PDA

View Full Version : Transfer from ATL airpot to Springer

ATaBoy
07-19-2016, 16:32
Is there a service that will transfer airport to Springer same day? That would allow me to get to Hawk shelter first day with just enough mileage for the day.
Alternatively is there a service that would provide a hostel on night /day of arrival from airport and then arrange a shuttle to Springer then back to hostel? That would allow me to cover Springer summit to first mile at parking lot. I don't know how far I would cover first day on trail and don't want to zig zag from parking lot up north side of Springer and then down again to parking lot at 42 to continue onward.

CalebJ
07-19-2016, 16:47
Check out the thru hiker special at Hiker Hostel:
http://hikerhostel.com/lodging/thru-hiker-special/

MuddyWaters
07-19-2016, 17:09
Making a special trip to springer to hike 1.8 mile rt to summit isnt worth doing. It would cost $$$. Get shuttled evening before and sleep at springer.then start next day.

Only limit is your wallet.

tflaris
07-19-2016, 17:14
Hiker Hostel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don H
07-19-2016, 17:36
When I started my thru I flew into Atlanta arriving at about 10am, took the MARTA train to North Springs station, then had a shuttler (Survivor Dave) drive me to FS42. I then hiked up to Springer, turned around and hiked to Stover Creek shelter (mile 5.3) all on the first day. Total miles was about 10. Hawk Mountain shelter would be another 2.5 miles.

Venchka
07-19-2016, 19:28
I certainly hope that you have the rest of the hike figured out better than your plan for getting started.
Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."

ATaBoy
07-19-2016, 19:31
was hoping to get advice-not a back of the hand. Maybe a good hearted hiker can help.

Venchka
07-19-2016, 19:41
You got good advice for Day 1, which is pretty much common knowledge at WhiteBlaze.
Have fun and a great hike.
Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."

MuddyWaters
07-19-2016, 20:10
Your questions were explicitly answered

Is there a service that will transfer airport to Springer same day? That would allow me to get to Hawk shelter first day with just enough mileage for the day.

Yes, and survivor dave was suggested. You can also check the shuttles page on ATC website, or call mountain crossings, or a guidebook. Theres probably two dozen people that will shuttle you.

Alternatively is there a service that would provide a hostel on night /day of arrival from airport and then arrange a shuttle to Springer then back to hostel?

And Hiker Hostel @ Dahlonega was suggested. Best all around . But its probably 45 min from there to springer, and then 45 min back, and they have to wait for you for an hour or more while you tag the summit...so dont expect it to be cheap . And its on top of the pickup/stay/shuttle you would already pay for, IF they would do that . All together probably $180 or so would be my guess. Which is why I say, its not worth it.

ATaBoy
07-20-2016, 07:45
Thanks-that I can regard as insightful/helpful. You can't get answers if you don't ask questions. I am tailoring my info needs at this point hence the question I submitted. If all else fails you can always figure it out on the fly I suppose.

Gambit McCrae
07-20-2016, 08:06
I suggest Ron Brown he always treated me right in GA his number can be found in my sig