PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new t-shirt

Joker4ink
07-23-2016, 01:30
Looking for some ideas for a new lightweight synthetic hiking t-shirt. I normally use and love Mountain Hardwear Wicked Lite t-shirt, but my other hiking shirt (North Face summit t-shirt) has finally fallen apart and I need to replace it. What lightweight t-shirt do you like?

Engine
07-23-2016, 05:47
Just about any lightweight running shirt I can find on the cheap. They are stupid light, breath well, and usually cost about 2/3 what you pay for a dedicated hiking shirt. Currently hiking in a Under Armor shirt I grabbed off the sale rack at Dick's.

Mouser999
07-23-2016, 06:18
Old Navy usually has wicking shirts cheap. That's a where I usually go first

cmoulder
07-23-2016, 06:35
OR Echo and also running shirts from BJs Wholesale Club or Walmart.

Zach ADK
07-23-2016, 08:59
Salvation Army and other thrift stores are where I get mine. $2-4 depending, and some appear to have never or only briefly been worn.
Zach

Puddlefish
07-23-2016, 09:27
Walmart Dry Star, $6, 5.13 oz. for a mens large. I have four of them in various colors. One is just starting to show signs of wear after thousands of hours of use.

DuneElliot
07-23-2016, 09:41
Cheap Walmart Danksin synthetic Dry Quick t-shirts. I have a couple of them and they work really well and only cost a few bucks. I don't bother with expensive stuff...I want it to last one season because I'll be wanting a change next hiking season anyway.

Slo-go'en
07-23-2016, 09:51
Cheap Walmart Danksin synthetic Dry Quick t-shirts. I have a couple of them and they work really well and only cost a few bucks. I don't bother with expensive stuff...I want it to last one season because I'll be wanting a change next hiking season anyway.

Yep, the department stores are starting to carry nice synthetic shirts at a fraction of the cost of name brand outdoor clothing. The problem with Walmart is there is no consistency with what they carry, plus it's seasonal and regional.

DuneElliot
07-23-2016, 10:03
The problem with Walmart is there is no consistency with what they carry, plus it's seasonal and regional.

I've never been to a Walmart that didn't have an athletic clothes section...some are smaller, some are larger sections but they all have one. I've never had an issue looking for new shirts, and if there's something I really like then I buy a couple.

FreeGoldRush
07-23-2016, 10:05
Can someone offer an opinion on the best hiking shirt? I understand the strong bias towards low price, but I'd like to have a better understanding of the options and benefits.

thanks

Feral Bill
07-23-2016, 10:17
Can someone offer an opinion on the best hiking shirt? I understand the strong bias towards low price, but I'd like to have a better understanding of the options and benefits.

thanks Best? I like merino wool. I do not like a plasticy feel. Icebreaker, Smartwool etc. I buy on sale when I can.

Engine
07-23-2016, 11:03

thanks

Best for you might not be best for someone else. It would help if you listed the criteria you are looking for.

FreeGoldRush
07-23-2016, 11:24
Best for you might not be best for someone else. It would help if you listed the criteria you are looking for.

I'm new to this. Make a suggestion. I've enjoined day hikes all my life and in the past year have been doing 10+ mile day hikes with 3,000+ foot elevations. Merrel Moab shoes, wool hiking socks, and expensive underwear that does it's job are the extent of my specialized clothing. I'm using cotton shirts.

Heliotrope
07-23-2016, 11:32
I typically get fitness type quick drying shirts made by athletic companies. At discount clothing stores like TJ Maxx I can find them for 7-10$. Unlike the expensive, ill fitting hiking brand T shirts. I love merino wool but it takes too long to dry. I like to wash my T shirts on the trail. I reserve merino for my long sleeve base layer that I might sleep in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Engine
07-23-2016, 11:32
If you're going to be out for more than a few days, it's hard to beat a lightweight merino wool shirt. They perform well in a variety of conditions, they don't stink nearly as bad as some synthetics after a few days, and they dry almost as fast as a synthetic. The downside is they can be fragile and some are easily damaged in the washer. If you decide on wool, think Icebreaker or Paragonia and plan on spending $30-$60 depending on what you can find. If you go with synthetic, they can be crazy light and very tough, but often the smell will chase away everyone after a few sweaty days. Lots of manufacturers make good stuff, but like I said earlier, it's hard to beat a dedicated running shirt for hiking. Look for stuff from Adidas, Under Armor, Nike, etc...they're all pretty close in quality and price.

