PDA

View Full Version : A Walk in the Woods - The book

Lnj
07-27-2016, 14:00
I just have to share this embarrassing moment I just had, as I believe a great many of you will be able to appreciate it. I saw the movie and I liked it. It was entertaining to me. Obviously, not a documentary. I have just now gotten around to starting the book though... so I'm sitting in my local Zaxby's on my lunch break, all by myself, eating and reading and I'm no farther than the 2nd chapter in and I am seriously struggling not to choke on my food because I am trying desperately to chew and stifle an attack of really loud obnoxious gut laughter. My eyes were watering and I was giggling a little out loud because I couldn't help myself but my face had to be purple, while I was trying not to just bust out laughing. This book is hilarious!

For any late bloomers like myself that haven't read it yet, and I doubt there are many here, make a point to read this book. I'm barely into it and it's better than most of the books I've read in quite a while, and I am an avid reader. Totally worth your time, but the warning label should read: only read when alone or people will think you are a psycho.

-Rush-
07-27-2016, 14:19
I read the book first, which made the movie more entertaining. The book is indeed far better and full of LOL moments. It's definitely worth the read even if you're not into the AT.

colorado_rob
07-27-2016, 14:23
Try some of Bryson's other books sometime. I think my favorites are "A Sunburnt country" (about Australia) or "A Brief History of Everything". Fantastic (as is AWITW, of course).

-Rush-
07-27-2016, 14:27
Try some of Bryson's other books sometime. I think my favorites are "A Sunburnt country" (about Australia) or "A Brief History of Everything". Fantastic (as is AWITW, of course).

I've got a few on my Kindle I plan on checking out. I started "A Short History of Nearly Everything" but kept falling asleep as he delved into the atomic structure of the universe and how we're all lucky to have been forged from it. Maybe it's because I covered all of that in my 20s after a few tokes.

Lost Woodsman
07-27-2016, 14:56
Just bought the book the other day. A lot of reviews say the first part of the book is awesome but the last half is totally opposite. Guess I'll find out!

MuddyWaters
07-27-2016, 15:00
Just bought the book the other day. A lot of reviews say the first part of the book is awesome but the last half is totally opposite. Guess I'll find out!
Yep.
First is humorous, to most
Last really drags

Lnj
07-27-2016, 15:04
But by the last half, you are invested so you have to finish it anyway. Kind of realistic I think. The first part of a long hike is exciting and fun and you can crack jokes at stupid things that happen. But by the end of that same hike, things just aren't nearly so funny. :)

Mags
07-27-2016, 15:38
I read the book first, which made the movie more entertaining. The book is indeed far better and full of LOL moments. It's definitely worth the read even if you're not into the AT.

That's how I felt. Enjoyed the book when Bryson was on the trail and not taking day hikes to fill a contract.

The movie was a mediocre 1980s sitcom stretched over two boring hours.

rocketsocks
07-27-2016, 15:48
Great book! just an okay movie.

daddytwosticks
07-27-2016, 16:01

Agree 100%. It was still a blast to read. Way better than the movie. :)

TwoSpirits
07-27-2016, 16:12
Read the book a few years ago, and I loved it. Doubled over laughing with tears in my eyes. I thought it was not only a funny story, but I learned a lot too (although some stuff is a little dated, since the book was written like 20 years ago.) I gave copies to my mother, daughter, and friends as I left for my own AT attempt a couple years ago; they loved it (except my daughter didn't really care for his discussion about bears!)

I was very excited when I first learned that there was going to be a movie. Even though I knew that the screenplay would be a challenge, I was still really disappointed in the movie.

Christoph
07-27-2016, 18:04
Read the book a while back and it I thought it was really well put together and funny. Then I saw the movie, with the same expectations. Let's just say, I read the book again recently to remember how great his story was. I'll read it again too. I'm not a reader, I have maybe 10-15 books and this one is in my "library", I liked it so much.

rafe
07-27-2016, 21:22
He's a great writer if you can handle his style -- witty, sarcastic, well-informed, self-deprecating.

Most of his books are similarly humorous, including several non-fiction works, and two excellent books about the English language.

That said, I think his last book, "The Road to Little Dribbling" is kinda weak, by comparison.

Berserker
07-28-2016, 12:48
I'm not a big reader, so I got the audio version as a gift. The version I have is actually read by Bryson himself. I agree that it's a good read (or listen in my case).

gpburdelljr
07-28-2016, 14:46
I've never see a movie, that is based on a good book I've read, that was as good as the book.

FlyPaper
07-28-2016, 15:55
I've never see a movie, that is based on a good book I've read, that was as good as the book.

First Blood.

Movie much better than book.

rocketsocks
07-28-2016, 16:02
First Blood.

Movie much better than book.god father, exorcist, jaws, all great books and exceptional epic movies.

Venchka
07-29-2016, 20:54
god father, exorcist, jaws, all great books and exceptional epic movies.

There are more. Usually older than the list above. Nobody cares anymore.
Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."

Sarcasm the elf
07-29-2016, 21:12

Fight Club.

Venchka
07-29-2016, 23:11
Doctor Strangelove.
A Time to Kill.
Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."

Halloween
07-30-2016, 07:54
I thought the movie A River Runs Through It was better then the book. The shorts stories were the best part of the book.

lyagooshka
09-28-2016, 10:27
I had the book for years.
Actually gave it away to a friend without reading it, and he moved away.
I always planned to get to it.
I wound up seeing the movie first (free on Amazon Prime).
Having read some of Bryson's other works (especially "A Short History..."), I could see from the movie I made a mistake never having read the book.
I ordered it off Amazon that day.

Yes, the book is better, but the movie is IMHO a definite worth-see.
In one moment when I almost did the proverbial "milk through the nose" laugh was at the beginning.
Was on the couch getting a few chuckles until he talked about running in to a bear.
The way he described releasing his bowel (not the contents, but the actual bowel) almost made me choke.
I think my wife thought I finally lost it.

Rest of the book was no worse.
Some slow spots, some real side splitters.
Would definitely suggest it (and the movie) to anyone who hasn't read/seen one or both.

Alex

Tipi Walter
09-28-2016, 10:43
First Blood.

Movie much better than book.

I remember reading this Rambo book way before the Sly movie came out. In the book he kills everyone. In the movie? Nope.

As far as Bryson goes, in a perfect world you'd read it on a backpacking trip while burning it page by page.