PDA

View Full Version : Hammock gear Burrow 20 input....

saltysack
07-27-2016, 07:40
Just sold my 15* down bag as I'm tired of getting wrapped up in a bag as I toss and turn. I'm 5'11" 210lbs and sleep on a large xtherm or xlite. Only have a 45* JRB quilt so this would be my go to from sept-may mainly in southeast.....if it's supposed to be well under freezing I'd probably opt to layer both quilts which wouldn't be any heavier than the bag I just sold....

My questions are.........
Regular length?
Regular width?
Over stuff needed?
Leaning on getting he foot box sewn shut as will be used in cooler weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hikingjim
07-27-2016, 08:03
I borrowed a standard length/width version from a friend to see if I liked it, and used it 3 nights. I am 6'4", so I knew it was going to be too short, but I think standard would be good for 5'11
I personally wouldn't have minded the extra width, and would probably go with that since you're a big enough guy

Overstuff? Depends if you want the bag itself to push colder temperatures. You can always use other elements instead (higher rated pad, different clothes, etc) to stretch it or add your 45 quilt like you said. So that's personal pref, but I wouldn't want to add a few ounces here because then you're stuck with that weight for any trip that needs more than your 45 quilt

saltysack
07-27-2016, 10:33
I borrowed a standard length/width version from a friend to see if I liked it, and used it 3 nights. I am 6'4", so I knew it was going to be too short, but I think standard would be good for 5'11
I personally wouldn't have minded the extra width, and would probably go with that since you're a big enough guy

Overstuff? Depends if you want the bag itself to push colder temperatures. You can always use other elements instead (higher rated pad, different clothes, etc) to stretch it or add your 45 quilt like you said. So that's personal pref, but I wouldn't want to add a few ounces here because then you're stuck with that weight for any trip that needs more than your 45 quilt

Thx....good points..I'm leaning toward reg length wide...thx. Was curious if the rating seemed accurate. I realize there are many variables as I've had a few cold nights in the 15* bag even 5-10* over rating with a solid base layer.

johnnybgood
07-27-2016, 14:22
I have a 20 deg. Burrow and believe it to be spot on accurate.

Secondmouse
07-27-2016, 15:03
Just sold my 15* down bag as I'm tired of getting wrapped up in a bag as I toss and turn. I'm 5'11" 210lbs and sleep on a large xtherm or xlite. Only have a 45* JRB quilt so this would be my go to from sept-may mainly in southeast.....if it's supposed to be well under freezing I'd probably opt to layer both quilts which wouldn't be any heavier than the bag I just sold....

My questions are.........
Regular length?
Regular width?
Over stuff needed?
Leaning on getting he foot box sewn shut as will be used in cooler weather.

if I was getting a quilt for below freezing weather, I would get one rated below the sustained temps I think I'd be encountering and wouldn't fool around with overstuffing.

personally, I'd size it to be able to wear insulating clothing inside but I wouldn't oversize it significantly as it won't be as efficient that way.

you say you toss and turn so drafts are your big concern. a sewn footbox is probably not a bad idea as I don't see you needing to open this up for cool weather...

saltysack
07-27-2016, 17:14
if I was getting a quilt for below freezing weather, I would get one rated below the sustained temps I think I'd be encountering and wouldn't fool around with overstuffing.

personally, I'd size it to be able to wear insulating clothing inside but I wouldn't oversize it significantly as it won't be as efficient that way.

you say you toss and turn so drafts are your big concern. a sewn footbox is probably not a bad idea as I don't see you needing to open this up for cool weather...

I assume by getting more down (overstuff) would equate to more warmth i.e. taking a 20* down a few more degree of temp range.

Secondmouse
07-27-2016, 18:59
I assume by getting more down (overstuff) would equate to more warmth i.e. taking a 20* down a few more degree of temp range.

as I understand it, there is an optimum volume/density formula, worked out over the years using various kinds of baffle construction, etc.. I've seen a chart but can't recall exactly where. and I have read studies that say overfilling up to some percent is beneficial but more than that number and it can actually be detrimental. it may even vary depending on the fill power, I don't know...

my advice above was based on your comment that you might want to layer this item and I didn't see the benefit in that case. but beyond that, if a company and their products have been shown to perform as they claim, I don't understand the logic in ordering something with a 20* rating and overstuffing, if what you really want is a lower rated item in the first place...

Maydog
07-29-2016, 13:26
Being 5'11", you are somewhat tall. I'd get the long just so you can be sure to snuggle all the way down into it on really cold nights and keep your legs straight.

steve0423
07-29-2016, 14:00
I’m 5’9” 175lbs I have the 20* regular/regular
I’m an “active sleeper” spending most of the night movingfrom one side to the other. If I wasordering another quilt I’d get the wide version because of this. I never considered myself a “cold sleeper”but I’ll wake up cold under my 20* quilt in mid to low 30* temps wearing baselayer socks and a beanie. Everything I’veread from other reviews seems to indicate spot on temp ratings. Also down in mine stunk like a wet dog forthe first dozen uses but its fine now

saltysack
07-29-2016, 14:44
I’m 5’9” 175lbs I have the 20* regular/regular
I’m an “active sleeper” spending most of the night movingfrom one side to the other. If I wasordering another quilt I’d get the wide version because of this. I never considered myself a “cold sleeper”but I’ll wake up cold under my 20* quilt in mid to low 30* temps wearing baselayer socks and a beanie. Everything I’veread from other reviews seems to indicate spot on temp ratings. Also down in mine stunk like a wet dog forthe first dozen uses but its fine now

I'm debating adding lil more fill...