daddytwosticks
07-23-2016, 15:41
This ain't rocket science. It's a tee shirt. Just get what pleases you from a Wal-mart or Target and be done with it. Cheap as can be and very serviceable. Save all the research effort and shopping for the bigger ticket items like, tent, pack, etc. :)

Greenlight
07-23-2016, 16:42
I still have a couple of Army brown UA compression T's that work well for me. I like the compression because it seems to help in the humidity. For some reason, they've never taken on an odor, and it immediately wicks the sweat to my outer layer. That is where I may be weird. I like wearing a baggier button up travel shirt with a left breast zippered gadget pocket. Once the UA T shirt wicks away the sweat, the buttoned shirt grabs it and pulls it further to the outside. Being military, I've never been much concerned about being a little hotter because of the amount of fabric I'm wearing. Keep drinking that water, everything's gonna be alright.

Looking for some ideas for a new lightweight synthetic hiking t-shirt. I normally use and love Mountain Hardwear Wicked Lite t-shirt, but my other hiking shirt (North Face summit t-shirt) has finally fallen apart and I need to replace it. What lightweight t-shirt do you like?

-Rush-
07-24-2016, 02:56
I don't know about you, but I prefer to be plastered with brand name logos so I appear more astute on the trail. /sarcasm

Joker4ink
07-24-2016, 07:54
This ain't rocket science. It's a tee shirt. Just get what pleases you from a Wal-mart or Target and be done with it. Cheap as can be and very serviceable. Save all the research effort and shopping for the bigger ticket items like, tent, pack, etc. :)

Apparently you are in the dark about differences between shirts. I look for features like gusseted armpits for mobility without restriction. Mesh back or side panels for increased ventilation. Anti microbial treated material, UPF protection, or flat stitched seams and not on shoulders. it's not rocket science but it does increase your comfort level by doing some research.

Christoph
07-24-2016, 10:48
I found a few Starter brand at Walmart that I liked the best (so far). 100% poly and they were under 10 bucks I think.

Tipi Walter
07-24-2016, 10:48
I'm particular when it comes to backpacking t-shirts as I live in them and spend 70% of all my backpacking time wearing a t-shirt so it must be comfortable, soft, light and not heavy, fast drying and all the rest. And a nice color!

My current favorite is the North Face Reaxion shirts as they are very soft so I bought several and won't need to dicker with t-shirts for a long while.

https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/mens-short-sleeve-reaxion-amp-crew
I especially like the Citrus Yellow model and bought several.

Here's my NF shirt in action on the South Fork Citico trail on a hot day in June. This one is Chive Green.
https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpack-2016-Trips-171/19-Days-in-a-Rattlesnake/i-mqXXSft/0/X2/Trip%20175%20362-X2.jpg

Secondmouse
07-24-2016, 10:59

thanks

I like a synthetic wicking shirt, snug but not skin tight, long enough to cover my butt crack when bent over, and with flat shoulder seams that aren't directly under my pack straps...

bigcranky
07-24-2016, 18:59
I prefer the lightest merino wool, soft and loose fitting. My last two have been Smartwool 150-weight short sleeve t-shirts. They are not cheap, but they are soft and comfortable, and they never start to smell bad.

Joker4ink
07-24-2016, 20:39
Thank you guys

John M
07-25-2016, 16:30
I'm particular when it comes to backpacking t-shirts as I live in them and spend 70% of all my backpacking time wearing a t-shirt so it must be comfortable, soft, light and not heavy, fast drying and all the rest. And a nice color!

My current favorite is the North Face Reaxion shirts as they are very soft so I bought several and won't need to dicker with t-shirts for a long while.

https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/mens-short-sleeve-reaxion-amp-crew
I especially like the Citrus Yellow model and bought several.

Here's my NF shirt in action on the South Fork Citico trail on a hot day in June. This one is Chive Green.

