PDA

View Full Version : WTS: Big Agnes Saddle Mountain SL 15 (2-person sleeping bag / quilt)

Casey & Gina
07-20-2016, 10:30
Big Agnes calls this a sleeping “bag”, but as there’s no bottom insulation, I consider it a quilt.

This is a lightweight 15-degree 2-person sleeping solution, and a very good one.

The bottom nylon has partial-length sleeves with straps on the bottom for accommodating any 20″ wide pads – we used short pads just fine but full-length and even long pads will work equally well. The straps aren’t really necessary but will keep the pad secured. The nice thing about the sleeves only being about halfway down the bag is that it allows for the foot box to be moved around a little bit more freely. In theory, it should be possible to remove the center seam on the sleeves and restitch it so that it could accommodate a 40″ wide Exped Hyperlite Duo. There is one big hood, and a down-filled baffle pulls out of a velco pouch in the top center and secures to a patch of velcro on the back center of the hood for dividing the hood into two smaller ones and sealing off the drafts on cold nights. There is also a contoured neck baffle for each person, and two pillow sleeves (Sea-to-Summit regular size inflatable pillows fit well in them). There’s a 3/4 length zipper down each side, and some down below the zipper as well as a baffle, so this is a system that will definitely keep you warm and draft-free. The “SL” in the name refers to the SuperLight fabric used, however the down is only 600 fillpower so it weighs an ounce or two more than a much more expensive higher-fillpower bag would. Both the down and exterior fabrics are treated with DWR, so this is good for humid/wet trips.

We’ve used the bag about a dozen nights, but it’s in like new condition, but with the tags removed. We have always worn a base layer while using it, and have never laundered the bag. It’s a good bag but honestly a little too “full-featured” for my tastes with the pillow sleeves, various length pad support, and center baffle. We also own a Feathered Friends Condor -10, and I would rather switch from this to a Feathered Friends Penguin 30 for lighter weight warmer weather hiking. So I will sell this in order to get some funds towards that goal. A $650 bag – will start the asking price at $150 off at $500 shipped CONUS, but offers are welcome, and I’d also be happy to trade for a Penguin. Will also consider other lightweight gear offers as partial trades.

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Bag/saddlemountainsl15