PDA

View Full Version : Your privy style?

FreeGoldRush
07-25-2016, 16:42
While hiking up to McAfee Knob I stopped at the privy. It's very dark and damp inside and made of all wood, including the part you "sit" on. The damp wooden "seat" is the perfect spot to grow any bacteria someone might carry in there with them.

So what method are you using? I can get over the gross factor, but it seems you may carry more to Katahdin than you had hoped.

egilbe
07-25-2016, 17:27
You touched the door handle and used your hand to reach into a bag of trail mix to eat, right? Yeah...

I'm not too worried about touching something that someones skin has touched after everything else I've done on the AT and while hiking.

Slo-go'en
07-25-2016, 17:36
If you don't have a good immune system, you should probably stay home.

Slowly but surely, the privies are being converted to moldering/composting types and are typically much more "airy" then the older, poop in a hole type.

Engine
07-25-2016, 17:53
It's kinda funny, in a public restroom I make every effort to touch as little as possible, but on the trail I tend not to worry unless it's over the top gross.

Lone Wolf
07-25-2016, 17:57
i don't use privys. they're nasty as heck. use the woods. there's millions of acres around you

-Rush-
07-25-2016, 18:09
i don't use privys. they're nasty as heck. use the woods. there's millions of acres around you

+1

I knew the first time I saw a privy I'd never use them. Disgusting is putting it lightly.

Greenlight
07-25-2016, 18:58
Place one foot on either side of the hole in the privy and bend at the knees until your @ is over the O. You are now in the anatomically correct pooping position, as designed by God/Fate/3 billion years of evolution. If you're of the male persuasion, make sure your little guy is looking into the hole so you don't spray the door or the floor. Now the only part of of you that has touched the privy is the bottoms of your footwear.

Skyline
07-25-2016, 18:58

And you can add most shelters to that.

MuddyWaters
07-25-2016, 19:24
I always thought natural surfaces were more hygenic than manmade

tflaris
07-25-2016, 19:28
Catholes are more fun and a challenge to hit the hole! ; )

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Odd Man Out
07-25-2016, 19:43
I always thought natural surfaces were more hygenic than manmade

Yes +1. There was a study I read a while back comparing plastic and wood cutting boards. In controlled studies the wood had less bacteria than the plastic. We all are familiar with the stink resistance of merino wool compared to nylon, also due to its natural anti microbial property. I'm not saying you should eat off a privy seat, but I would not assume it is particularly contaminated because it's wood. Almost every week there is a story on the news about how any germs there are on something you use every day. But this shouldn't be news. There are germs everywhere. Wash your hands and don't worry.

FreeGoldRush
07-25-2016, 19:50
Yes +1. There was a study I read a while back comparing plastic and wood cutting boards. In controlled studies the wood had less bacteria than the plastic. We all are familiar with the stink resistance of merino wool compared to nylon, also due to its natural anti microbial property. I'm not saying you should eat off a privy seat, but I would not assume it is particularly contaminated because it's wood. Almost every week there is a story on the news about how any germs there are on something you use every day. But this shouldn't be news. There are germs everywhere. Wash your hands and don't worry.

This depends entirely on the type of wood. Pine or Black Walnut are good at killing bacteria. Pine? Not so much.

Also keep in mind that the skin on your hands is not nearly as porous as that on the more tender parts of your body. Touching the door handle is nothing compared to... Well.... Use your imagination.

FreeGoldRush
07-25-2016, 20:06
This depends entirely on the type of wood. Pine or Black Walnut are good at killing bacteria. Pine?

Typo. Bamboo kills bacteria. They make cutting boards from it. But not a privy.

Hangfire
07-26-2016, 02:06
I never cared for the wooden toilet seats, I remember somewhere up in New Hampshire had a wooden chair with a hole cut in the middle I guess trying to be cool and unique or something. For some reason it just looked like they were super grungy as the wood will just soak up all the filth. I liked the plain old white toilet seats, if they looked skidded up I would hit it with a coleman biodegradable wipe before planting myself. I kept my trips into the woods to dig a hole at a minimum, I guess I was more concerned with lyme disease than privy germs.

Leo L.
07-26-2016, 04:14
Place one foot on either side of the hole in the privy and bend at the knees until your @ is over the O. You are now in the anatomically correct pooping position, as designed by God/Fate/3 billion years of evolution. If you're of the male persuasion, make sure your little guy is looking into the hole so you don't spray the door or the floor. Now the only part of of you that has touched the privy is the bottoms of your footwear.

And the next person using the privy will thank you for leaving your muddy footprints on the seat...

If you already have your trail legs, you should be able to just hoover over the fithy seat.
I would not be overly concerned about outdoors privy germs, your body should easily be able to deal with them.
Its areas that are (half-hearted?) sanitized on a regular basis that are prone to host super-germs.

