PDA

View Full Version : The Don's Brother Method---My Second Book

Don's Brother
07-23-2016, 22:23
My second book about my 2013 thru-hike has been published. The Don's Brother Method or How I Thru-Hiked the Appalachian Trail and Rarely Slept in the Woods is available at amazon and createspace.com/6129166. If you like to hike but don't care much for camping, this may be the book for you.

perrymk
07-24-2016, 07:54
Here is a link: The Don's Brother Method: How I Thru-Hiked the Appalachian Trail and Rarely Slept in the Woods (https://www.amazon.com/Dons-Brother-Method-Thru-Hiked-Appalachian/dp/1530473012/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469361042&sr=8-1&keywords=The+Don%27s+Brother+Method)

I've put it on my Wishlist.

It looks like something that would really interest me. I've section hiked over half the Florida Trail staying in motels every night. I'm not sure that's the approach I will take when I am able to thru the AT but it's nice having options.

Elaikases
07-24-2016, 16:07
Any idea when the Kindle version will be available?

Thanks!

Elaikases
07-24-2016, 16:10
And a link to the first book: https://www.amazon.com/Dons-Brother-Hike-Appalachian-Trail-ebook/

Don's Brother
08-11-2016, 19:01
Thank you very much for putting up the links! The Kindle version is now available.

ZsecHzia
08-22-2016, 21:09
"Unexpected excellence! The only book I've read to date that closely resembles the actual vision of "An Appalachian Trail - A Project in Regional Planning by Benton MacKaye" (read the "A Project for Development" section). "The Don's Brother Method", by Mike Stephens, embodies the spirit of Brenton MacKaye, therefore it should serve as a modern day model for present day and future day planning. A MUST READ for those who are passionate about the actual intent of the Appalachian Trail."

I believe DBM is going in the proper direction of what Brenton MacKaye had envisioned, thereby allowing for growth potential in the near future so that others may be drawn to the possibilities of Appalachian Trail exploration and betterment. Please read section "A Project for Development", specifically "2.Shelter Camps -", and "... a comfortable day's walk between each. They should be equipped always for sleeping and certain of them for serving meals ..." in the attached PDF file "An Appalachian Trail - A Project in Regional Planning by Benton MacKaye".

ZsecHzia
08-22-2016, 21:15
https://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs/default-document-library/2011/04/16/An%20Appalachian%20Trail-A%20Project%20in%20Regional%20Planning.pdf

FreeGoldRush
08-22-2016, 21:18
My second book about my 2013 thru-hike has been published. The Don's Brother Method or How I Thru-Hiked the Appalachian Trail and Rarely Slept in the Woods is available at amazon and createspace.com/6129166. If you like to hike but don't care much for camping, this may be the book for you.

Already have a copy. Just getting into it. thanks. :)

perrymk
09-04-2016, 09:49
I read the book in two sittings. The first on a flight to Scotland a week ago, the second on the flight home yesterday. The gist of the book is exactly what the title suggests, The Don's Brother Method or How I Thru-Hiked the Appalachian Trail and Rarely Slept in the Woods. It's more trail story than how-to manual although one can get enough information to see how the Don's-Brother-no-nights-on-trail method works and adapt it to one's own needs.
For those who have seen my occasional post in the Florida Trail section of this site, I have been section day hiking the FT using an electric bike to self-shuttle (plus occasional local shuttles) and staying in motels every night. It's a similar concept to what's in the book.
I read about a retired couple section hiking the FT using a minivan and motorcycle with a bumper rack to carry the motorcycle.
Also, there was a conversation a while back about self shuttling the AT either as a team (two cars leap frogging along the trail) or solo with a pickup and motorcycle along with various other scenarios.

The closest the author comes to mentioning cost is that it is well into five figures. So my sometimes analytical mind did some quick number crunching. Without referring to the book I seem to recall he took about 165 days, which sounds about right for a normal hiking pace. Consider the author carried a lighter than normal pack (emergency items plus day hiking needs) and ate in restaurants almost every meal.
Hopefully the formatting comes out OK.

cost per day

days

motel

food person 1

food person 2

gas car 1

gas car 2

$41250

These are my own estimates, not the author's. This assumes two hikers and some shared expenses. One could save a little money preparing more of one's own food and staying in cheaper accommodations. One could also spend a little more hiring shuttles if self shuttling were not an option and staying in separate motel rooms. Gear and vehicle maintenance not included. In any case this is not budget hiking nor was it presented as such.

As an aside, while I didn't make a note of typos or grammar errors, I seem to recall only one. I can't recall what it was though. At least for those of us that consider reading poor grammar with editing on par to an internet post equivalent to hearing fingernails on a chalkboard, it is a good read. Perhaps I dated myself there.

Overall I enjoyed the book.

Dogwood
09-04-2016, 11:30
"Unexpected excellence! The only book I've read to date that closely resembles the actual vision of "An Appalachian Trail - A Project in Regional Planning by Benton MacKaye" (read the "A Project for Development" section). "The Don's Brother Method", by Mike Stephens, embodies the spirit of Brenton MacKaye, therefore it should serve as a modern day model for present day and future day planning. A MUST READ for those who are passionate about the actual intent of the Appalachian Trail."

I believe DBM is going in the proper direction of what Brenton MacKaye had envisioned, thereby allowing for growth potential in the near future so that others may be drawn to the possibilities of Appalachian Trail exploration and betterment. Please read section "A Project for Development", specifically "2.Shelter Camps -", and "... a comfortable day's walk between each. They should be equipped always for sleeping and certain of them for serving meals ..." in the attached PDF file "An Appalachian Trail - A Project in Regional Planning by Benton MacKaye".

I did read that from Benton MacKaye. Didn't he also envision shelters in the AT trail system that one could stay at that didn't require bringing your own something like small group shelters/refugios or require not going a significant distance outside the trail system?

MuddyWaters
09-04-2016, 13:06
The only part Mackaye really got right, was a trail would be a good thing. And that he copied from the vermont Long Trail. People have shown a preference for a more wilderness experience , not mackayes vision of catered work camps. The reason that stuff didnt come to be, is because its not what anyone wanted.

But some obviously prefer the un- wild euro way, hike a trail, sleep in a lodge at night. Whatever floats your boat, but thats not what AT is. Thankfully. Except in certain populous areas like whites unfortunately.

-Rush-
09-05-2016, 00:38
Hopefully the formatting comes out OK.

cost per day
days

motel

food person 1

food person 2

gas car 1

gas car 2

$41250

$50 a day for food? That seems a bit high. In any case, take the $40k and go to Vegas first.

perrymk
09-05-2016, 04:35
Eating three meals per day, almost all restaurant food, and throw in a hiker appetite. I was concerned $50 per day might not be enough!

Don's Brother
10-16-2016, 20:48
Way overestimated for my hike. I'm not disclosing an exact amount, but it was considerably under $20,000.

Don's Brother
10-16-2016, 20:50
My first book, "Don's Brother: A Hike of Hope on the Appalachian Trail," is free at Kindle unlimited now.