PDA

View Full Version : Finding a place to try on packs --

Elaikases
07-24-2016, 21:33
I've got a pack that is extremely comfortable.

I've used and tried a lot of them that are not.

I love my Gregory Baltoro 65, but at 5 lbs I'm getting the feeling that it is probably too heavy for a longer hike.

So I'm looking at lighter packs, but I don't want to have to do a trial and error approach until I find one that is comfortable, so I'm trying to find a way to try on packs with weight like I can at REI, but with packs that they don't have (they have the Osprey Exos 58 Pack but not much else). That knocks off two pounds, but at the price of not being as comfortable. I've done up to fifty miles with the Gregory and it felt great from start to finish. Some of the packs I tried left me with pain before I completed a circuit of the store with only 20 lbs in them.

Anyway, appreciate any ideas of places I might drop in on when traveling or on vacation where I can try things like a Gossamer Gear Gorilla (where I could save another pound off an Osprey).

I'm not sure just how much importance to put on 2-3 pounds. I'm willing to carry the weight for comfort, but if I can get the same comfort with my personal build and body shape, I'd like to save the weight.

I just don't want to be like the guys in the books I read who go through 5-6 pairs of shoes and boots before they find something that works. With shoes it doesn't seem too bad, but with a back pack ... it seems rather rough.

Thanks again.

(Oh, and I've worked through several sets of shoes so far, including one that caused me to have patella problems and another that was showing tread wear at 60 miles, and a couple that did not stand up to rocks on the trail without beating my feet. I've put a couple hundred miles on my current shoes, plan to do some more with some real weight).

saltysack
07-24-2016, 21:47
I've got a pack that is extremely comfortable.

I've used and tried a lot of them that are not.

I love my Gregory Baltoro 65, but at 5 lbs I'm getting the feeling that it is probably too heavy for a longer hike.

So I'm looking at lighter packs, but I don't want to have to do a trial and error approach until I find one that is comfortable, so I'm trying to find a way to try on packs with weight like I can at REI, but with packs that they don't have (they have the Osprey Exos 58 Pack but not much else). That knocks off two pounds, but at the price of not being as comfortable. I've done up to fifty miles with the Gregory and it felt great from start to finish. Some of the packs I tried left me with pain before I completed a circuit of the store with only 20 lbs in them.

Anyway, appreciate any ideas of places I might drop in on when traveling or on vacation where I can try things like a Gossamer Gear Gorilla (where I could save another pound off an Osprey).

I'm not sure just how much importance to put on 2-3 pounds. I'm willing to carry the weight for comfort, but if I can get the same comfort with my personal build and body shape, I'd like to save the weight.

I just don't want to be like the guys in the books I read who go through 5-6 pairs of shoes and boots before they find something that works. With shoes it doesn't seem too bad, but with a back pack ... it seems rather rough.

Thanks again.

(Oh, and I've worked through several sets of shoes so far, including one that caused me to have patella problems and another that was showing tread wear at 60 miles, and a couple that did not stand up to rocks on the trail without beating my feet. I've put a couple hundred miles on my current shoes, plan to do some more with some real weight).

Just order the GG gorilla, ULA, etc....load out, try them & return the one that you dislike......I've done this with both and very happy thus far....ULA circuit has been great for several years. I just got the gorilla as I wanted to shave wt and volume.....most cottage mfg will let you return if not used outdoors......return shipping is cheap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elaikases
07-24-2016, 21:52
I did not realize that. Thank you.

Odd Man Out
07-24-2016, 23:37
This is a common paradox. Conventional wisdom is to have a pack fitted for you. People will tell you to try them on at the store. But innovative, lightweight packs by cottage companies are rarely if ever found in stores. One of these may be your best option but following conventional wisdom, no one would ever get one. I have an Elemental Horizons Kalais that I like very much. Zpacks and HYPERLIGHT Mountain Gear are other brands you see discussed often. You probably don't want to buy all of them. You could probably narrow down your choice a bit. Different packs fit different niches. Frameless, frameheet, and minimal frame packs each have different carrying capacities. How heavy will your load be? What volume do you need? Check out on line reviews. Also call or email the makers. You may be on the phone with the person who designed and will make your pack. These people are used to fitting people over the phone. Their business depends on good customer service.

DuneElliot
07-25-2016, 09:28
Check out Zimmberbuilt also, alongside ULA and the other cottage manufacturers. I wish I'd heard about them sooner, before I bought and couldn't return another pack. I will be buying my next back from them

KY MISTWALKER
08-12-2016, 07:44
Thx for the info --

MuddyWaters
08-12-2016, 07:58
Just order the GG gorilla, ULA, etc....load out, try them & return the one that you dislike......I've done this with both and very happy thus far....ULA circuit has been great for several years. I just got the gorilla as I wanted to shave wt and volume.....most cottage mfg will let you return if not used outdoors......return shipping is cheap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++

Except the cheap shipping part. It adds up if your on budget and want to try several.

But its well worth it to get pack you will be happiest with.
IMO, only worthwhile place to try out a pack is your house, with your stuff.
Load it, walk around 30 minutes, pack it different ways.
Try the others. Cone back the next day and do it again.
Eventually you will discern what you like best.

But you do need to know what fits, what doesnt, whats comfortable, what you are looking for, etc. This is where newbies usually dont have a clue and must depend on usually clueless salespeople..

Same for shoes.

Traffic Jam
08-12-2016, 08:16
I've found that cottage manufacturers are easy to communicate with and are very helpful. Know your torso length, waist circumference, hiking style, gear weight, and physical limitations, and they will help select your pack.

(I generally don't return gear, it's nice to have extra. Gear that doesn't work for me gets passed on to my daughters to encourage them to get out and hike...hopefully with me.)

AfterParty
08-12-2016, 08:33
People did it with lots more not all that long ago. My packs right at 5 too. But 30 or less with food and water I feel nothing, no way I am switching packs. I have carried my share of uncomfortable packs and refuse to ever again. Other then rei not many options.

Sarcasm the elf
08-12-2016, 08:36
What I often do is to think of places I intend to travel to and search for outfitters in those ares that carry items I Want to see in person, then I put the idea on the back burner until I get there. When I wanted a UL pack I waited until Inwas visiting a friend in north Georgia and then stopped into Mountain Crossings at Neels Gap, I've done the same while visiting family around the country. If that is an option for you then I'd recommend it.

My other main option is to follow the advice that Saltysack and MuddyWaters give above. Most small manufacturers are very accomodating if you want to try on gear, so long as you return it in new condition. Small manufacturers are also very helpful if you call them with questions.