07-19-2016, 22:28
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160720/a3be70165fe8e1dd60e4ee43b9e281f7.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160720/8cbf1f55329cff8a090a2609fca7b0b8.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160720/57377e6ef36ced608aae3daf5f04501d.jpg

Generic Brand (Kroger) Crunchy Peanut Butter
16oz (approx. 14 servings)
$1.99 (commonly less)
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160720/e81c24287d52228182630e4e2f504240.jpg

I've been looking around lately, trying to find some of the higher cal/oz foods, and lower cost, that I currently enjoy... or in the case of Olive Oil, would tolerate as a source of calories. I've come across these 4 foods probably more often than any other.

I'm male, 27, 5'10, 185lbs and I'm guesstimating that I'll be looking to take in about 4,000 cal/day.

Given this, if I were to eat just these 4 items throughout my 8 weeks, I've come up with these approximate numbers.

Olive oil - 17 oz, 3960 cal, $6.49
Tortillas - 26 oz, 2200 cal, $3.59
Cheese - 32 oz, 3520 cal, $7.99
P. Butter - 16 oz, 2520 cal, $1.99

Totals - 91 oz (5.6lbs), 12200 cal, $21.46 ($20.06 + 7% tax)

Given the 4000 calorie guesstimate, that's 3 days worth of food. If I foresee being away from towns for longer, I can see myself doubling up for 11.2 lbs of food. This would approximate my total food bill for the 8 weeks to $400.59.

Now that that's out of the way, in my mind a minimalistic scenario per my own desires and standards, I don't plan to follow that to a 'T'. Rather, I wanted that to be a baseline for my food funds. I do plan on those 4 items to be my primary foods. But to break the monotony, I do plan to keep a couple snacks (crunchy, candies, etc.) with me. And I figure I'd be happy to get a hefty weekly meal at a restaurant, whether it's a steak dinner, or a bunch of dollar menu burgers. So I'm calculating an extra $30/week for an estimated grand food total of $640.59 for the 8 weeks.

Looking at those foods as a basis for my nutrition for 2 months, along with everything else I've panned out here, are there any problems that I should look to fix? Calories, carbs, fat, protein, cost, weight, etc...

Willing to listen to all well thought out suggestions. Thank you all for lending your knowledge.

MuddyWaters
07-19-2016, 22:48
You wont like olive oil as a primary food.
In fact, I bet you throw it up, and throw it out.
Even an oz added to dinners, gets nauseating after a while
I once poured 8oz of it into my cathole to get rid of it.

I can always eat tortillas, peanut butter, jelly, trailmix, jerky, peanut mms, snickers, and little debbie brownies and oatmeal pies.
The little debbie oatmeal pies at Walmart, are one of the highest calorie/$ snacks you can get. a $1.89 box is 2100 cal or so if I remember correctly

I think regular oil like canola is the best. 3600 cal or so for $1.89 if I remember.
Walmart trail mix, 2.5 lb for $6 isnt bad deal either.

Venchka
07-19-2016, 23:04
Your "plan" is easily tested. Assemble your food. Give us a report in 2 months.
Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."

lilgodwin
07-19-2016, 23:34
In fact, I bet you throw it up, and throw it out.
Even an oz added to dinners, gets nauseating after a while
I once poured 8oz of it into my cathole to get rid of it.

I can always eat tortillas, peanut butter, jelly, trailmix, jerky, peanut mms, snickers, and little debbie brownies and oatmeal pies.
The little debbie oatmeal pies at Walmart, are one of the highest calorie/$ snacks you can get. a $1.89 box is 2100 cal or so if I remember correctly

I think regular oil like canola is the best. 3600 cal or so for $1.89 if I remember.
Walmart trail mix, 2.5 lb for $6 isnt bad deal either.
Thanks! Dually noted.

Venchka
07-20-2016, 00:47
You sure picked bottom of the barrel cheese. Based strictly on price? It could be a toss up between the olive oil and the cheese as to which one comes up first.
Bon appetite.

Wayne

lilgodwin
07-20-2016, 01:01
It's the Kroger brand block mild cheddar. I love cheese. Sure, I'll be mixing up the flavors a bit each time, but I don't need any fancy cheeses from Trader Joes, if that's what you're alluding to. I'll keep it cheap(ish). If I find some good options for comparable process, you bet your boots I'll pick some up.

