PDA

View Full Version : Is this a stupid idea?

skinnbones
07-20-2016, 21:23
I'm thinking of you using my tent bag to store my food. Is this a stupid idea? (Thru hiking AT next spring).

Lone Wolf
07-20-2016, 21:29
no. not at all. no need for that cuben fiber crap

Slo-go'en
07-20-2016, 21:54
Where are you going to put your tent, in the food bag?

MuddyWaters
07-20-2016, 22:02
I'm thinking of you using my tent bag to store my food. Is this a stupid idea? (Thru hiking AT next spring).

Maybe.
Does it have right size?
Sturdy enough?
Can you get food out without dumping everything?
Do you need it for tent?
Is it the right color?

saltysack
07-20-2016, 22:05
Sounds like a plan...I've got a closet full of unused stuff sacks......however the only stuff sack I carry other than a food bag is the stuff sack for my tent so it keeps inside my pack clean when tent is wet and muddy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skinnbones
07-20-2016, 22:58
Where are you going to put your tent, in the food bag?Pack tent loose in bottom of pack (below my trash bag liner).

rocketsocks
07-21-2016, 00:28
Maybe.
Does it have right size?
Sturdy enough?
Can you get food out without dumping everything?
Do you need it for tent?
Is it the right color?what is the right color? I've never heard anyone mention color before.

Hangfire
07-21-2016, 02:17
My tent bag would probably hold half of my food at most.

MuddyWaters
07-21-2016, 02:48
Pack tent loose in bottom of pack (below my trash bag liner

Id suggest food bag/raingear on top, because they are needed in day.
Then tent,
Clothes and sleeping gear in liner on bottom.

Tent is near last to go in(except food), and near first to come out (except food)
There are logical reasons for this

Think thru packing up /unpacking in rain., etc do you want to take everything out of pack and set out in rain in order just to get tent out? When packing up, vice versa, nothing can be packed until tent is in. In this case, tent is on top.or on outside, etc.

Starchild
07-21-2016, 04:13
As for color, dark colors make it more difficult to see stuff inside the bag, choose a light colored translucent bag IMHO. Not that you can't get away with a dark color, I have done it, but it's a continuous reminder every time you reach in that a lighter color would make this easier.

Many people on a AT thru seem to use a drybag, which I also use for food. Though on a thru the dry part won't last forever, and bound to get some holes, but it does offer protection against rain (some places you just have to hang), and some feeling of containing the odor of the food better till it does get worn thru. So the water worthiness of your bag should also be a factor, both in keeping the contents dry + keeping the bag dry inside.

Another advantage of the drybag method which should be considered is the bag string hang length, if it's excessively long then it hangs lower, not a deal breaker but something to be aware of, and other tieing methods could be used.

The shape should also be considered. All thing being equal I like a wide opening for food storage, both in getting stuff out and fitting stuff in. Long and narrow has less efficient use of space, also further hanging down. Fitting it inside YOUR pack however may call for a different shape.

MuddyWaters
07-21-2016, 04:18
what is the right color? I've never heard anyone mention color before.

Red, blue, yellow , green, and occasionally orange are the colors most often taken by bears.

This might be because they are the predominant sack colors, but why take chances?

But a light translucent color do make it easier to see in bag and find things.

rocketsocks
07-21-2016, 04:55
But a light translucent color do make it easier to see in bag and find things.i could see that :D

Hikingjim
07-21-2016, 08:26
If you don't need the tent bag for your tent, leave it at home and use a different cheap bag for your food.
You obviously don't want to use the tent bag for food and then put the tent in it in the morning.

You can use any bag for your food as long as it's light, fits everything, is easy to hang and is waterproof. I wouldn't choose my tent bag for that, but it COULD be fine

garlic08
07-21-2016, 08:37
I have never bought a stuff sack. I use the one the tent came in for my clothing, and the one that came with the sleeping bag for my food. A trash compactor bag waterproofs my pack. The OP's plan sounds good to me.

Slo-go'en
07-21-2016, 08:37
I had an orange sack for food until it got destroyed by squirrels. I replaced it with a gray sack and the problem went away. Apparently bright colors make it easier for critters to see and then investigate. The flip side of using a dark colored sack is it also makes it harder for you to find in the morning if you forget exactly where you hung it.

JumpMaster Blaster
07-21-2016, 12:33
None of my tent stuff sacks would work for more than 2 days of food, especially the way I pack. But hey if it works for you then it works, right? Do a few test runs and see how it goes.

As for me, I'll stick with my $35 cuben fiber crap bag.

Secondmouse
07-21-2016, 13:41
people actually take the bag their tent came in???

huh...

Bronk
07-22-2016, 14:02
I hate trying to get a tent to go back in the bag it came in, so I generally fold the tent up, lay the poles at the end and roll the poles up in the tent. The roll then gets strapped to the outside of my pack or put in it. Using the sack for a food bag is probably the best use of it.

skinnbones
07-22-2016, 14:56
I hate trying to get a tent to go back in the bag it came in, so I generally fold the tent up, lay the poles at the end and roll the poles up in the tent. The roll then gets strapped to the outside of my pack or put in it. Using the sack for a food bag is probably the best use of it.I like this idea, thanks. I do hear to try not to have too much gear strapped to the outside of back (branches could snag items).

JC13
07-22-2016, 20:38
I like this idea, thanks. I do hear to try not to have too much gear strapped to the outside of back (branches could snag items).I kept our tent+fly strapped to the outside bottom on my fusion the entire trip with no snagging issues. YMMV

QiWiz
07-30-2016, 22:14
As long as you stop using it to store your tent, a tent sack may make a nice food bag. You will need something to coral your tent, like another sack, mesh bag, or even pack pocket.

-Rush-
08-07-2016, 06:31
I would suggest something more sturdy for holding many pounds of food. Once you break the tent bag, since it wasn't designed to be hung with 5+ pounds of food in it, you'll be looking for a replacement anyway. Osprey makes a 1.3oz 20L dry sack that works great for $22.