PDA

View Full Version : You May Wear Your Kilt

Scribe
01-07-2006, 10:56
Teenager may wear his kilt at high school
<!--END HEAD-->
<!--BYLINE--> The Associated Press <!--END BYLINE-->
Published Saturday, January 7, 2006
<!--BODY--> A southeast Missouri student who was told to change out of his kilt at a high school dance can wear the garment to future school functions, a lawyer for the district said.
"He can wear that kilt to school if he wants, to the prom, to a basketball game," Jackson school district lawyer Steve Wright said yesterday.
But Wright cited one exception. Though he said it’s not anticipated, student Nathan Warmack could be asked to change if the kilt-wearing somehow resulted in a problem or disruption.
That has been a sticking point for Nathan and his parents because his wearing of the kilt was seen by a school official as disruptive in the first place.
The Warmacks have said they think a broader policy change is necessary to allow other students to wear formal cultural dress to school functions, if they choose.
Warmack, 18, wore a kilt to a Jackson High School dance in November with a dress shirt and tie as a way to recognize his Scottish heritage. Principal Rick McClard told Warmack to change into pants, allegedly telling Warmack he wasn’t going to have students coming into the dance looking like clowns. The Warmacks said they were told McClard did not recall saying that. They have requested a formal apology.
Phone messages to McClard were not returned. Wright said he believes the principal had to make a snap judgment call and has since reconsidered the decision. He said it’s appropriate that the ability to make dress code decisions remain with the principal, saying that’s a common practice.
A North Carolina lawyer working with the Warmacks, Kirk Lyons, said Thursday that the issue has not been resolved. "I would like for the school to do the right thing," he said.
Nathan’s father, Terry Warmack, said yesterday that he plans to meet with the school board Monday in a closed session, and he did not wish to comment at length until after he found out more.
Neither the school district, citing the privacy of student records, nor the Warmacks, hoping to have more information after Monday’s meeting, would allow The Associated Press to see a letter sent from McClard to Nathan Warmack in recent weeks.
Since Warmack was told to change out of the kilt at the dance, an Internet petition supporting him - and started by Texas members of a Scottish heritage group - has swelled with more than 11,000 names and notes of support.
Many express outrage. Others offer support, like a doctor who wrote that he wore his own kilt to work one day in the student’s honor.
Some Scottish supporters have sent him gifts, including a traditional pouch worn around the waist in front of a kilt.

Fiddler
01-07-2006, 11:26
That is good. People of other cultures are able to dress approiately to represent their heritage, nationality, religion, etc. To not allow a kilt would, in my opinion, be a slap on the collective Scottish face.

MacGyver2005
01-09-2006, 11:31
Am I the only one who finds it ironic that the Principal is of Celtic origins? His last name is McClard...

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME

scothiker
01-09-2006, 12:03
This is very good, though the language seems a little limiting in its use of the concept of "disrupting". Are they afraid his kilt will fly up?

Shame the reporter doesn't know the "pouch" is called a "sporran".

Moxie00
01-09-2006, 12:36
June 21st, the longest day, and hike naked day on the AT should be extended to school, home, office and places of worship. That would solve all dress codes and related issues.

IdahoDavid
01-09-2006, 14:07
I'm a bit shy. Would a loin cloth be OK? I keep threatening to wear mine for camping and hiking and so far I'm meeting a lot of resistance.

rhjanes
01-09-2006, 15:14
it can become a tangled web! cut and paste below. Local girls asked to leave school for wearing a Rebel purse.....

By JIM DOUGLAS WFAA-TV

BURLESON – Two Burleson High School students who were kicked out of class for displaying rebel flags say they will take their fight to court.
They said they are proud of their heritage, but Burleson High School education officials said the Confederate symbol is offensive.
Ashley Thomas said it all started when she was approached by a school administrator.
"Principal comes up and says, 'You've got to get rid of your purse ... it's racist,' " Ashley said.
Ashley and Aubrie McAllum both received purses patterned after the Confederate battle flag from their parents for Christmas. Both girls decided to take their presents to school.
"I don't have 'KKK' written on me or anything; it's just a purse," Aubrie said. "[It] doesn't have anything to do with what color you are."
The students were asked to leave their purses with the principal; they decided to leave school after calling their parents.
Ashley was sent home three times this week.
"I'm at the point where I really don't know what to do," she said. "I want to keep going to school and get my education, but this is my life. I was born and raised in the South. Why is the flag so bad?"
Burleson school district spokesman Richard Crummel said it's because the purses violate the school's dress code.
"We don't want students to wear anything that might cause a disruption, and that symbol has done that in the past," Mr. Crummel said.
Aubrie's father, Rick McAllum, belongs to the Sons of Confederate Veterans and said he disagrees.
"That's a heritage violation on her, on me ... on all of us," said Mr. McAllum. "So we can push it."
Ashley's mother, Joni Thomas, is from New York, but the parents of both girls praised their daughters and vowed to fight.
"I'm hiring a lawyer," Ms. Thomas said. "I'm going all the way with it, because I think it's wrong."
Burleson High School, with 2,200 students, is about 90 percent white and 8 or 9 percent Hispanic. There are few blacks. "We want to be sensitive to everyone [and] make it comfortable in school for all our students," Mr. Crummel said.