My main purpose for picking up these particular items was to show generic prices and nutritional values for each one, as something I may pick up.

Regarding the olive oil, I do think it's something I'll only use on occasion if I feel I need extra calories to get through the day. I don't plan to make it a habit of downing the bottle in a couple days time.

Maydog
07-20-2016, 03:29
The Kroger/Publix/etc. brand cheeses are fine compared to the name brand (Kraft, etc.). You'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference. If I had to guess, the only difference is the wrapper. All your plans are just fine calorie-wise, but they are deficient nutrition-wise. Your body needs nutrients as well as calories. Invest in a daily multiple vitamin-mineral. The Kroger brand is fine and the cost will be less than 10 cents per day...probably less than a nickel. When you eat in town, eat as many vegetables as you can to increase your vitamin intake. Fast-food burgers are tasty and loaded with calories, but not much in the way of nutrition.

saltysack
07-20-2016, 06:59
It's the Kroger brand block mild cheddar. I love cheese. Sure, I'll be mixing up the flavors a bit each time, but I don't need any fancy cheeses from Trader Joes, if that's what you're alluding to. I'll keep it cheap(ish). If I find some good options for comparable process, you bet your boots I'll pick some up.

My main purpose for picking up these particular items was to show generic prices and nutritional values for each one, as something I may pick up.

Regarding the olive oil, I do think it's something I'll only use on occasion if I feel I need extra calories to get through the day. I don't plan to make it a habit of downing the bottle in a couple days time.

Try Cabot seriously sharp cheddar...can often find on sale for 2 for $5.00..... I can't imagine trying to eat the same crap for several months...I even got sick of peanut butter/Nutella on tortilla after 6 days on the Jmt.....you WILL crave and want something different......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeffmeh
07-20-2016, 07:01
In which state are you taxed 7% on groceries?

garlic08
07-20-2016, 07:43
I think you're probably real close on calorie expectations and the need for town meals. Of course, your hiking pace, packed load and weather will partially dictate your daily calorie needs.

Ditto the above about olive oil and large amounts of cheap cheese. A palatable substitute for me is tree nuts--cashews and walnuts are available at all grocery stores.

Slightly better food will increase your budget. You won't always get good prices or be able to shop around. My AT hike cost me about $8/day for trail food (average pace 20 miles per day), and nearly that much again for town food. And I was budget-conscious--my hiking partner spent roughly twice that. He bought more packaged food, more high-quality stuff (I'd get store brand stuff in large packages), and spent more in restaurants. Neither of us habitually drank alcohol, maybe a beer on a zero day, certainly a Guinness at the Inn at Long Trail. Bar tabs can really add to your cost.

JC13
07-20-2016, 08:27
Just going to throw this out here. I normally eat 3810 calories a day, so for our 10 day section I planned on ~4200 calories. What I didn't take into account was the fact that this time of year is ridiculously hot and I might not want to eat all the stuff I brought. I expected to be able to consume 4200 easily but the heat made me realistically eat only 3800 at the beginning. I ended up dropping down to 2660 after the mice pilfered my almonds. That said, as long as I had electrolytes, I had no issues with hunger.

I did eat well on our nearo into Hiawassee. Fajitas for lunch and a 14oz ribeye for dinner.

Since you didn't mention when you were looking at doing your hike, in the heat, I found that having ~750 drinkable calories for breakfast and dinner was really helpful to get calories in even though I sometimes did not want to eat.

egilbe
07-20-2016, 09:15
3800 daily calories is a lot, if you arent hiking.

lilgodwin
07-20-2016, 10:38
... All your plans are just fine calorie-wise, but they are deficient nutrition-wise. Your body needs nutrients as well as calories. Invest in a daily multiple vitamin-mineral...

I actually meant to put that out there add something I planned on doing but had questions about it. I definitely will do something line a Men's One-A-Day. But I've been seeing others mention things longer maltodextrin.

So, I'll ask it now: Are there any particular vitamins/supplements that I should consider taking while out there for those 2 months?

In which state are you taxed 7% on groceries?
I was thinking about just tax on general. Rounded up Florida's 6.5% non-grocery tax to be safe. I actually don't know which states, if any, charge taxes on good. I don't pay attention to that stuff because I really don't care.

I think you're probably real close on calorie expectations and the need for town meals...

