PDA

View Full Version : Keeping track of bear sightings

ChuckT
07-20-2016, 13:51
Are there more bear vs hiker reports this year? Does anybody compile that statistic or is there an ATC web page that posts the latest details?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Gambit McCrae
07-20-2016, 15:11
If you are meaning hearsay accounts of bear sightings, it would be overwhelming. For instance, you can be at the shelter and have had seen a bear 30 minutes prior while walking down the trail. Next guy comes into trail "Hey I just saw a bear 30 min back". Most times when I have seen a bear, others have seen the same bear, or at least a bear in the same location. There are bears in every state that the AT crosses. I am just shy of 930 miles complete on the AT, and went about 38-40 trips without seeing a bear. Saw 2 on my first trip to the AT, in the Smokies, and 40 trips later I was in the Shannies and saw my next 3, 2 trips later I saw a pair of bears. So it is randomly sporadic, yet consistent in certain sections.

I started a poll one time on here curious to see where rattlesnakes are mostly seen on the AT, I found that what I should enquired on is either yes or no have you seen the species, or how many have you seen. As West VA could be full of rattlers, yet the trail is only 8 miles thru WV. Where as there could be a much small pop in Virginia, but due to being 550 miles long, people have seen more in that state.

I also started my rattler thread loaded with some fear of them, the same as you might have for bears. I have seen multiple rattlers on other trails now, and the level of fear has gone down, while the level of respect stays the same. If you are in fear of bears, respect them, and all should be a great experience. Its one thing to drive along 441 or cades cove and see them huddled by 100 people, its another to make a turn in the trail, and see a couple foraging for food in the back country :)

I was hiking with a gorgeous redhead a while back when she saw her first bear, she was quite a bit more excited then I was for my first bear sighting.

Heather1027
07-20-2016, 15:56
Maybe I'm that crazy person, but I REALLY want to see a bear on the AT!!!

Rattlesnakes, not so much..(are they common in NC? What do I do if I see one? Besides pass out, lol)

Gambit McCrae
07-20-2016, 16:26
I am anything but an expert, but when I see them I slowly stop and watch the bear, look around for others. If the bear is a considerable distance away and is not progressing forward or seem agitated I just watch it and wait for it to mosey off. If I am in lala land, look up and he is 15 feet in front of me, its a different story as it happened in the Shenandoah. Yes I had both my ear buds in, jamming probably to some CCR when I look up and a big male is 20 feet away from me or so. I started slowly backing up, he smacked his jowls a few times loudly, reared up and started running at me, I put my arms up and made my 6'4" body look big yelling as angrily as I could taking a step or 2 towards him. He sat down and thought about it for a minute, and then at his leisure, mosied off into the woods(lucky me). So, so far I have had 6 either ignore me, or run like heck, and 1 bluff charge. Others can surely give a better explanation of what to do then I, those are only my experiences, and not but 7 experiences at that. I have heard that the older the bear, the less prone to run away. I have no evidence to back this up.

CamelMan
07-20-2016, 18:53
Maybe I'm that crazy person, but I REALLY want to see a bear on the AT!!!

Come to the Smokies and try some of the lesser used trails.

Engine
07-20-2016, 19:56
Come to the Smokies and try some of the lesser used trails.

+1 on this...We have seen so many bears in the Smokies over the past 20 years that now we spend a few seconds acknowledging their presence and just move on. Back in the late 90's I was climbing to Gregory Bald from campsite #13 and just as the trail reached the bald it was overgrown with tall blueberry bushes. I noticed something moving the foilage to the side of the trail and assumed it was a deer since there are so many up there. As I moved forward, a black bear's head emerged and we made eye contact before it crossed the trail in a hurry, literally 2-3' in front of me. Very cool experience!

ChuckT
07-20-2016, 20:32
I'm not interested in seeing bears. Maybe seeing bear buts going away!
Am _not_ interested in losing my grub or any equipment to brer bear either. So for my upcoming September 3 day, Hampton north to Damascus, I want to carry a Ursack (keep brother mouse and crew at bay) but not a cannister unless completely necessary.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk