PDA

View Full Version : ULA Circuit vs Granite Gear Crown VC 60

lilbear
07-27-2016, 03:45
Hi all,

Looking to shed some weight by trading in my Osprey Ariel for a lighter pack. My baseweight now (including pack) is roughly 18lbs for fall, closer to 16lbs when it's warm enough to use my light sleeping bag.

I'm petite (5', 100lbs), so trying packs on in stores doesn't usually happen since few places stock the short packs and/or small belts. Wondering what people's experiences have been with either of these packs:

ULA Circuit
Granite Gear Crown VC 60

I've read quite a few reviews both here and elsewhere on the interwebs, so I think I've got a good overview of both. That, however, has stirred up a couple questions.

My biggest concerns are

Lack of ventilation. Seems like maybe a little less of an issue with the GGC. May be my biggest/only concern with ULA
Collapsing of the frame - I've only read this about the GGC because of the type of frame used
Lack of pockets - again more of an issue with GGC; most reviews have not been great about the add-on pockets from GGC

I know a lot of this will boil down to fit, so I'll probably order both, load them, and get a feel for that. So any specific feedback from using these packs on longer trips or from smaller-statured folks would be particularly helpful.

Thanks!

lilbear
07-27-2016, 04:27
Sorry- correction. My baseweight for fall is about 14lbs, summer closer to 12 (again, including the weight of my Osprey pack).
Thanks.

Don H
07-27-2016, 07:06
I actually own both of these packs. I gave the ULA Circuit to my son and kept the GGCV for myself. What I didn't like about the Circuit was the minimal shoulder strap padding. I found it very uncomfortable.

I've carried 30+ pounds in both and never had a problem with the frame. Both (like most internal frames) have little or no ventilation for your back.
Both packs had sufficient side pockets for me. I did add the two hip belt pockets to the GGCV.

Engine
07-27-2016, 07:09
I've never worn either pack, but I do have a Granite Gear Vapor Trail (forerunner to the VC 60) and it's a great pack. Super comfortable when total loads are kept at or below 25 pounds. It will carry 30+, but I notice the pack a lot more at that point. As for your concerns:

1. It is a sweaty pack in hot weather (why I'm going with a Zpacks Arc Haul for next years SOBO thru hike)
2. As I stated above, the load limit is pretty clear if you go over that amount the pack deforms some.
3. The VC 60 adds a front pocket, but that was were I always lashed the tent on to the Vapor Trail, so it would be no use for me anyway. I did wish I had more storage options.

Given your concerns, you might look at the Arc Haul from Zpacks (I have no interest in the company btw). The arc design keeps the pack off your back for good ventilation, it is actually an external frame so it will not collapse, there is a large front mesh pocket and many options for adding external storage. Yes, it is costly when compared to ULA or GG packs, but it solves many issues inherent in those models.

daddytwosticks
07-27-2016, 07:10
If ventilation is a big concern, check out the various lightweight packs that have trampoline style harnesses. For mainstream manufacturers, check out the Osprey Exos series. Zpacks also has this style of pack. Good luck. :)

swjohnsey
07-27-2016, 07:33
One of them is made in China.

ggreaves
07-27-2016, 07:33
What I didn't like about the Circuit was the minimal shoulder strap padding. I found it very uncomfortable.

It sounds like the pack didn't fit correctly. If the torso length is right, almost all the weight is on your hips. You should be able to slip your hand in between your shoulder strap and shoulder with little effort. The shoulder strap's main job is stabilizing the load and keeping it snug against your body. Did the strap bother you on your shoulders? Or was it on your chest that it was uncomfortable?

mankind117
07-27-2016, 08:45
I had the Crown (and the ULA catalyst the big brother of the Circuit). The crown *could* be a really nice pack. It has a very flexible framesheet but no stays. The framesheet is so flexible that it collapses under its own weight. What this means is that to keep if vertically rigid it relies on being packed with stuff, otherwise of tries to bow out and collapse. The upshot of this is that when the pack is packed well within the weight limit the crown was very, very comfortable. The problem is that if you don't pack is carefully the frame can collapse. I actually found it better as a winter pack simply because you had more "stuff". In the end I sold it after about a year of use. I had very mixed feelings about it. Sometimes I wish I had kept it, in the right conditions it could be really nice.

Don H
07-27-2016, 09:50
My ULA had one aluminum stay as part of the frame sheet so maybe that makes a difference.

greaves; If you compare both pack's shoulder straps it is quite obvious that the ULA's straps have only about 1/4 of the padding that the GGCV does. If find more padding is helpful for all day, day after day hiking with close to maximum weight even with proper fit. For a weekend hike, maybe t's not so important.

DuneElliot
07-27-2016, 10:13
I'm also petite (slender, not short) at 5'5" and 110lbs. Unfortunately I can't give much comparison between the two packs but I did research them both.

I originally had (and still have) a ZPacks Arc Haul but found that for such a small person that I had some issues with the cross-bar along my back which the belt was attached to. I couldn't feel the bar itself, but the lack of flex gave me issues. I did like ventilation and everything else about this pack though so am looking for ways to work around the bar issue.

I recently received a new ULA Circuit and have loaded it up around the house and while it is definitely a different fit to the Arc Haul I found it to be very comfortable...took a bit of getting used to after the fit of the Haul. It has the same amount of padding as the Arc Haul in the shoulder straps which I found to be just fine, if you have the pack fitted correctly ie not hanging off your shoulders. The belt fit better also as I found I could snug it around my hips in a better position than the Arc Haul.

I'm guessing you are female due to your size and Osprey pack. What I like about the Circuit (and the Arc Haul) was the dual belt straps and the ability to fit it over your hips with two straps each side vs one on the GGC, which as a female with hips was nice. I also found that I the S-straps on the Circuit to fit me better overall than J-straps (which the GGC Ki looks like it has).

These two packs were actually my top two contenders as well but what sold me on the Circuit were the better side water-bottle pockets, large mesh pocket, shoulder strap design and belt pockets with the dual strap system.

Make sure to measure your torso (not your height) and I would order both packs and send back the one you don't like as much. I have a Med torso and small belt on the Circuit and the belt is almost too big, but an X-Small wouldn't give me the padding where I want it.

yaduck9
07-27-2016, 10:52
Hi all,

Looking to shed some weight by trading in my Osprey Ariel for a lighter pack. My baseweight now (including pack) is roughly 18lbs for fall, closer to 16lbs when it's warm enough to use my light sleeping bag.

I'm petite (5', 100lbs), so trying packs on in stores doesn't usually happen since few places stock the short packs and/or small belts. Wondering what people's experiences have been with either of these packs:

ULA Circuit
Granite Gear Crown VC 60

I've read quite a few reviews both here and elsewhere on the interwebs, so I think I've got a good overview of both. That, however, has stirred up a couple questions.

My biggest concerns are

Lack of ventilation. Seems like maybe a little less of an issue with the GGC. May be my biggest/only concern with ULA
Collapsing of the frame - I've only read this about the GGC because of the type of frame used
Lack of pockets - again more of an issue with GGC; most reviews have not been great about the add-on pockets from GGC

I know a lot of this will boil down to fit, so I'll probably order both, load them, and get a feel for that. So any specific feedback from using these packs on longer trips or from smaller-statured folks would be particularly helpful.

Thanks!

I own a GG Nimbus Meridian. But, I just got a GG Lutsen 55. I ordered and tried on a GG Crown, but I have an odd shaped torso where i need a large shoulder straps but a medium pack. So the GG Crown was not comfortable, for me. The GG Lutsen is quite adjustable and I was able to get a good fit ( almost as good as the Nimbus Meridian ).