Ditto the above about olive oil and large amounts of cheap cheese. A palatable substitute for me is tree nuts--cashews and walnuts are available at all grocery stores.

Slightly better food will increase your budget. You won't always get good prices or be able to shop around. My AT hike cost me about $8/day for trail food (average pace 20 miles per day), and nearly that much again for town food. And I was budget-conscious--my hiking partner spent roughly twice that. He bought more packaged food, more high-quality stuff (I'd get store brand stuff in large packages), and spent more in restaurants. Neither of us habitually drank alcohol, maybe a beer on a zero day, certainly a Guinness at the Inn at Long Trail. Bar tabs can really add to your cost.

Great input, thank you!

Just going to throw this out here. I normally eat 3810 calories a day, so for our 10 day section I planned on ~4200 calories. What I didn't take into account was the fact that this time of year is ridiculously hot and I might not want to eat all the stuff I brought. I expected to be able to consume 4200 easily but the heat made me realistically eat only 3800 at the beginning. I ended up dropping down to 2660 after the mice pilfered my almonds. That said, as long as I had electrolytes, I had no issues with hunger.

I did eat well on our nearo into Hiawassee. Fajitas for lunch and a 14oz ribeye for dinner.

Since you didn't mention when you were looking at doing your hike, in the heat, I found that having ~750 drinkable calories for breakfast and dinner was really helpful to get calories in even though I sometimes did not want to eat.

Good to know your experience, thanks. I thought I mentioned it but I'm planning a NOBO from Springer September 1st til sometime in early November.

I'll look into electrolyte sources and calorie heavy drink/mixes.

Puddlefish
07-20-2016, 11:48
- I had no problem adding an ounce of olive oil to trail meals. Barely notice it in the dehydrated rice, potatoes, pasta, etc.
- Single peanut butter packages were good. Small jars of peanut butter were good on occasion once the hiker hunger kicked in. Best with crackers or tortillas to blunt the rich flavor.
- I never finished a whole package of tortillas, I got sick of single filling tortillas really quickly. Can also fill them with tuna, cheese of any kind, summer sausage, pepperoni, salami, etc. All those ingredients can also be tossed into the rice, pasta, potato meals.
- The yellowfin tuna pouch in oil has more calories than the other flavors.

You really need to adapt to what's available on the trail, and what you can stand eating. I do not recommend testing a trail diet in advance, as you'll quickly get fat and pay for it at the start of your hike.

Guzzle chocolate milk as you pass through towns instead of soda.

Slo-go'en
07-20-2016, 11:55
Peanut butter, cheese and tortillas are fine for lunch, but what are you going to do for breakfast and dinner? If that's all you eat, your gonna get sick of it really quick.

Hiking in Sept and Nov? Your gonna want some hot food too. Hot chocolate and/or tea bags for a hot drink is good to have too.

I'm not a big fan of oatmeal or other wallpaper paste like breakfast stuff, so I typically eat a glazed honey bun, Apple pie or Pop Tarts for breakfast (500, 600 calories of pure sugar) and wash it down with a caffeinated Crystal lite drink mix. I also don't like to cook in the morning as it slows me down too much. And in the fall when the days are getting shorter, you don't want to waste too much daylight.

Lunch is snacks, mostly Freto Corn chips (lots of salt and fat along with potassium) and nuts (trail mix). I'll occasionally get a block of cheese and hard salami too. Instant mashed potato's makes for a good lunch too if you have time to boil up some water. Maybe some chocolate, but I typically don't do candy bars. I'll have a couple in the food bag just in case I need some quick energy at the end of the day to make the last few miles to camp. Same goes for "power" or granola bars. Propel for electrolytes.

Supper is a Knorr pasta side, typically with the cheese sauce (I don't like the rice) and a package of tuna for the protein. A few cookies or some chocolate for a sweet desert.

I also like Spam burgers (Spam single with cheese and ketchup on a bagel roll, it helps if you can fry up the spam a little).

The above is a fairly typical thru hiker diet. Keep in mind that you can probably stand to loose some weight and won't be overly hungry for the first couple of weeks. Most people find they have too much food to start.

Slo-go'en
07-20-2016, 11:59
Guzzle chocolate milk as you pass through towns instead of soda.

