PDA

View Full Version : hundred mile wilderness spring

Smooth & Wasabi
07-19-2016, 23:32
Hi everyone. I was hoping someone could chime in with some help clarifying an old memory. Hiking north from monson back in 99 I remember coming across one of the most picturesque springs I've seen. It was on the right(northbound) just off the trail. A small clear basin lined with pebbles flowing from the ground. I think it was on a ridge or high point. Unfortunately that is as much as I remember and I would love to return some time. Thanks.

Heliotrope
07-20-2016, 00:33
One that fits your description is Potowadjo. But it is not on a ridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rafe
07-20-2016, 06:54
Well, that's a hundred miles worth of springs so I have no idea which of them you might be thinking of.

In 2010 at least, there was no water to be had at Chairback Gap lean-to, so hikers got to know about a very precious spring 1.7 miles south of there, further up the ridge. Not much to look at, but it was a life saver while traversing the Chairback ridge, in either direction.

I think the hikers I met there that morning may have used it as a campsite.

peakbagger
07-20-2016, 08:15
I agree with the second poster. It sounds like Potaywadjo Spring between Lower JoMary and Pemadumcock Lake. It is coming down off a saddle on Potaywadjo Ridge but is definitely in the woods. It just springs up out of the ground with a stream running out of it.

Scrum
07-20-2016, 12:54
Is this it?

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=361932

Smooth & Wasabi
07-20-2016, 23:39
Thanks for the insight. Looking at pictures of potaywadjo it doesn't click. Like rafe said that section accounts for lots of springs. I'll just have to get back up there sooner than later.