Moxie00
01-09-2006, 17:04
I'm calling "Kilts R. Us" to order a Kilt made from a Confederate Flag.

IdahoDavid
01-09-2006, 19:55
it can become a tangled web! cut and paste below. Local girls asked to leave school for wearing a Rebel purse.....

By JIM DOUGLAS WFAA-TV

BURLESON – Two Burleson High School students who were kicked out of class for displaying rebel flags say they will take their fight to court.
They said they are proud of their heritage, but Burleson High School education officials said the Confederate symbol is offensive.
Ashley Thomas said it all started when she was approached by a school administrator.
"Principal comes up and says, 'You've got to get rid of your purse ... it's racist,' " Ashley said.
Ashley and Aubrie McAllum both received purses patterned after the Confederate battle flag from their parents for Christmas. Both girls decided to take their presents to school.
"I don't have 'KKK' written on me or anything; it's just a purse," Aubrie said. "[It] doesn't have anything to do with what color you are."
The students were asked to leave their purses with the principal; they decided to leave school after calling their parents.
Ashley was sent home three times this week.
"I'm at the point where I really don't know what to do," she said. "I want to keep going to school and get my education, but this is my life. I was born and raised in the South. Why is the flag so bad?"
Burleson school district spokesman Richard Crummel said it's because the purses violate the school's dress code.
"We don't want students to wear anything that might cause a disruption, and that symbol has done that in the past," Mr. Crummel said.
Aubrie's father, Rick McAllum, belongs to the Sons of Confederate Veterans and said he disagrees.
"That's a heritage violation on her, on me ... on all of us," said Mr. McAllum. "So we can push it."
Ashley's mother, Joni Thomas, is from New York, but the parents of both girls praised their daughters and vowed to fight.
"I'm hiring a lawyer," Ms. Thomas said. "I'm going all the way with it, because I think it's wrong."
Burleson High School, with 2,200 students, is about 90 percent white and 8 or 9 percent Hispanic. There are few blacks. "We want to be sensitive to everyone [and] make it comfortable in school for all our students," Mr. Crummel said.

For some the "stars and bars" are just as offensive as a swastika. Me for one.

justusryans
01-09-2006, 20:37
Heritage, not hate.

skylark
01-09-2006, 20:53
Kilts are so last week. Breechclouts are in.

rhjanes
01-10-2006, 11:47
"For some the "stars and bars" are just as offensive as a swastika. Me for one."

I hear ya.... They didn't post the follow up story the next night!! :rolleyes: Seems the High School ring for the school??? Yep!!! got the star's and bars on the side of it!!!! the school district ducked that one by pointing out that the rings are sold by an outside source, and that the rings are not a disruption to the school...

so.....are kilt's disruptive? On a trail, only for a minute. Someplace else? Depends.

beechcloths? how about fig-leaves?

IdahoDavid
01-10-2006, 13:35
Fig leaves are absolutely acceptable. Just make sure you have grabbed the right plant. Remember: "Leaves of three, let it be."

Alligator
01-10-2006, 14:09
Fig leaves are absolutely acceptable. Just make sure you have grabbed the right plant. Remember: "Leaves of three, let it be."
I go straight for the nearest cucumber tree.

Doctari
01-10-2006, 17:44
HORRAY FOR OUR SIDE, I think.

On further consideration, it seems the school board says the A*****E Principal can still make the determination that the kilt is "a distraction" and can still ban it. AND, he has yet to apologize!! :mad:

I say fire him,

out of a cannon!

(Insert looooong list of bad names to call the school board AND the principal)

Doctari.

Scribe
01-10-2006, 20:04
What constitutes "disruption" is still at issue. The question to be resolved is:
Is the student's dress disruptive?
or
Is the disruption caused by those who object to the student's dress?

In any event, it'll be up to the school principal to make the decision - and if he decrees that the kilt is causing the disruption, then the young feller will have to put on some pants.

Skidsteer
01-10-2006, 20:27
June 21st, the longest day, and hike naked day on the AT should be extended to school, home, office and places of worship. That would solve all dress codes and related issues.

And perhaps cause a run on hospital delivery rooms nationwide the following March.:banana

smokymtnsteve
01-10-2006, 20:32
And perhaps cause a run on hospital delivery rooms nationwide the following March.:banana

PLAY SAFE!!

USE A CONDOM EVERYTIME!