Oh yea, first thing I do when I hit town is find a quart of chocolate milk to pound down. That's the only way I can drink a large quantity of milk all at once. Then eat a quart of ice cream :)

DLP
07-20-2016, 11:59
In fact, I bet you throw it up, and throw it out. Or it will give you diarrhea. I'm not sure of the "dosage" to bring on the runs... 1 oz? 2oz? Probably depends on individual GI tracks.

You may want to experiment with some heavy exercise and this diet at home and see how 1/3-1/2 cup of olive oil a day, straight from the bottle agrees with you.

Puddlefish
07-20-2016, 12:09
Let me second the Fritos, and the cheesy Knorr sides. Nothing quite like a cheesy Knorr rice side with tuna, pepperoni and Fritos. It sounds kind of terrible when you're sitting at home, but on the trail you dread the idea of choking down a flavorless Knorr side by itself.

lilgodwin
07-20-2016, 12:11
I thought it was implied, but I never outright said it. I'm planning on going cookless [emoji1]

Puddlefish
07-20-2016, 12:25
I thought it was implied, but I never outright said it. I'm planning on going cookless [emoji1]

Go with Doctor Kracker seed crackers if you can find them. You'll be craving something with texture, and these are quite healthy. Nuts are easier than nut butters to eat as you're moving. I bought the cost effective larger cans of cashews, almonds and peanuts, and portioned them out into plastic bags. Same with dark chocolate chips, which will bag well since it will be cooler during your hike. Kind bars, while expensive made me feel like I was eating real food instead of compressed oatmeal pellets (Cliff bars.)

lilgodwin
07-20-2016, 12:27
...Can also fill them with tuna, cheese of any kind, summer sausage, pepperoni, salami, etc. All those ingredients can also be tossed into the rice, pasta, potato meals...The yellowfin tuna pouch in oil has more calories than the other flavors...You really need to adapt to what's available on the trail, and what you can stand eating... Guzzle chocolate milk as you pass through towns instead of soda.

Different filings to break the monotony will definitely be happening. Thanks!

Peanut butter, cheese and tortillas are fine for lunch, but what are you going to do for breakfast and dinner? If that's all you eat, your gonna get sick of it really quick...Hiking in Sept and Nov? Your gonna want some hot food too. Hot chocolate and/or tea bags for a hot drink is good to have too...The above is a fairly typical thru hiker diet. Keep in mind that you can probably stand to loose some weight and won't be overly hungry for the first couple of weeks. Most people find they have too much food to start.

Like I said before, just a base of my foods, not my sole source. I'm going cookless. And thanks for the tips.

Oh yea, first thing I do when I hit town is find a quart of chocolate milk to pound down. That's the only way I can drink a large quantity of milk all at once. Then eat a quart of ice cream :)

Good to know. And I've already decided to down a 1/2 - 1 gallon of ice cream from time to time. I love the stuff. I'm that guy. Especially for the right brand (ie. Blue Bell) though I'm not really picky.

lilgodwin
07-20-2016, 12:31
Go with Doctor Kracker seed crackers if you can find them. You'll be craving something with texture, and these are quite healthy. Nuts are easier than nut butters to eat as you're moving. I bought the cost effective larger cans of cashews, almonds and peanuts, and portioned them out into plastic bags. Same with dark chocolate chips, which will bag well since it will be cooler during your hike. Kind bars, while expensive made me feel like I was eating real food instead of compressed oatmeal pellets (Cliff bars.)
Great stuff, thanks!

Lnj
07-20-2016, 13:09
The first day or two... or 3... you probably won't want to eat at all. The exercise takes your appetite completely. Be sure to have some form of liquid calories (Malto or the like) to force the fuel in on those first few days or week.

CalebJ
07-20-2016, 13:17
The first day or two... or 3... you probably won't want to eat at all. The exercise takes your appetite completely.

I've seen many people reference this fact, but never experienced it or noticed it with others I've backpacked with. Just another data point to consider.

