PDA

View Full Version : Mt. Washington to Caratunk -- Parking? Shuttles?

honu
07-20-2016, 23:26
I'm headed out next week to hike from Mt. Washington to Caratunk (or vice-versa). Trying to figure out where to park my car and how to get to the trail from my car and back to my car again when I'm done. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Slo-go'en
07-21-2016, 08:46
It's not going to be easy. You might be able to get long term parking at the (Mt Washington) auto road and take the hiker shuttle up to the summit to start. Getting back will be the tricky part, it's at least a 3 hour drive.

I hope your in really top notch shape, that's about the most rugged and difficult section of the AT to do right off, regardless of which end you start on. SOBO would be marginally easier.

illabelle
07-21-2016, 09:09
We like leaving a car at/near the midpoint of a section to use for fresh clothes, food storage, drop off trash, or even a trip to civilization. I would discuss with the fine folks at Pine Ellis 207.392.4161 or Shane at the Farmhouse/Stratton Motel 207.246.4171. They would have intimate knowledge of the trailheads, and would help to facilitate your trip.

Good point made above by Slo about this being a very difficult section. Since you've been hanging around WB since 2005, I guess maybe you sorta know that already. Good luck!

peakbagger
07-21-2016, 09:51
I strongly suggest doing this section southbound. From Caratunk there is one steep climb and then two days of easy walking through the Carry Ponds area to Long Falls Dam road to get your trail legs. From there the hike over Bigelow is a rude awakening to the rest of the hike but there is Stratton to rest up and possibly reconsider your itinerary. From then on its some beautiful hiking but daily elevation changes (with the exception of RT 4 to height of land) are going to be the rule.

There is lot to be said to break the trip into a couple of shorter shuttles. Drive to Stratton and get a shuttle back to Caratunk. Hike back to Stratton. Then drive to Andover and get a shuttle back to Stratton, hike back to Andover. Based on your progress to date I expect you may end up adjusting your endpoint possibly to Shelburne. Drive to Shelburne and then get shuttle back to Andover. From there White Mountain Hostel runs shuttles all over the stretch from Mt Washington to Shelburne.

BTW, no long term parking on Mt Washington summit but I expect you can arrange to park at the base station on RT 16. You can buy a ride down on the Mt Washington Auto Road Vans but be careful, they are space available and as the end of the day approaches, the vans can fill up and they start charging more for rides down. There are also days where they cant run due to the weather but I expect if they are not running the vans, you will proably be holed up somewhere north of the summit like at the RMC facilities.

If you insist on just one shuttle, its 8 hour day for the shuttler. This firm in Berlin NH lists $375 dollars http://trailangelshikerservices.com/shuttle.html. I don't see you getting one for much less from a commercial entity unless they can have someone else do full or partial share.

Slo-go'en
07-21-2016, 17:52
I like Peakbaggers plan, you should consider it carefully. It will add a few days to the trip due to extra shuttles but I bet the day off doing that will be welcome.

honu
07-22-2016, 00:16
I'm liking peakerbagger's plan as well. I was struggling with the logistics and what he's suggesting makes a lot of sense.

And yes, I think I know what I'm getting into. I've hiked most of the AT in New Hampshire and Maine in past years. And I have been doing training hikes to get ready for this trip. But I'm getting old and the hills in Michigan are nothing like the mountains in the northeast. :) Hopefully, experience will help. I'll take it easy at first and I'm giving myself plenty of time.

Thanks everyone for the feedback so far. Would love to hear more.

peakbagger
07-22-2016, 06:40
One other caveat is that the entire region is in a mild to severe drought. All the rivers and streams are running low. I haven't heard of water supplies running out but the section you are hiking in mostly has shelters up on the ridge line so the water sources are tenuous. By heading southbound, you can quiz the northbounders on water. A minor note is that there is brand new MATC campsite immediately south of South Arm Road near Black Brook complete with brand new handicapped accessible privy.

rafe
07-22-2016, 07:07
White Mountains Lodge and Hostel is on Rte. 2 right where the AT crosses, a couple miles east of Gorham. I'd check them out for long-term parking and for a shuttle to Mt. Washington, which is only a few miles away. You can buy a ride up the auto road for $25.

Your main town stops and resources for that hike are Gorham, Andover, Rangeley and Stratton. The trail is gnarly and tough (and beautiful) all through that section, with just a couple minor exceptions I can think of -- Rte. 17 to Rangeley, and from Flagstaff Lake to Caratunk.

Can't advise on getting back to Gorham from Caratunk -- Caratunk is kinda in the middle of nowhere. I'm guessing a shuttle would be quite expensive.

Another option would be to end your hike in Monson instead of Caratunk, which would avail you to shuttle services to Bangor, and better access to public transportation, once you're in Bangor. Monson to Caratunk shouldn't add more than three days to your hike.

honu
07-24-2016, 21:11
Thanks for the responses. I think a plan is coming together.

One more question. I'm trying to keep my food weight down. How easy is it to hitch a ride to and from Stratton, Rangeley, and Andover? The Companion suggests Andover may be a difficult hitch. And is Mountainside Grocers a viable alternative to going into Stratton?

peakbagger
07-25-2016, 07:05
There is not a lot of traffic on South Arm road or East B Hill Road into Andover, mostly logging trucks if there is an active job and some recreational users. At least one of hostels in Andover runs shuttles into town to their facilities. Rt 27 into Stratton is fairly busy with some local traffic and RT 4 into Rangeley is very busy. RT 17 into Oquossuc and eventually Rangeley has the least traffic

egilbe
07-25-2016, 07:32
Those roads see a lot of hikers. The locals know the hikers need a ride to town to spend money. They are pretty good about picking up hikers. Hell, I've even picked up hikers in that area and given rides to Rangeley. East B Hill road is probably the least trafficked of the roads Peakbagger mentioned, but cars do occasionally use it.

honu
07-27-2016, 00:05
Thanks again everyone. Current plan is to begin hiking southbound from Caratunk on Sunday afternoon.

FWIW, I got in touch with Hiker Hut and Pine Ellis and they provide shuttles into Rangeley and Andover, respectively, for a reasonable fee.