PDA

View Full Version : Decisions on Equipment?

Rolex
07-27-2016, 23:15
As I pack up my gear for a soon to be weekend, I noticed I brought a couple of doubles of gear.

This is only for a Coupla nights solo and I use a TT stratosphere tent and WM Ultralite bag on a neoair pad.
Montana back country about 10-15 miles in hike probably. Temps at night 40s. Days-80s

I have a tested proven kit but just noticed I might be able to drop a little due to having items for same use

Would you...
Carry a packa poncho or marmot rain jacket?

Polartec long underwear or sleeping bag liner? Also carrying a ghost whisperer down jacket for sure.

Life straw or sawyer mini?

Or both of any choices?

Weight with Atmos 65 is around 30 lbs loaded with 2 liters bladder and 3 days food.

Thanks for comments.

AfterParty
07-27-2016, 23:35
Which neo air pad? 20 degree bag I'd bring neither personally

Rolex
07-27-2016, 23:48
Which neo air pad? 20 degree bag I'd bring neither personally

It's the xlite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AfterParty
07-27-2016, 23:55
Ya personally at 40 I wouldn't bring either I also don't like sleeping in clothes so if had to bring one the liner. Worst case I'd stick my over me like a quilt.

AfterParty
07-27-2016, 23:56
Puffy...sorry

DuneElliot
07-28-2016, 00:09
As I pack up my gear for a soon to be weekend, I noticed I brought a couple of doubles of gear.

This is only for a Coupla nights solo and I use a TT stratosphere tent and WM Ultralite bag on a neoair pad.
Montana back country about 10-15 miles in hike probably. Temps at night 40s. Days-80s

I have a tested proven kit but just noticed I might be able to drop a little due to having items for same use

Would you...

Polartec long underwear or sleeping bag liner? Also carrying a ghost whisperer down jacket for sure.

Or both of any choices?

Weight with Atmos 65 is around 30 lbs loaded with 2 liters bladder and 3 days food.

Thanks for comments.

If I could afford a Packa, that would be my choice...but I wouldn't carry both.

I always take long underwear...dual purpose. Warm layer, dry layer, camp clothes and keeps your sleeping bag cleaner. I hate sleeping bag liners...kinda pointless IMO

Sawyer Squeeze personally, but Mini over Lifestraw (that only goes in my GHB in my car)

Rolex
07-28-2016, 00:21
If I could afford a Packa, that would be my choice...but I wouldn't carry both.

I always take long underwear...dual purpose. Warm layer, dry layer, camp clothes and keeps your sleeping bag cleaner. I hate sleeping bag liners...kinda pointless IMO

Sawyer Squeeze personally, but Mini over Lifestraw (that only goes in my GHB in my car)

I agree with you on long johns vs liner.
I will look at the squeeze btw. What makes you prefer it over the mini? I've carried a mini wrapped with duct tape for years but family had bought a life straw for my Xmas.
I haven't even opened it yet.
The pack can be used dual purpose vs rain jacket so I agree there also.

Feral Bill
07-28-2016, 00:50
Packa
wool long UW
Hammock w/underquilt
Aquamira

-Rush-
07-28-2016, 01:15

Would you...

Or both of any choices?

Thanks for comments.

The packa poncho
I'd take the sleeping bag liner. Easier to deal with if you're not wearing the LU on the hike.
The life straw sucks.. bring the Sawyer.

That's a low weight for that pack. Good Luck!

DuneElliot
07-28-2016, 09:39
I agree with you on long johns vs liner.
I will look at the squeeze btw. What makes you prefer it over the mini? I've carried a mini wrapped with duct tape for years but family had bought a life straw for my Xmas.
I haven't even opened it yet.
The pack can be used dual purpose vs rain jacket so I agree there also.

Greater flow rate and the ability to buy adapter rings that means you can screw it to the top of a Smartwater bottle and your squeeze bag, so no spilling and easy to use in a gravity set up. If you like the Mini, keep using it...nothing wrong with it at all. It works well as an inline filter for a bladder, if that's how you carry water.

The Lifestraw isn't really designed for backpacking but for emergencies.

DuneElliot
07-28-2016, 09:42
The thing I don't get about sleeping bag liners is how people don't get tangled up in them...I move around and get my feet and legs all wrapped up in them. Am I the only one that happens with?

Miles 2 Go
07-28-2016, 14:09
I also would and have switch to a squeeze over the mimi for the better flow rate. I did the smart water bottle cap conversion too and it works great. Filtering my water is no longer a pain in the butt and is much faster.

jjozgrunt
07-29-2016, 21:07
Here's my 2 bobs worth. I hate poncho's so go with the jacket. Add pants or wrap depending on your start date. I'm also using an umbrella very versatile.
Long underwear for sure.
Dump them both and get the standard sawyer, better flow. I hate bladders after dropping one and it splitting on a through walk. If you like to use a tube try a source water tube, http://sourceoutdoor.com/en/bottles/22-convertube-hydration-system, has 4 different lids so will fit most bottles, and gives you more options. I usually carry 2 bottles (1-1.5lt) in side pockets and a nalgene collapsible that I use with the Sawyer.

Rmcpeak
07-30-2016, 18:51
Packa is not really a poncho. Way better! I'd probably go with the Marmot jacket and the long underwear. I seem to only use my Packa in late fall/early spring/winter as a top layer.

On a recent 150 mile AT section hike I carried drops and a sawyer mini -- I usually just carry drops. I was glad to have the filter on this hike. It was very hot and I was drinking like 10-12 liters per day. I could suck down a liter while my drops cooked. I did with I had a regular sawyer, not the mini. The flow on the mini is frustrating.

Have a great hike!

poolskaterx
08-15-2016, 18:37
sawyer: better flow

long johns: dual purpose, sleep wear or added layer if it gets colder at night or morning when hiking.

Jacket or poncho? Jackets fit so much nicer but poncho is nice if you need to hike when it is raining as they tend to vent much better. If it is unlikely it will rain I bring my jacket, if rain is certain I would bring my poncho and maybe my jacket for camp; at 7oz it is nice to have a dry option.

Blaze12
08-23-2016, 22:57
I would go with the poncho, long underwear (I can wear it when hiking if I need to), Sawyer mini, but that's just me.

Sent from mobile

Wise Old Owl
08-23-2016, 22:59
OK I love poncho's I have the Marmot and use it for work - when backpacking it stays home and I use a Packa or other camo poncho.

MtDoraDave
08-27-2016, 09:30
I prefer to wear a base layer inside my sleeping bag because I don't like the feel of the bag on my skin. As someone else said, it may also keep the bag cleaner.

The squeeze flows more/ faster than the mini and only weighs an ounce more.

I have Marmot Precip pants and jacket. They work well as an outer layer in cold weather, but they are relatively heavy. I'm considering getting some frog toggs.