Hikingjim
07-20-2016, 15:29
wraps, cheese, pb are a good start. Certain hard cheeses last a lot longer. Some get runny pretty fast and look/taste pretty disgusting.
I just throw in whatever nuts/dried fruit/bars are cheap and look good
For 3-4 days (a typical run between supply) it hardly makes a difference to me if I have 200g more in my pack because my food is actually good

I do other cooked stuff, but it's personal preference and makes little nutritional difference

Maydog
07-20-2016, 16:18
Regarding multivitamins, I like the store-brand Flintstone chewables. The store brand is less expensive and has the same nutritional makeup as the Flintstone brand. And since they are chewable, you get better absorption. I never, ever buy name brand vitamins or megadose vitamins. A little extra nutritional boost is all you need, and you can get enough to hike the entire trail for under $12 probably. If they upset your stomach, just take them after or during a meal.

RockDoc
07-20-2016, 16:51
I suggest you look for better quality, less processed foods that contain less or no white flour, sugar, and seed oils. That is not nutrition, it is sugar and man-made toxic substances.
I think you are smart to take EV olive oil, but you need to plan how to use it; use carb choices like rice as fat-delivery devices for the olive oil.
You are young and can maybe do OK on a high carb sugar-burner diet. But eventually it will bite you. Most older people don't do so well on it because blood sugar control goes haywire.

lilgodwin
07-20-2016, 17:36
I suggest you look for better quality, less processed foods that contain less or no white flour, sugar, and seed oils. That is not nutrition, it is sugar and man-made toxic substances.
I think you are smart to take EV olive oil, but you need to plan how to use it; use carb choices like rice as fat-delivery devices for the olive oil.
You are young and can maybe do OK on a high carb sugar-burner diet. But eventually it will bite you. Most older people don't do so well on it because blood sugar control goes haywire.

You bring up a few things that aren't typically hit on, so thank you. Sounds like you have a pretty good clue as to what you're talking about. Could you go into a little more depth as to what you'd remove, replace, change and add fort the trip?

Venchka
07-20-2016, 19:49
Compare and contrast. Your early list versus this system.

http://www.theyummylife.com/Backpacking_Food

Wayne

Slo-go'en
07-20-2016, 21:08
I ate nothing but PB+J sandwiches, GORP and Snickers Bars for a good 500 miles once. The up side was these ingredients could be found at any gas station convenience store. The down side was GORP wasn't all that appealing for breakfast and in the morning it felt like pooping bricks (TMI?)

PB+J is still a good dinner option, but I'd do something else for breakfast and lunch these days. If you want to keep costs down, you have to learn to use what you can find in the Dollar General (primarily providers of cheap sugary snacks). The selection is basic, but doable.

egilbe
07-20-2016, 21:34
Dollar general seems made for a hikers resupply. Its the only place ive found single serving foil spam packets.

misprof
07-20-2016, 22:09
Just wondering if you calculated the amount of protein you would be getting, for your 4000 calories? If you figure as an endurance athlete you will be needing around 1.2g or more of protein per kg of body weight. Will this diet give you enough? Also I did not see where any of your choices were a source of potassium or magnesium. If your vitamin tablets don't have them you will need to look for sources for your muscles to function properly. Report back how it goes.

egilbe
07-20-2016, 22:15
Just wondering if you calculated the amount of protein you would be getting, for your 4000 calories? If you figure as an endurance athlete you will be needing around 1.2g or more of protein per kg of body weight. Will this diet give you enough? Also I did not see where any of your choices were a source of potassium or magnesium. If your vitamin tablets don't have them you will need to look for sources for your muscles to function properly. Report back how it goes.

Potassium from dehydrated potatoes and powdered Nido? Magnesium from sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, almonds, dried banana chips, dark chocolate. All hiker staples.

Venchka
07-21-2016, 03:39

Forget counting calories. Try getting that much protein per day.
I just got back from my kitchen. I can put together the dry ingredients for a drink with 27 grams of protein. My skinny self would need 3 of those protein shakes per day. Hmmmm...
My food bag for a week is getting interesting.
Thanks misprof.
Wayne

egilbe
07-21-2016, 05:50
I would need 100 grams of protein a day...thats a lot.

or maybe not...thats two whole eggs

saltysack
07-21-2016, 06:41
Different filings to break the monotony will definitely be happening. Thanks!

Like I said before, just a base of my foods, not my sole source. I'm going cookless. And thanks for the tips.

Good to know. And I've already decided to down a 1/2 - 1 gallon of ice cream from time to time. I love the stuff. I'm that guy. Especially for the right brand (ie. Blue Bell) though I'm not really picky.