ChuckT
07-26-2016, 05:10
Add it to your resume: "I survived the privy at xmxmxm Shelter on the AT."?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

chknfngrs
07-26-2016, 08:04
i only use privies if I have to, which is almost never. I much prefer a nice hidden spot somewhere in the middle of the woods.

hikernutcasey
07-26-2016, 08:23
I don't think many will debate the fact that privies are absolutely disgusting. I try to avoid them but if camping around a shelter I usually use them since those areas are high use areas. I always wash my hands afterwards (small dab of organic soap I carry with me) to try and kill anything I may have carried out that I didn't have when I went in. Yuck.

Ktaadn
07-26-2016, 09:30
And the next person using the privy will thank you for leaving your muddy footprints on the seat...

If you already have your trail legs, you should be able to just hoover over the fithy seat.
I would not be overly concerned about outdoors privy germs, your body should easily be able to deal with them.
Its areas that are (half-hearted?) sanitized on a regular basis that are prone to host super-germs.

Don't hover. Greenlight was absolutely right about a full squat being the correct anatomical position for getting the job done.

As for privies, I've always been more concerned about the giant spiders living in there than I am about everything else. I will sometimes use one in the winter, but generally avoid them in the warmer months.

tiptoe
07-26-2016, 13:52
The privies in NH maintained by the Dartmouth Outing Club are minor architectural wonders. They made me laugh more than once.

MisterQ
07-26-2016, 14:38
I typically grit my teeth and use the privys. I don't carry a trowel and find it a pain to dig the proper size cathole with a trekking pole. Depending on the condition of the seat I might hover. Luckily I am a regular guy and take care of business quickly, one of my finest attributes. Always wash and sanitize hands after.

FreeGoldRush
07-26-2016, 15:36
A few weeks ago I walked up to the Icewater Springs Shelter privy in the Smokies and it was humming and buzzing. There were flying insects going crazy by the thousands. I kept trying to determine if they were mostly bees or flies, but was being careful since we saw a bunch of Yellowjackets earlier on the trail.

Has anyone ever had to avoid a shelter due to it being occupied by the local wildlife, whether a snake, bees, etc?

Berserker
07-26-2016, 15:50
Yep, this ^ Just make sure to bury that sucker, or at least get far enough out in the woods that no one will step on it. Then either pack out the TP or bury that junk.

I only use them if absolutely necessary, which means:

I'm at a hut in the Whites, or some other location that would require significant work to find a secluded spot in the woods
It's raining cats and dogs
I'm super arse tired and don't feel like walking anywhere or digging a hole

Kaptainkriz
07-26-2016, 17:25
https://youtu.be/YbYWhdLO43Q

Sarcasm the elf
07-26-2016, 18:15
My privy style is to first check the ceiling for paperwasp nests before starting business. I learned that the hard way in NJ a while back.

And yes I hover, it's easy enough to do with a little practice. I'm not the biggest fan of privies, but most of my hiking is in busy areas in the Northeast and I support the idea of concentrating use in these areas.

4shot
07-26-2016, 19:32
so...if no one is using the privies, why were some of them filled to capacity or even sporting the dreaded volcano protruding slightly above the seat level?? I guess those people don't post here on WB.

If you are a trail maintainer and have ever been involved in cleaning a trail privy AND happen by chance to read this, please note that I pray all of the Almighty's greatest blessings upon you.That is a level of service to one's fellow man that I aspire to, but have yet been unable to achieve. Although I have shared some Snickers and band aids and fuel and stuff with others. but that ain't nearly the same as what y'all do and I readily confess my shortcomings publicly here on this board.

Sarcasm the elf
07-26-2016, 20:08
so...if no one is using the privies, why were some of them filled to capacity or even sporting the dreaded volcano protruding slightly above the seat level?? I guess those people don't post here on WB.

Much the same as how the weight of the average pack carried by a hiker on the A.T. Always seems to be 10-15lbs heavier than the average pack weight stated on this or other online forums. :rolleyes:

swjohnsey
07-26-2016, 20:58
Are y'all telling me there are germs on the AT?

egilbe
07-27-2016, 05:56
Are y'all telling me there are germs on the AT?

Nope. Only in the privies, apparently

Connie
07-27-2016, 06:12
I saw a barf emoji here, in this forum once.

Who has it? I need it.

bstiffler
07-27-2016, 06:31
Catholes are more fun and a challenge to hit the hole! ; )

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I heard rumors of someone named poopsocks when I was out but never met them. I assumed it was some cathole misadventure but never really found out.

Old_Man
07-27-2016, 10:23
A few weeks ago I walked up to the Icewater Springs Shelter privy in the Smokies and it was humming and buzzing. There were flying insects going crazy by the thousands. I kept trying to determine if they were mostly bees or flies, but was being careful since we saw a bunch of Yellowjackets earlier on the trail.

