybe for some but not for the Green Bean but im on whiteblaze whenevr i can be : ). keep it real!!

Mags
01-09-2006, 12:26
Since I don't have an internet connection at home, my WB time (and hiking forums in general) corresponds with work hours for the most part. Do my surfing on company time. :) I do peek at WB once in a while off work when I have to say, get directions via mapquest or something. (will go to library or Kinkos).

As with Alligator, try be active year round. Trail and road running during the week (slowly), Snowshoeing and backcoutnry skiing (badly) during the winter. Hiking pretty much all year. All year is one big outdoor season for me. :)

dixicritter
01-09-2006, 13:10
I'm betting I'm the most frequent non-hiker on the site...LOL.

Don't even make me try and guess how much time I spend here. Let's just say I have a cable modem and my computer never gets shut down and leave it at that.... ok?? ;)

Footslogger
01-09-2006, 13:19
A lot ...too much maybe. I have internet access at work so I generally logon in the morning and again several times throughout the day to check on new posts. I rarely check it from home. Too many other projects going on. Sometimes once or twice a day on weekends.

'Slogger

D'Artagnan
01-09-2006, 13:25
It depends on my workload at the office, but it is always the first site I check when I sign on and the last when I prepare to leave for the day.

I can't wait until Trail Days when I can put faces to some of the posters.

Newb
01-09-2006, 14:57
I check up on it 3 or 4 times a day. I especially like to see new photos that people have posted. It let's me day-dream about where I'd rather be.

Newb
01-09-2006, 14:58
It depends on my workload at the office, but it is always the first site I check when I sign on and the last when I prepare to leave for the day.

I can't wait until Trail Days when I can put faces to some of the posters.

I'll be at Trail Days with J.D. this year! :) :0
Hopefully I'll be selling a new Car-camping product I've developed. I'm negotiating with a manufacturer right now...

Lone Wolf
01-10-2006, 11:04
Now that I have Serius Radio, I can be found in front of the puter between 6am-10am while listening to Howard Stern.

Tim Rich
01-10-2006, 16:48
Not much lately, 2,359 posts since my last visit. Work's been busy, and other family and community commitments have kept me hopping. I've also just picked up another house that required me and the boys to remove three thirty yard containers of stuff, and I also replaced a good bit of siding and a deck. I just had the outside painted. I'll start on the inside with carpet and tile removal this weekend, and rolloff number four will drop on Friday.

A late Feb/early March hike is looking good about now.

Kerosene
01-10-2006, 16:58
I check in every morning, and typically 1-3 times throughout the day, although I'm increasingly just skimming through to pick out a handful of threads of interest. My wife would be the first to say that I spend too much time here.