Have you tried eating cold food day after day during colder weather...you'll end up with a stove....I did it for 6 days....not for me

egilbe
07-21-2016, 08:27
I like my hot coffee in the morning.

egilbe
07-21-2016, 08:28
Compare and contrast. Your early list versus this system.

http://www.theyummylife.com/Backpacking_Food

Wayne

thanks for the link. It has me rethinking my menu...at least for breakfast.

Venchka
07-21-2016, 09:05
You're welcome. Thank you for this thread. I'm rethinking my food.
Wayne

Puddlefish
07-21-2016, 10:38
Chia pudding is good for magnesium. Chia seeds, milk powder, whey protien powder in a bag, add water, let it firm up, cut/tear a corner of the bag and slurp. Dried fruit is expensive, but delicious and nutritious. Even better, bring fresh fruit on the trail when you leave every town. The weight won't last long because you'll be eating it really quickly.

la.lindsey
07-21-2016, 11:06
Chia pudding is good for magnesium. Chia seeds, milk powder, whey protien powder in a bag, add water, let it firm up, cut/tear a corner of the bag and slurp. Dried fruit is expensive, but delicious and nutritious. Even better, bring fresh fruit on the trail when you leave every town. The weight won't last long because you'll be eating it really quickly.

I've always wondered- if you eat an apple or banana, do you pack out the core and peel? Or toss it deep in the woods? I encountered someone's tangerine peel all down the trail once and wasn't overly pleased by it.

And, I'm assuming Nido/ milk powder is probably not a great option for someone who may not handle milk products well, yes? Can anyone weigh (whey, heh) in?

CalebJ
07-21-2016, 11:15
I've always wondered- if you eat an apple or banana, do you pack out the core and peel? Or toss it deep in the woods? I encountered someone's tangerine peel all down the trail once and wasn't overly pleased by it.

And, I'm assuming Nido/ milk powder is probably not a great option for someone who may not handle milk products well, yes? Can anyone weigh (whey, heh) in?

Yes, fruit cores/peels should definitely be packed out.
Yes, avoid powdered milk if you have milk issues.

saltysack
07-21-2016, 11:33

If most folks won't pack out there shi$ tickets it's highly unlikely they will pack out an apple core etc....I don't see an issue with burying fruit remnants..sure they decompose slowly but so what...

FreeGoldRush
07-21-2016, 13:18
If most folks won't pack out there shi$ tickets it's highly unlikely they will pack out an apple core etc....I don't see an issue with burying fruit remnants..sure they decompose slowly but so what...

Ironically, those decomposing fruit peels add nutrients to the soil and create more top soil. I think the issue is simply with them being unsightly from the trail. Burying them sounds like a perfect solution.

Tipi Walter
07-21-2016, 13:26
Yes, fruit cores/peels should definitely be packed out.

I always toss my apples and peelings and bury my avocado skins and pits etc. Remember, old apple orchards are thruout the Southeast mountains. Why carry out your apple cores?

CalebJ
07-21-2016, 14:19
I always toss my apples and peelings and bury my avocado skins and pits etc. Remember, old apple orchards are thruout the Southeast mountains. Why carry out your apple cores?
Clarification is in order. If you're actually going to bury it or toss it well away from the trail, I have no problem with it whatsoever. My concern is leaving it anywhere it's visible and/or attracts wildlife to existing campsites.

egilbe
07-21-2016, 15:08
Citrus peelings last quite awhile. They dont redily decompose due to the oils in the peels.

ChuckT
07-21-2016, 16:52
Why carry out apple cores? I think those apples varieties are farmed to not sprout.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

egilbe
07-21-2016, 16:57
Why carry out apple cores? I think those apples varieties are farmed to not sprout.

It teaches animals to equate people with food if your trash is left in the woods.

ChuckT
07-21-2016, 17:05
Hmm I didn't phrase that well. I wasn't justifying leaving trash on the AT, just the opposite, and some people are just pigs.

gbolt
07-21-2016, 19:10
I watched a vlog by Darwin and just took one of his suggestions. One night was the regular $5 smaller Mtn House Beef Stew. The next night I went with the $1 Knorr Teriyaki Noodles with a $1 Foil Pack of Tuna in the ever important Oil. Now I hate Tuna, sworn to my mother that when I grew up I would never eat it or force my kids to eat it either. Lol. But that $2 Meal was assume. Not to mention more calories than the Mtn House meal. Now I am looking for all the other combinations and occassional foil chicken to help me fight guilty tuna feelings.

