PDA

View Full Version : Gas Perm Contact Lenses on the trail

eabyrd1506
07-22-2016, 19:13
One of my many challenges is a severe astigmatism that can only be offset (at least partially) with rigid gas-perm contact lenses.

Anyone have any tips for managing contacts on the trail. I plan on carrying several replacement pairs (at least they don't weigh much) but still, keeping them clean is going to be a chore.

Before you ask, no glasses don't work for me. My cornea's are so conical that I need the lens to help shape it so I can see.

20/30 ish with... 20/80 without

Hikes in Rain
07-22-2016, 20:40
Wash your hands before handling your lenses. I know you know that already, but we tend to forget or skimp when we're in the woods where it's not as convenient. I made a little wash basin from the bottom half of a gallon jug. (My whole cook kit happens to fit inside it, so it doesn't take up any space) If your water is fit to drink, it's good enough for handwashing. I also like the chamois type of little pack towels, reserved exclusively for your eyes. Used to take a terrycloth one, but found that once it got wet, it stayed that way and got nasty and heavy. Small mirror, even if you can insert your lenses without one, as I can. Never know when a gnat or something might get in your eye. Backup lenses and glasses both, for a belt and suspenders backup system. (I know you said glasses don't work, but I'm assuming you've got something that would work?) Other than that, just do the same things you do at home.

DuneElliot
07-22-2016, 21:26
My dad wears the same rigid lenses and we camp for a week at least once a year in the remote sections of Wyoming.

He manages just fine but is sure to keep his hands clean when he handles his lenses and takes care of his eyes so I think a small bowl (as mentioned above) and a hotel-style bar of soap would be recommended. A couple of pairs of backups would be enough, and maybe a copy of your prescription. My dad swears by a good headlamp for dealing with them while out in the back country. He also suggests making sure you put them in inside your tent, over something that is in contrasting color to the tint of your lenses...I've had to look for them enough in the house and can concur with this.

I think you will be fine, just maintain good hygiene and wear sunglasses (or other protective eye-wear) when it's windy and dusty.

Engine
07-23-2016, 05:51
Hygeine has been mentioned twice in the first two posts and I'll take a third swing at that subject. My wife was wearing contacts during a hike a few years ago and ended up in the hospital with a nasty eye infection. It was no fun for her and could have been much worse if we hadn't been closer to the trail head. Just be anal about keeping everything sanitary.

runbikehike
07-23-2016, 09:51
Some good advice above as to sanitation. As a long-time contact wearer who now has to wear one contact only after cataract surgery, I also find it very helpful to use the mirror on my small Silva compass as an aid in removal-since it folds it's easy to prop on a knee to get the angle and height right. YMMV, but I seem to do better with a mirror.