PDA

View Full Version : Dudley trail closed until 2018, Abol Trail reopened

peakbagger
07-25-2016, 16:02
FYI, these two trails ascend Katahdin. Dudley was mostly used by campers at Chimney Pond to make a loop of the summit including the Knife Edge. It also could be used to get off the Keep Ridge that runs east from Pamola if bad weather was coming in (but its still very exposed for much of its length). Its a very steep trail with a lot of bolder hopping. http://bangordailynews.com/2016/07/25/outdoors/katahdins-dudley-trail-closed-until-2018/

Abol trail makes a nice partial loop of the summit in combination with the Hunt Trail (the AT). Its about 2 mile dusty walk down the road from Kathadin Stream (it usually an easy hitch).

This is older article about the relocation http://bangordailynews.com/2015/08/05/outdoors/new-abol-trail-up-katahdin-scheduled-to-open-next-year/.

somers515
07-20-2022, 18:57
Old thread but wanted to give an update about Dudley trail and this thread seemed appropriate. After camping at Chimey Pond I went up Dudley, over Knife's Edge, then down Saddle. This was Monday July 18, 2022 and my son and I had had excellent weather and a great hike. We both really loved the view of Katahdin from Chimney Pond (so if you are in the area don't skip the view from the pond) and the Knife's Edge was a lot of fun. Bring all the water you want for the day if you do the same loop as the only water I saw on Dudley was close to the campground and the only water I saw on Saddle was also close to the campground.

Dudley as noted above has been relocated so instead of .9 miles to Pamola peak, it is now 1.9 miles. It is still pretty darn steep so I can barely imagine how steep it was before the relocation. I recall some decent rock scrambling that required me to pull myself up.

The old wisdom was don't plan to descend Dudley but I think that was based on the old route and met a few hikers who said that you could descend it.

Also the Baxter official maps still show the old Dudley route but the new route is definitely in place.

Hope this helps someone!

peakbagger
07-20-2022, 19:47
There is usually a reliable spring called the Saddle Spring not that far away from the upper junction of the Saddle trail and the Hamlin Ridge trail. The standard dayhike loop from Chimney Pond was up Cathedral (as it was very much recommended as an upwards only trail), over the Knife Edge to Pamola and down Dudley. The old lower Dudley was mostly boulders with eroded gravel chutes.

somers515
07-21-2022, 17:31
There is usually a reliable spring called the Saddle Spring not that far away from the upper junction of the Saddle trail and the Hamlin Ridge trail. The standard dayhike loop from Chimney Pond was up Cathedral (as it was very much recommended as an upwards only trail), over the Knife Edge to Pamola and down Dudley. The old lower Dudley was mostly boulders with eroded gravel chutes.

Interesting! Thanks peakbagger - I'll have to look for that spring next time.

If I am lucky enough to camp at Chimeny Pond again I think I will go up Cathedral and over to and down Hamlin Ridge so I check out a new peak and 2 new trails. Also want to check out the North Basin - it looked amazing.

peakbagger
07-22-2022, 08:43
The area of Katahdin north of the Saddle is a far different experience than the popular area of the mountain. Hamlin Ridge would be an attraction worth driving to if it was a separate destination. It is overshadowed by the Knife Edge but is still a very special hike (nothing like it in the Whites). The North Peaks trail and the Northwest Basin is the realm of backpackers not day hikers and far fewer of them. In general, BSP is best experienced over 5 to 7 days, folks who are just out to hike to the AT terminus miss out on so much. IMHO, the Brothers/Coe Loop, Doubletop, The Travelers Loop along with visiting Hamlin and the northern areaa of Katahdin are cant misses. BTW there is also Caribou Spring at the unction of the Hamlin Ridge Trail and the Northwest Basin trail that usually is reliable.

somers515
07-22-2022, 19:29
Thanks again peakbagger! Last year I hiked the Travelers loop. From the hiker sign-in/sign-out sheet I could tell I was one of only 4 hikers all day on that loop. It was perfect Fall weather and just an amazing hike.

Again on this trip (4 days/3 nights) Baxter was magnificent and I will definitely be back and you just added to my bucket list! : )