Dogwood
07-21-2016, 19:48

This. I'm not carrying out apple cores, onion/garlic skins, banana peels, citrus, avocado shells/pits, etc either but I'm not not leaving it where it's likely anyone will see it either which is often the case because I'm not normally camping where others are at established campsites.

Clarification is in order. If you're actually going to bury it or toss it well away from the trail, I have no problem with it whatsoever. My concern is leaving it anywhere it's visible and/or attracts wildlife to existing campsites.

Citrus peelings last quite awhile. They dont redily decompose due to the oils in the peels.

Deadeye
07-21-2016, 19:57
I didn't bother reading all the replies, so I'm sure I'm not the first to tell you that American "cheese" isn't cheese. They call it pasteurized cheese food product, which ain't real cheese.

Skip the calculations and preparations, just buy lots of food you like as you go, and eat. If you stick to 4 foods for 8 weeks, you'll toss a lot of. You'll need some variety.

lilgodwin
07-21-2016, 20:30
I didn't bother reading all the replies, so I'm sure I'm not the first to tell you that American "cheese" isn't cheese. They call it pasteurized cheese food product, which ain't real cheese.

Skip the calculations and preparations, just buy lots of food you like as you go, and eat. If you stick to 4 foods for 8 weeks, you'll toss a lot of. You'll need some variety.
There just happened to be american cheese in the life. The picture/price is of a generic block of cheddar.

lilgodwin
07-22-2016, 01:42
There just happened to be american cheese in the life. The picture/price is of a generic block of cheddar.
Pic*... not "life" [emoji1]

Lnj
07-22-2016, 12:50
Stupid question alert..... What is GORP?

Deadeye
07-22-2016, 13:20
Good Ol' Raisins & Peanuts

Lnj
07-22-2016, 18:19
OOOHHH!!!!! Lol! Thanks.

egilbe
07-22-2016, 18:27
Good Ol' Raisins & Peanuts

Add other dried fruit, Granola, other nuts and chocolate and its a well rounded meal.

Venchka
07-22-2016, 21:09
Stupid question alert..... What is GORP?
You must have missed the 60s & 70s.
Someway. Somehow. Trail Mix replaced GORP. Same stuff. Different name.
Wayne

Bronk
07-23-2016, 10:52
Walmart sells these little pecan pies in their bakery section...50 cents and about 500 calories.

lilgodwin
07-23-2016, 16:31
Just thought about this. But some stores (ie. Ralph's & Navy Commissary) have a kiosk with a bunch of compartmentalized candies and nuts so you can fill a bag with whatever you want for quite cheap.

Anyone know of any stores like that along/near the trail in some of the towns?

Along the same lines. Any known military bases inline with the southern half of the trail?

swjohnsey
07-23-2016, 16:40
West Point is the only one I can think of.

egilbe
07-23-2016, 17:01
Hawk mountain. Rangers train there.

ChuckT
07-23-2016, 17:27
I try to stay far away from those open container. Little "cherubs" reaching in to grab, and just when did they wash their hands?
Ugh.

Venchka
07-23-2016, 18:27
Earth Fare, The Fresh Market, Harris Teeter, Whole Foods, etc. have bulk food sections. They all have web pages with store finder features. No clue about prices.
Good luck.
Wayne

saltysack
07-23-2016, 22:24
I try to stay far away from those open container. Little "cherubs" reaching in to grab, and just when did they wash their hands?
Ugh.

Seen it to many times.....another reason I never eat buffets....

Sarcasm the elf
07-24-2016, 01:38
I've seen many people reference this fact, but never experienced it or noticed it with others I've backpacked with. Just another data point to consider.

Appetite loss happens to me frequently (but not always) during the first three days on trail. It makes food planning for section hikes a real pain. As you pointed out, it certainly doesn't happen to everyone.

Sarcasm the elf
07-24-2016, 01:39
You must have missed the 60s & 70s.
Someway. Somehow. Trail Mix replaced GORP. Same stuff. Different name.
Wayne

More chocolate in it now, sometimes progress is a good thing.:cool:

Sarcasm the elf
07-24-2016, 01:49

Have you tried powdered goat's milk? It's what I use on trail and is often used as a milk replacement for people who have issues with cow's milk.