The frame of the Lutsen is completely different from the GG Crown and is quite robust. Its not going to collapse with a reasonable load.

You can E mail GG with a question and I got a response the same day. It is made in Vietnam. A bit heavy at 45 oz ( ULA Circut 39 oz ).

i hope that does not lead to decision paralysis.

Odd Man Out
07-27-2016, 12:10
Have you considered an Elemental Horizons Kalais? It has an internal stay like the Circuit and about the same size, but is a little lighter. Nice double adjustments on the hip belt. No problem for me with the shoulder straps (pretty much all the weight is on the hips). Load lifters work well. My base weight is about the same as yours (12 to 14 lbs). But I have taken a couple hikes with too much food and a lot of water (dry trail). Pack carried well.

clusterone
07-27-2016, 12:45
I have a few hiking buddies who have the ULA Circuit, it is a solid pack. You might also consider a Zpacks pack. I can not say enough about my Arc Haul, nor the crew at Zpacks.

http://zpacks.com/backpacks/arc_haul.shtml

DuneElliot
07-27-2016, 12:46
Have you considered an Elemental Horizons Kalais? It has an internal stay like the Circuit and about the same size, but is a little lighter. Nice double adjustments on the hip belt. No problem for me with the shoulder straps (pretty much all the weight is on the hips). Load lifters work well. My base weight is about the same as yours (12 to 14 lbs). But I have taken a couple hikes with too much food and a lot of water (dry trail). Pack carried well.

That does look like a great pack, and is definitely lighter, but the volumes are quite different. 42L total (all pockets and main compartment) for a small Kalais vs 60L for a Small Circuit (my Medium Circuit is 65L). That is quite a big difference. The EH Aquilo pack is more similar in volume and weight, although still only 50L.

-Rush-
07-27-2016, 14:10
I've carried both a Circuit and an Osprey Atmos on long-distance treks. You're back is going to get sweaty no matter what pack you use, so I wouldn't base my decision solely on that detail. I love my Circuit, but also keep in mind that Osprey has the best customer service of any company out there. They replaced my pack and rain cover free of charge after informing them that a hostel bent the frame transporting it. I also met a guy on the trail that had his 8-year old Atmos fail due to what Osprey determined was "dry rot from non-usage" and they sent him a brand new one free of charge. It doesn't get any better than that. Their Exos line, if you can get past the horrible color choices, are just as light and functional as any other pack. A saw a guy carrying the GGVC60 and was changing it out for something smaller at the NOC when I passed thru. He was looking at the Exos line as a replacement. HYOH!

JC13
07-27-2016, 14:27
Another cheap option is to look at the SMD 2014 Fusion model. $100 + $25 for the small hip belt. I carried 50 lbs in it like a dummy and it stayed pretty comfortable. Once I dropped the excess it was great. My wife tried it on with 30 lbs in it and loved it once we had it adjusted. She still ended up with an Osprey though as she needed a pack at Neel Gap.

colorado_rob
07-27-2016, 14:46
I've carried both a Circuit and an Osprey Atmos on long-distance treks. You're back is going to get sweaty no matter what pack you use, so I wouldn't base my decision solely on that detail. I love my Circuit, but also keep in mind that Osprey has the best customer service of any company out there. Yes, Osprey certainly does have remarkable customer service (they replaced my wife's Osprey that had been destroyed by a bear, strictly our own fault), but I've had similar outstanding customer service from ULA as well. I had a bad zipper on my OHM 2.0, and the ULA guy had a new one in the mail for me, scot-free and instantly (and this included the entire waistbelt assembly).

Never owned a GG anything, I hear they are excellent packs, but my wife and I are absolutely sold on ULA packs (Ohm's, not Circuits, but very similar), after having used Osprey's for many years (an Atmos, a Hornet, a Talon, 2 Exos's and an Aether).

