PDA

View Full Version : feather allergies and down gear

bstiffler
07-22-2016, 09:54
probably a dumb question, but I am usually allergic to feather pillows/ quilts ect. I am planning on doing a trip probably late sept/ oct in TN/ NC and am looking at upgrading my sleeping bag. aai was thinking about getting a down bag but didn't know if anyone here had similar allergies and had any problem with down gear. I guess if it's good quality it dander ect shouldn't be an issue.

Slo-go'en
07-22-2016, 11:38
I suppose you could go someplace which sells down bags, put your face into one, breath deeply for a few minutes and see what happens.

Farr Away
07-22-2016, 12:29
I would think you might get away with a down jacket or vest, but with a sleeping bag, you will have your face in direct contact with it. Less likely to avoid triggering the allergy.

-FA

moldy
07-22-2016, 19:03
Why bother with it in the first place. Down is overpriced and over hyped. The suitable substitutes are just as good and just as light and they still offer some insulation when wet.

DuneElliot
07-22-2016, 19:41
Why bother with it in the first place. Down is overpriced and over hyped. The suitable substitutes are just as good and just as light and they still offer some insulation when wet.

Disagree with this. It is warmer for weight and lasts longer if taken care of. My down sleeping bag/quilt cost about the same as an equivalent rated quality bag but for half the weight and size when packed.

However, in response to the OP, I wouldn't risk an allergic reaction and would stick with a LW synthetic sleeping bag or quilt from a reputable company. Enlightened Equipment's Prodigy is probably one of the best directions to go.

egilbe
07-22-2016, 19:50

Definitely disagree. Between my ee down quilt and my ee prodigy, guess which one I prefer? The lighter one that keeps me warmer and takes up less space in my pack, of course.

MuddyWaters
07-22-2016, 19:53

The synthetic substitutes are heavier, have really short lifespans for design temperature, loft degrades quickly with frequent use
They are also affected by moisture, just not to the extent down is.

But they have their place.
Synthetic is definitely best for people unwilling to commit to care and handling of down.

Slo-go'en
07-22-2016, 20:53
Heavily used bags, either down or synthetic will eventually wear out. Synthetic will loose loft due to the insulation becoming crushed and down will loose loft as it looses feathers out the seams.

Lightly used bags of either flavor should last indefinitely if properly stored, which is unstuffed in a cool, dry place.

MtDoraDave
07-24-2016, 09:18
I don't think I'd take the chance if I was allergic to feathers.

Depending on the severity of the allergy and the medication required to offset the allergic reaction, I'd be real careful about sleeping in shelters where most other people are sleeping in down bags... tiny feather fragments floating around. If an epi-pen is required to keep you alive when exposed to feathers, I would definitely stay out of shelters and sleep in a tent by myself! Then again, with all the down vests and jackets found on hiking trails, it would be dangerous to take up the hiking hobby.
If it's only a mild allergy, offset by sudafed, I'd still suggest not using down equipment of your own.

...and then I googled: First click
https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/2866/