PDA

View Full Version : Spacious Alternative ~ Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Xlite

heather_
07-20-2016, 04:12
:sun Hello Lovelies!

My thermarest neoair xlite came in the mail today .. unfortunately, I will not be keeping it. It's embarrassing to admit, but I order the wrong size. I assumed the size small would suit someone well under 6'. If I read the specifications, I would of realized it suited someone a bit above 3'. Lesson learned :)
Regardless of length I gave this air mattress try. I do like it, but I foresee an issue with it. The width of size small is the same as the size regular. Therefore I know need I more space to sleep. Which leads me to my question for you! Does anyone have any recommendations for air mattresses that are of a reasonable weight and give you a bit wiggle room? or should I try and stick with the neoair xlite in the size regular?

~ Heather

cmoulder
07-20-2016, 06:43
Neoair Trekker. (https://www.amazon.com/Therm-a-Rest-NeoAir-Trekker-Mattress-Regular/dp/B00HP81J6E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469011189&sr=8-1&keywords=therm-a-rest+neoair+trekker)

The torso/wide version measures 47" x 25" and is rectangular shape, weighs 13 oz. I use this mat and put my pack under my lower legs, which totally works for me. Combined with an Exped UL pillow. YMMV

Engine
07-20-2016, 06:44
Like every other piece of gear, the sleeping bad is a victim of compromise. In order to gain appreciably more width you are probably going to have to move to a double pad. They are much heavier and more bulky. I toss and turn a lot and the old 20" wide Neoair Trekker is the best pad I've come accross yet. Not to say there isn't room for improvement, but until someone somes up with a super comfy 72x22 pad that weighs less than 10 ounces and reliably stays inflated, I'll stick with what I've got.

AfterParty
07-20-2016, 07:35
I was really looking at the trekker. How is sleeping on a torso pad?

swisscross
07-20-2016, 08:09
If the length is the issue, not width, then try the regular or the woman's version. Both are 20" wide but the woman's is a slightly warmer pad and is 5'-6" long but they both weigh the same at 12 ounces.
If you need more width either go with the trekker wide torso or the large xlite.
The trekker uses thicker material and I would assume mor durable but the large xlite only weighs 1 ounce more than the large torso trekker model and will give you much more space to move around.
Many, including myself, don't like torso length pads due to the drop caused by the thickness of the pad which bothers my knees.
Even though the large xlite weighs a whopping 1 lb (16 oz.) it is my choice. Even though I don't need the length.
Whopping? So much space for the weight is crazy compared to most other pads and pads of yore.
Thermarest is not the only option...but I do like their warranty and the fact they are manufactured in the U.S.

Just Bill
07-20-2016, 14:52
http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/mattresses/fast-and-light/neoair-xlite/product
The xlite comes in three sizes- as mentioned- Large is your only option for a wider mat at 16 ounces.

I did use the women's neo-air for many years as a nice compromise at 12 ounces- though I prefer the large size- if you sidesleep the women's neo-air is adequate if you are counting ounces.

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/mattresses/fast-and-light/neoair-xtherm-and-xtherm-max/product

That said- if funds are tight and you plan on cooler weather camping too- the Large Xtherm is the better overall value at 4 ounces more.

There are some alternatives...
http://www.exped.com/usa/en/product-category/mats/synmat-hyperlite-mw
In Medium Wide, the exped hyperlight splits the two xlite models in terms of size and weight.
It has the width, but not the length and comes in about 14.5 ounces.

I own one for hammock testing, but still prefer the Xlite models, though some prefer these so it's a coinflip mostly. Though the Neo-Air series has better long term reviews as far as durability and failure rates.

OR go big or stay home and get this fella- http://www.exped.com/usa/en/product-category/mats/synmat-hyperlite-duo
1lb 12 ounces- but this is big enough for one or even both of my kiddos and I to sleep on together.
It's the lightest "luxury" pad you can get at this time and very comfy both on the ground and in a bridge hammock.

Secondmouse
07-20-2016, 16:21
the Klymit Static V Junior is 50.4 x 23 x 2.5 and weighs 13 oz. it retails for $45

Odd Man Out
07-20-2016, 17:49
There are a few old threads on wide pads that are not too heavy or too long. If you can find one you might get some more ideas. I too have been searching for a wide but not heavy pad for sometime. I currently have the Static V. It is a summer pad. If you are going out in colder weather you will need the insulated version. There are others. There are not too many pad makers and their products are constantly changing. Just search each of their product lines looking specifically for wide pads. One I've been looking at recently is the Nemo Tensor. It comes in am insulated long wide version for 1 lb 2 oz. Would love to get some feedback on it. Exped seems to be coming out with ore light wide pads. The Synmat HYPERLIGHT MW looks nice. They seem to have less and more insulated variations. At Exped, MW is their designation for medium length and wide.

cmoulder
07-20-2016, 18:19
I was really looking at the trekker. How is sleeping on a torso pad?

I find this to be the perfect solution for me because A) I put my pack under my lower legs so the remaining minimal dropoff doesn't bother me at all, and B) I find the rectangular, wide shape prevents Dangling Elbow Syndrome (which I hate!) and the pad doesn't squirt out from under me like a greased pig. As usual YMMV.

In fact, for the last few months I've been using an old-style rectangular Neoair (the origninal) that was cut down from 77" to 47" in length, with the 25" dimension also matching the Trekker. It weighs 10.4 oz but I didn't mention it earlier because this is a one-off item that is not generally available. However, it is one of my most prized pieces of backpacking gear.