DuneElliot
07-27-2016, 14:47
Also, have you looked at Zimmerbuilt...he can build you a completely custom pack, just for your size and specs. That will be my next pack purchase, when I have time to wait for one.

Odd Man Out
07-27-2016, 15:09
That does look like a great pack, and is definitely lighter, but the volumes are quite different. 42L total (all pockets and main compartment) for a small Kalais vs 60L for a Small Circuit (my Medium Circuit is 65L). That is quite a big difference. The EH Aquilo pack is more similar in volume and weight, although still only 50L.

I have seen reviews that claim the ULA volume specs are on the high side. Measuring pack volume is not very standardized. I was under the impression these packs were similar in size, but I have not seen them side by side. It would be interesting to compare actual capacities in a real world setting. My last hike was just three days in the summer, so the gear and food backs were relatively compact. My pack was pretty empty.

colorado_rob
07-27-2016, 15:15
I have seen reviews that claim the ULA volume specs are on the high side. Measuring pack volume is not very standardized. I was under the impression these packs were similar in size, but I have not seen them side by side. It would be interesting to compare actual capacities in a real world setting.

I definitely think "65L" is exaggerated for the circuit. I'd call it a 50-55, right there with the OHM 2.0. I owned both (but returned the circuit), packed them both with the same kit that went into my old Atmos 50 and Exos 46 packs, and it was right there with them in size, maybe a tad larger with internal volume, hence my 50-55L guess for the real useful volume of the Circuit/OHM. The ULA packs do have HUGE size pockets and waist belt pockets and a large stretch pouch, all of which are very useful.

DuneElliot
07-27-2016, 15:20
I have seen reviews that claim the ULA volume specs are on the high side. Measuring pack volume is not very standardized. I was under the impression these packs were similar in size, but I have not seen them side by side. It would be interesting to compare actual capacities in a real world setting. My last hike was just three days in the summer, so the gear and food backs were relatively compact. My pack was pretty empty.

I'm going on what each website lists as specific capacities for their packs, listing each compartment or pocket separately and adding them together (both companies have it listed on their website separately and combined). The Arc Haul I have and the ULA Circuit are claimed to be about the same size (65 vs 62 L) and with my gear I would say that is accurate...it fits about the same so I wouldn't say their volume specs are wrong, just listed differently.

lilbear
07-29-2016, 19:17
WOW! Thanks, all, for the super helpful responses. Sorry to be MIA; I wasn't getting alerts on this posting to my email and therefore haven't logged on. I'm going to read all of these, and will be sure to follow up with more questions! Thanks!!

lilbear
07-29-2016, 20:28
Any experiences with the exped lightning series?

bigcranky
07-29-2016, 21:24
Just a quick plug for the Circuit. We've owned three. My wife got hers two years ago for a long hike, coming from a very comfortable but 4-pound Osprey. She's tried a LOT of lightweight packs over the years, and always went back to the Osprey, figuring that comfort was more important than weight in this case.

I talked her into trying the Circuit. It's available in several frame sizes, and the belt is adjustable up and down by a couple of inches to fine tune the torso size. S-curve shoulder straps are an option -- they look very much like the shoulder straps on her Osprey, and fit in the same way. She's 5-4, with a pretty short torso, btw.

We took it on a 3-day weekend hike, and she spent the first day making some adjustments, then didn't mention the pack the rest of the hike. When I asked her about it later, she said she'd totally forgotten she was wearing a new pack, and one that weighed half of her Osprey (empty).

She used it on a Long Trail thru in '14, then on a week long summer section last year, and on weekends ever since. The Osprey sit in the gear closet.

YMMV, of course, but the Circuit is a decent choice if it fits well.

scope422
08-20-2016, 09:24
Just going to throw my 2 cents in. I'll start by saying I have not tried the Circuit. As for the GG Crown, I tried a few packs and I settled on the Crown. Yes the frame buckles when empty but when you pack your gear in it, the frame is fine. This method works well in my opinion, very comfortable pack.