PDA

View Full Version : Where do you brush your teeth?

FreeGoldRush
07-20-2016, 22:38
It seems inappropriate to brush your teeth and spit on the ground at a tenting spot that is used often by others. Where do you discard any sort of waste water when camping at/near a shelter?

Gambit McCrae
07-20-2016, 22:53
Im sure any answer other then swallowing it or kicking your heel in the dirt will be frowned upon, but you know how you see those clumps of treens right outside of camping areas with little shrubs all around the base? I spit in those. Or i wait till im out of camp and take a break on the side of the trail.

Trailweaver
07-21-2016, 01:49
I step away from the campsite (a few feet into the brush) and brush and spit there. Then I use my water bottle to kind of wash it away. If I'm going to brush several times at one campsite (evening, morning?), then I do the brushing and spiting at one place so I only have to clean up one site.

MuddyWaters
07-21-2016, 03:46
It seems inappropriate to brush your teeth and spit on the ground at a tenting spot that is used often by others. Where do you discard any sort of waste water when camping at/near a shelter?

Most people spit it within 20 ft of the shelter, or into fire ring. So I wouldnt stress over it.

egilbe
07-21-2016, 06:08
Just a small dab of toothpaste and swallow it.

Engine
07-21-2016, 06:20
Where we cook and eat...

AfterParty
07-21-2016, 08:52
Cat hole seems logical to me.

Puddlefish
07-21-2016, 10:43
Downwind of others and in the underbrush. Same general idea as hanging your bear bag, so maybe in the same area. Don't just spit it, spray it. Spreads out the scent, less likely to get little animals exploring... or at least that's the theory.

DLP
07-21-2016, 11:57
I use baking soda and swallow it. I consider it part of my sodium for the day and sort of like electrolytes.

Traveler
07-21-2016, 12:05
First shalt thou take out the Holy Tooth Brush, then shalt thou count to three as thou scrubbiest thine teeth, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then spittest thy teeth waste upon the ground so as not to offendeth thine camping brethren nor soil thine own shoes."

With apologies to Michael Palin

JumpMaster Blaster
07-21-2016, 12:22
Just a small dab of toothpaste and swallow it.

NO. That causes at best nausea and at worst vomiting for many people. Swallowing toothpaste isn't an option to me. Step a few yards away from the campsite or shelter, brush, spit, and run some water over it. Or like what was previously mentioned, walk down the trail for a few minutes and do it there.

Secondmouse
07-21-2016, 12:32
First shalt thou take out the Holy Tooth Brush, then shalt thou count to three as thou scrubbiest thine teeth, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then spittest thou thy teeth wasting upon the ground so's not to ofendeth thine camping brethren nor soil thine own shoes."

wait, the three count... it that per tooth? or the whole thing?

that would explain the sudden rise in the number of dental implant offices that have begun to spring up all over...

The Cleaner
07-21-2016, 13:27
I use baking soda and swallow it. I consider it part of my sodium for the day and sort of like electrolytes. I've been using baking soda for 30 years on backcountry trips.It can also be used to rinse out flavors in water containers.

Just Bill
07-21-2016, 14:21
I generally don't brush my teeth- the vigorous scrubbing causes them to fall out.

If I do brush-
I wait until the other people at camp go to get water or sumthin.
I clear a likely spot and I spit on the ground.
Then I pee real good to wash away the toothpaste smear.
Then I poop on top of the pee to cover that up.
Then I put the other fella's tent back on the spot where I found it and get to hiking.

egilbe
07-21-2016, 15:05
NO. That causes at best nausea and at worst vomiting for many people. Swallowing toothpaste isn't an option to me. Step a few yards away from the campsite or shelter, brush, spit, and run some water over it. Or like what was previously mentioned, walk down the trail for a few minutes and do it there.

Never had any ill effects from swallowing a pea sized dab of toothpaste

JC13
07-21-2016, 15:08
We used a activated charcoal/coconut husk powder. When we were done brushing we just spit it in the bushes.

SouthMark
07-21-2016, 15:29
Was taught by a caretaker in Maine that the LNT method was to do a spraying effect as a fine mist.

Halloween
07-21-2016, 15:43
I use the spray method.

gbolt
07-21-2016, 15:57
If able to, I brush and spit close to a privy. It's an area most people don't stomp around or come close too. I like it better than around camp or eating area. I just had this same question, in my head, when I was on the trail last night lol.

Lone Wolf
07-21-2016, 16:06
i spit into the same ziplock that i pack out my TP in

MisterQ
07-21-2016, 16:09
My method-

Walk a good distance into the woods, brush teeth with small dab of paste, take a big glug of water to dilute, and spray.

Don H
07-21-2016, 16:16
Had a bear one night at Bird's Nest 3 shelter scratch the ground right outside of my tent where I spit toothpaste. So if you want to see bears spit close to your camp. ;)

Dogwood
07-21-2016, 19:50
Shouldn't have to be said to simply brush and spit away from where it might impact others.

Dunwoodyhum
07-21-2016, 20:32
I'm not a dentist, btw.

Do you really need toothpaste? I just brush with a wet brush, rinse and spit, floss, rinse and spit. Brush with paste while in town or when otherwise convenient.