Great shirts. Bought one a while back and found myself wearing it constantly this summer. Around town, boating, fishing, hiking or whatever its been comfortable. Wore the same shirt 3 days in a row in the White Mountains and had no complaints. Felt like I needed some variety so I picked up a Citrus Yellow one at lunchtime today. FYI, cabelas has them on sale for $20 right now.

Maydog
07-25-2016, 17:33
I prefer the lightest merino wool, soft and loose fitting. My last two have been Smartwool 150-weight short sleeve t-shirts. They are not cheap, but they are soft and comfortable, and they never start to smell bad.

30% off at REI: https://www.rei.com/product/107842/smartwool-nts-150-pattern-tee-mens

cmoulder
07-26-2016, 06:13

Apparently you are in the dark about differences between shirts. I look for features like gusseted armpits for mobility without restriction. Mesh back or side panels for increased ventilation. Anti microbial treated material, UPF protection, or flat stitched seams and not on shoulders. it's not rocket science but it does increase your comfort level by doing some research.

MH Wicked Lite is still available (http://www.backcountry.com/mountain-hardwear-wicked-lite-t-shirt-short-sleeve-mens?CMP_SKU=MHW00DM&MER=0406&skid=MHW00DM-ELEYL-XL&CMP_ID=PLA_GOc001&mv_pc=r101&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PLA&mr:trackingCode=D9AE15B5-1CD5-E511-80F3-005056944E17&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=plaonline&gclid=Cj0KEQjwlNy8BRC676-W0JezxbwBEiQA4Ydg0emjGrDmYhDBOK5OW1BMHNpauUyOQtbKe g7C41PI5TsaAixI8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds); why not get another of those? Sounds as if you already know exactly what you're looking for.

Tipi Walter
07-26-2016, 09:21
Great shirts. Bought one a while back and found myself wearing it constantly this summer. Around town, boating, fishing, hiking or whatever its been comfortable. Wore the same shirt 3 days in a row in the White Mountains and had no complaints. Felt like I needed some variety so I picked up a Citrus Yellow one at lunchtime today. FYI, cabelas has them on sale for $20 right now.

I bought my first one last month and used it for a 19 day trip and knew it was a winner and so upon return I purchased 4 more because when you find a piece of gear which works, especially a t-shirt, it's best to buy in bulk as gear will be discontinued and esp t-shirts.

Here are some other t-shirts I've been thru in the last 15 years---

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpacking2010/16-Days-with-a-Miracle-Dog/i-DkqzmQ2/0/L/TRIP%20111%20024-L.jpg
I of course went thru the whole merino wool t-shirt phase (this one is Icebreaker) and while super soft and excellent they don't last long and get holes quickly and are heavy esp when wet and don't dry fast.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpack-2015-Trips-161/20-Days-on-Medicare/i-sMMMfvT/0/XL/TRIP%20166%20244-XL.jpg
Recently I've been using this blue North Face tee with a fancy back panel to allow faster drying but it's heavier than my North Face Reaxion tees and "feels like plastic".

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpacking2013-1/Green-Cove-Cabin/i-b5fdWLS/0/XL/TRIP%20147%20014-XL.jpg
Years ago I bought this North Face tee and it's super soft and super nice but was discontinued and lost forever until I found the current Reaxions.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpacking2013-1/Tipi-Walter-Slickrock/i-9WL8kPz/0/XL/Trip%20146%20133-XL.jpg
Here is another North Face tee model I used for a couple years but it's a little heavy and not super soft. North Face changes tee shirt names on a continual basis and I never remember the names.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpacking2012/20-Days-to-Panther-Branch-and/i-LDt6fj7/0/L/TRIP%20136%20212-L.jpg
And finally there's this Mt Hardwear tee I used for several years as I liked the color (and visible to hunters). Nice shirt but not super soft and a little heavy and hot feeling.

T-SHIRT TEST
It's all about "feeling hot" in a t-shirt. Many polyester shirts feel very hot. Okay in the winter, bad in the summer.

Rmcpeak
07-30-2016, 18:53
Patagucchi cap 1 tank worth every penny in my opinion. In 600 plus miles I have never not once even thought about it.