Has anyone ever had to avoid a shelter due to it being occupied by the local wildlife, whether a snake, bees, etc?

The flies are one of the main reasons I stay away from privys. I mean...they land all over you while you're sitting there...I generally only use them if it's raining out. I much prefer to duck off trail a bit and find a nice secluded spot to take nature's call.

LittleRock
07-27-2016, 12:26
Entry from the log at War Spur Shelter in VA this spring: "Got stuck in the privy for a few hours until help arrived -_-".

I thought it was a joke but later caught up to the hiker who wrote it and confirmed it actually happened. Apparently several shelters in Central VA have privies where the latch can catch on the outside if you shut the door too hard, trapping you inside.

Lnj
07-27-2016, 12:29
Entry from the log at War Spur Shelter in VA this spring: "Got stuck in the privy for a few hours until help arrived -_-".

I thought it was a joke but later caught up to the hiker who wrote it and confirmed it actually happened. Apparently several shelters in Central VA have privies where the latch can catch on the outside if you shut the door too hard, trapping you inside.

That would be the end of the line for me. Claustrophobia and in a poop hole. The END.

Hangfire
07-27-2016, 14:05

That sounds like a tale to me...I'm sure it would be possible for the latch to close from the outside but most privy doors are nothing more than a sheet of plywood with a screen door latch or a small spinning block of wood that you could kick open with little effort. While I think we all would be horrified to be trapped in a privy, unless someone was physically holding the door or barricaded you in there it wouldn't take much to get out if it were just the latch holding you in.

egilbe
07-27-2016, 20:12
Half the time, I never close the doors.

Sarcasm the elf
07-27-2016, 20:21
Half the time, I never close the doors.

On the older style privies I never close the doors all the way, otherwise there isn't enough light to see what I'm doing!

illabelle
07-27-2016, 21:39
That sounds like a tale to me...I'm sure it would be possible for the latch to close from the outside but most privy doors are nothing more than a sheet of plywood with a screen door latch or a small spinning block of wood that you could kick open with little effort. While I think we all would be horrified to be trapped in a privy, unless someone was physically holding the door or barricaded you in there it wouldn't take much to get out if it were just the latch holding you in.

I have no trouble believing it. Don't remember where we were, maybe somewhere in SNP in late fall, not many people on the trail. We were at a shelter and went to visit the privy. It was locked from the inside, but no one was around. We found a saw blade in the shelter and used it to slip between the door and the jamb to lift the latch that had fallen into place on the inside. Wasn't likely, but it did happen. I imagine getting accidentally locked in could happen as well.

Alligator
07-27-2016, 22:07
Half the time, I never close the doors.I put a rock down so the door doesn't close all the way. Usually one right there.

Mr. Bumpy
07-27-2016, 22:13
Supposedly there was a guy a few years back that got the trail name Sock-in-Hole

daddytwosticks
07-28-2016, 07:12
Most of the crappers I've seen have no door. But I have only hiked in Georgia, TN, and NC. In fact, most of the newer type look to be handicapped accessible with ramps and grab handles. :)

JumpMaster Blaster
07-28-2016, 09:46

Ahh, the old "squat and hover". We ladies have perfected that technique out of pure necessity.

Sarcasm the elf
07-28-2016, 12:27
Most of the crappers I've seen have no door. But I have only hiked in Georgia, TN, and NC. In fact, most of the newer type look to be handicapped accessible with ramps and grab handles. :)

As I understand it, the new ones are ADA compliant because it's cheaper and easier to build them that way than it is to get an exemption. I'm not going to complain about it though, I greatly enjoy the extra space.

FreeGoldRush
07-28-2016, 13:53
As I understand it, the new ones are ADA compliant because it's cheaper and easier to build them that way than it is to get an exemption. I'm not going to complain about it though, I greatly enjoy the extra space.

It is comical to see a privy with handicap rails that is miles from the nearest road. Someone had to carry those steel handicap rails out there.. When you dig a 6 to 8 inch hole in the woods and poop in it, did you just illegally construct a privy without handicap rails? You shudder to think of the consequences.

Sarcasm the elf
07-28-2016, 14:09
It is comical to see a privy with handicap rails that is miles from the nearest road. Someone had to carry those steel handicap rails out there.. When you dig a 6 to 8 inch hole in the woods and poop in it, did you just illegally construct a privy without handicap rails? You shudder to think of the consequences.

You don't install rails on your catholes? How do you keep from falling in?

Bronk
07-29-2016, 11:37
That's what fire rings are for.

QiWiz
07-30-2016, 21:49
I'm not too worried about touching something that someones skin has touched after everything else I've done on the AT and while hiking.

Well put. If a privy is really disgusting and I'm not desperate, I have been known to hike on well away from camp and dig a cathole well away from the trail. I have a trowel that makes this an easy chore as it turns out.