Photo of the cut-down, old-school Neoair with a Neoair Xlite on top...35499

Odd Man Out
07-20-2016, 19:45
A couple of years ago I emailed the neo air people suggesting they make short wide pads. I cited the evidence that many people were cutting down their large pads. They replied that they produce a wide range of products to meet people's needs, and peopled interested interested UL pads don't want wide pads. In other words they were not interested in my input. If we all flooded their inbox, maybe they would listen?

AfterParty
07-20-2016, 21:21
20" sucks its a funky width to get used to. I really like the idea of 25 but I just don't know if I'd like the torso length and I hate to spend 110 bucks if I can't get used to it.

cmoulder
07-20-2016, 23:32
20" sucks its a funky width to get used to. I really like the idea of 25 but I just don't know if I'd like the torso length and I hate to spend 110 bucks if I can't get used to it.

Get one at REI and exchange it if you don't like it. You have a year to figure it out, lol! :sun

cmoulder
07-20-2016, 23:44
A couple of years ago I emailed the neo air people suggesting they make short wide pads. I cited the evidence that many people were cutting down their large pads. They replied that they produce a wide range of products to meet people's needs, and peopled interested interested UL pads don't want wide pads. In other words they were not interested in my input. If we all flooded their inbox, maybe they would listen?

I have heard similar complaints about Thermarest's stance on this issue. Fortunately there are some big-n-tall people out there who need something more substantial so there are options for cutting down the 77x25 mats. Unfortunately this will also void the warranty. I know this is a deal breaker for a lot of people, but for me it is worth it to get precisely the item that gets the job done for me. There is definitely a certain 'pucker factor' when slicing into a brand new $200 piece of gear with no recourse if the experiment fails! :eek:

Odd Man Out
07-21-2016, 08:36

Get one at REI and exchange it if you don't like it. You have a year to figure it out, lol! :sun

I have a torso length wide neo air trekker I replaced with my Static V. It's used lightly but I can't return it because of some blood stains (I fell and cut my elbow). I would sell it cheap If you don't mind the cosmetic blemishes.

fastfoxengineering
07-21-2016, 08:41
Xtherm max.

I found my on sale for $125

AfterParty
07-21-2016, 08:48
Use oxy clean and a pressure washer. I ended up going with female xlite. Which will be to short as well but not as short. I'll keep it in mind though

Odd Man Out
07-21-2016, 09:38
I use a quilt so I sleep right on the pad. So not only does it have blood stains it has persperation stains. For my own gear I really don't care about such things, but if selling, well it makes a difference. I haven't used it in a couple years. I should dig it out and give it another cleaning.

Secondmouse
07-21-2016, 11:48

by itself a shortie sacrifices coverage/comfort for weight. weight in an inflatable pad comes less from its size than it does from the insulation inside. full size un-insulated mattresses are not much heavier than the smaller versions thereof.

a good alternative for some people is to carry a cut down CCF pad with an inflatable mattrress. I use this combination sometimes with the CCF for insulation and the inflatable for comfort.

Secondmouse
07-21-2016, 12:07
I have a torso length wide neo air trekker I replaced with my Static V. It's used lightly but I can't return it because of some blood stains (I fell and cut my elbow). I would sell it cheap If you don't mind the cosmetic blemishes.

Klymit makes good pads that are lightweight and very inexpensive compared to other popular ones. I don't know why more people don't use them.

the rectangular Insulated Static V Lite measures 23 x 72 x 2.5, has an R-value of 4.4, weighs 19.6oz, and retails for only $95. it's 3" wider, warmer, and $35 cheaper than the Neo-Air Trekker but only weighs 1.6oz more...

JumpMaster Blaster
07-21-2016, 12:29
I too recently bought the XLite (regular). I'm a side sleeper half the time so it wasn't the most comfortable pad to sleep on. I used it INSIDE my sleeping bag because it was just too narrow for me to stay on top of it during the night. The other thing I don't really like about it is it's single air channel construction- that causes it to flip up at crazy angles depending where the majority of your body weight is.

Yeah, I saved 4 ounces off my pack weight, but I can definitely see what I forfeited interms of comfort.

Vegan Packer
07-22-2016, 03:03
I started with a Trekker. Loved it. Super comfy. Keeps me from having elbow drop syndrome when sleeping on my back.

I switched to an XLite wide, which saved some weight. Nearly as comfortable. The only downside to it is that the cut down sides that trim off some weight has brought back the elbow drop when I am on my back. I sleep on my side for a lot of the time, but the elbow drop is what makes this solution a near miss, but an acceptable solution for me.

Casey & Gina
07-23-2016, 08:25
Nothing short of long wide (25x77") rectangular pads make me happy in the winter. Exped Downmat UL 7 LW's are what we use.

For 3-season use though, short pads are gine as long as they aren't too thick and have a big dropoff, and for long distance hiking, weight is more important than comfort, so 20" wide pads do the job. Exped SIM Lite 2.5 UL XS are what we use. Regular (M) is a good choice too if you feel a need for padding under your legs.

For car camping, bulk and weight don't matter, so then we use Exped MegaMat 10 LXW's (30" wide) for the ultimate in comfort.

Rex Clifton
08-27-2016, 19:31
I prop so clothes under my elbows.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

AfterParty
08-27-2016, 20:35
I have been using the women's xlite for a couple weeks now. I'm 6'4 so my feet dangle a bit and my elbows can feel funny but I can still sleep on my back quite well.