Seems I remember being taught to spray on the leaves of a bush. I usually choose the poison ivy. It deserves it.

SouthMark
07-21-2016, 20:46
I'm not a dentist, btw.

Do you really need toothpaste? I just brush with a wet brush, rinse and spit, floss, rinse and spit. Brush with paste while in town or when otherwise convenient.

Seems I remember being taught to spray on the leaves of a bush. I usually choose the poison ivy. It deserves it.

My dentist once told me that toothpaste gave you a false sense of clean.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

swjohnsey
07-21-2016, 23:14
Mostly in the bathroom. I don't brush my teeth on the trail.

Hikingjim
07-22-2016, 09:00
I spit the toothpaste into my mountain house type package (if I have one!) or a ziplock if I have an empty one.
Sometimes into the woods, but I hate when people do that crap right next to the shelter

jimmyjam
07-22-2016, 09:47
I walk down the trail a couple hundred feet step off the trail kick a small hole brush spit and rinse in the hole. Take a wizz in the hole and cover it back up.

Fireplug
07-22-2016, 12:13
I thought thru hikers didn't brush their teeth! That would explain my bad breath and rotting teeth. Lol. JK. I try to go somewhere people don't walk.

ny breakfast
07-22-2016, 12:25
I generally don't brush my teeth- the vigorous scrubbing causes them to fall out.

If I do brush-
I wait until the other people at camp go to get water or sumthin.
I clear a likely spot and I spit on the ground.
Then I pee real good to wash away the toothpaste smear.
Then I poop on top of the pee to cover that up.
Then I put the other fella's tent back on the spot where I found it and get to hiking.

"works 60% of the time, every time"

Bronk
07-22-2016, 13:53
You can just spit on the floor in the shelter...they're really dirty anyway.

daddytwosticks
07-22-2016, 15:55
You can just spit on the floor in the shelter...they're really dirty anyway.

Yeah...and just wash it away by pissing on it. :)

English Stu
07-22-2016, 17:40
I remember a dentist on here saying just use water as it is the brushing that does the job, then spray the water into the bushes away from everyone.

Deacon
07-24-2016, 06:08
My dentist once told me that toothpaste gave you a false sense of clean.

I too discussed this with my dentist. He told me the cleaning action is from the bristles on the teeth, not from toothpaste.

That said, toothpaste does contain helpful ingredients such as fluoride, antiseptic, etc. But for the few days you're out on the trail, one could brush just fine without toothpaste.

MtDoraDave
07-24-2016, 08:07
I, too, have heard that toothpaste isn't necessary for cleaning teeth... but it's nice to have that fresh breath feeling to start the day. Since I've learned that we should put our toothpaste in with food while hanging it to keep bears from being attracted to our sleeping area, it makes sense that when using toothpaste to brush teeth on the trail that where we spit it out should be just as thoughtful as where we put food - for the safety of the next hikers to come along.

Sarcasm the elf
07-24-2016, 09:12
First shalt thou take out the Holy Tooth Brush, then shalt thou count to three as thou scrubbiest thine teeth, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then spittest thy teeth waste upon the ground so as not to offendeth thine camping brethren nor soil thine own shoes."

Well I do have big pointy teeth...

aaronthebugbuffet
07-24-2016, 14:56
Anything less than a week I usually skip the paste and just use a brush and water. If i use paste I'll dig a little and spit.

FlyPaper
07-25-2016, 14:37
I step away from the campsite (a few feet into the brush) and brush and spit there. Then I use my water bottle to kind of wash it away. If I'm going to brush several times at one campsite (evening, morning?), then I do the brushing and spiting at one place so I only have to clean up one site.

I also pour water on toothpaste spit. Also, while rinsing toothbrush by pouring water on it, I pour on the brush above the place in the ground where the toothpaste spit is so that there is even more water used to clean the toothpaste spit. Generally when I'm done, you can't tell anyone spit toothpaste in the spot and I don't have to use that much water to make it happen.

FlyPaper
07-25-2016, 15:08
Another friendly hiking tip concerning oral hygiene...

Listerine continues to be effective if used multiple times. Thus you can take a small bottle of Listerine, rinse each morning/night, then spit the remains back into the original bottle for reuse. This is simple, saves money and reduces pack weight.

You're welcome.

FreeGoldRush
07-25-2016, 16:37

Listerine continues to be effective if used multiple times. Thus you can take a small bottle of Listerine, rinse each morning/night, then spit the remains back into the original bottle for reuse. This is simple, saves money and reduces pack weight.

You're welcome.

Oh my. That's a thru hiking experience I will likely avoid. :)

Lnj
07-26-2016, 15:45
i generally don't brush my teeth- the vigorous scrubbing causes them to fall out.

If i do brush-
i wait until the other people at camp go to get water or sumthin.
I clear a likely spot and i spit on the ground.
Then i pee real good to wash away the toothpaste smear.
Then i poop on top of the pee to cover that up.
Then i put the other fella's tent back on the spot where i found it and get to hiking.

rotfl!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lnj
07-26-2016, 15:51

You're welcome.

This is the first time I have ever felt nauseous reading something on WB. My gag reflex is actually activated right now.