PDA

View Full Version : Ohm 2.0 short review

Namtrag
07-28-2016, 08:53
My Ohm weighs 35.5 oz (medium torso with a large hipbelt). I have an extra 2" in the shoulder straps, so that may be part of the reason it is a 4 oz over the spec weight, plus my pack is all robic, whereas the older ones I think had silnylon down the sides and on the bottom to save weight. I am going to remove the water bladder holder, and maybe shorten some of the straps to cut a couple of oz, if I ever get around to it! lol

I just took the pack out last weekend for a shakedown over-nighter, and it was very comfortable, and it is much bigger than I was expecting. I had so much extra room in the main compartment, I don't think I will have any trouble using it for a 6 day, 5 night trip later this summer. In the main body, I had my top and under quilts, a clothes bag, an Ursack with a few meals and snacks, a toiletry bag, an everything else bag, my hammock, and two coozies for cooking food in, and it was way underfilled.

The stretchy mesh pocket has returned, and it holds a lot of stuff. I had a frog togs jacket, a rain kilt, a pack cover, a sawyer squeeze filter with 2 dirty bags, and a pint of whisky in it, and I could have stuffed more into it.

Since I use the water bottle holders on the front of the shoulder straps, I was able to use the huge side pockets for gear, so I put my cook kit in one side pocket, and my tarp, stakes and straps in the other. I did notice that the side pockets on mine use cinch cord, whereas my wife's Ohm just has stretchy elastic cords built in. I had no worries about anything falling out. In fact, I tripped and fell forward flat on my stomach and chest, and the only thing that flew out of the pack was the bottle of whisky! The stuff in the side pockets stayed put.

The hipbelt pockets are huge, and I had barely anything in them, just a couple of snacks in one, and my iphone and a bandana in the other, and they would have held a lot more.

I was also able to compress the load inside the pack fairly well by cinching the criss-cross cords that are on either side.

The lack of ventilation didn't bother me, as I sweat uncontrollably with or without ventilation.

This pack is definitely a keeper. I had 24 lbs in it with food and water, and it rode like a dream at that weight.

This is not me with the load I took over the weekend, it's a pic from the day I got the pack and just threw stuff in it, so it's not compressed down at all. But you can see how the pack is all orange Robic now without the black silnylon panels. I also put a pic from the ULA website, and you can see mine is much more orange!

DuneElliot
07-28-2016, 09:32
Nice review. The only thing that stopped me choosing the Ohm over the Circuit was the top closure. I just couldn't for the life of me figure out how anyone could keep rain out of a draw-string closure like on the Ohm.

Namtrag
07-28-2016, 09:41
I think I was able to roll it so the rain wouldn't get in, but I also use a compactor bag to line the pack and is where I keep my "never get wet" stuff. I also have a silnylon pack cover my wife made, and it weighs next to nothing.

colorado_rob
07-28-2016, 10:38
Nice review. The only thing that stopped me choosing the Ohm over the Circuit was the top closure. I just couldn't for the life of me figure out how anyone could keep rain out of a draw-string closure like on the Ohm.I was exactly the opposite, I hate the roll top of the circuit, and love the simple drawstring. I do use a cuben pack cover, plus a garbage bag liner, nothing gets (very) wet.

No idea why your Ohm is so "heavy", Namtrag. Mine is 27.5 ounces. I did cut some extra strappage off, plus I don't use the little mesh pouches supplied, etc. Mine is a large torso/small belt, plus it's 3 years old (actually, going on 4!), I suppose the model has changed.

DuneElliot
07-28-2016, 10:51
I think I was able to roll it so the rain wouldn't get in, but I also use a compactor bag to line the pack and is where I keep my "never get wet" stuff. I also have a silnylon pack cover my wife made, and it weighs next to nothing.

I was exactly the opposite, I hate the roll top of the circuit, and love the simple drawstring. I do use a cuben pack cover, plus a garbage bag liner, nothing gets (very) wet.

I guess stuff gets wet no matter what and why everything goes in a trash compacter bag. I do like the roll top personally, but then I only open and close it once a day, generally (close in morning, open in the evening). I do wish they had a design more like ZPacks with the velcro along the opening to make it easier to roll closed and make it more secure. That is one modification I will be adding to the Circuit, somehow!!!

map man
07-28-2016, 17:44
Namtrag, you covered it very well. I will say that ULA's recommendations for how much weight the Ohm 2.0 can carry are spot on. For me it carries under 25 pounds very comfortably, can carry 25-30 pounds tolerably, and gets uncomfortable (straps dig into your shoulders) over 30 pounds -- for some reason I decided to carry eight days of food (enough to get me from NOC to Standing Bear Farm) on a section hike once and that ended up putting me between 32 and 33 pounds leaving from the NOC. I won't carry that much weight in that pack again.

By the way, mine is purple robic.

MikekiM
07-30-2016, 08:59
Namtrag, did you special order the 'extra' orange or is that how it came? I am close to pulling the trigger on an Ohm v2... Color selection is the last thing I will do.

Sent from East of Montauk

Namtrag
07-30-2016, 12:06
It came that way, but I'd email Chris to make sure if that's how you'd like yours.

Namtrag
07-30-2016, 21:43
Namtrag, you covered it very well. I will say that ULA's recommendations for how much weight the Ohm 2.0 can carry is spot on. For me it carries under 25 pounds very comfortably, can carry 25-30 pounds tolerably, and gets uncomfortable (straps dig into your shoulders) over 30 pounds -- for some reason I decided to carry eight days of food (enough to get me from NOC to Standing Bear Farm) on a section hike once and that ended up putting me between 32 and 33 pounds leaving from the NOC. I won't carry that much weight in that pack again.

By the way, mine is purple robic.

I may be pushing 32 on our 6 day trip, but it will drop pretty quickly as we eat the food.

Is yours purple all the way up the sides like mine, or is it purple only in the pocket area like the stock ULA pic I posted?

map man
07-31-2016, 09:14
I may be pushing 32 on our 6 day trip, but it will drop pretty quickly as we eat the food.

Is yours purple all the way up the sides like mine, or is it purple only in the pocket area like the stock ULA pic I posted?

Mine is not purple up the sides -- it looks like the picture you downloaded from ULA and not the picture you took of your own pack. I bought mine after the 2014 but before the 2015 hiking season, if that makes any difference.

MuddyWaters
07-31-2016, 11:06
Nice review. The only thing that stopped me choosing the Ohm over the Circuit was the top closure. I just couldn't for the life of me figure out how anyone could keep rain out of a draw-string closure like on the Ohm.

Since it will soak thru the rest of the pack and seams, its not that big of a deal
Pack isnt water proof.
Pack isnt even water resistant

I was exactly the opposite, I hate the roll top of the circuit, and love the simple drawstring. I do use a cuben pack cover, plus a garbage bag liner, nothing gets (very) wet.

No idea why your Ohm is so "heavy", Namtrag. Mine is 27.5 ounces. I did cut some extra strappage off, plus I don't use the little mesh pouches supplied, etc. Mine is a large torso/small belt, plus it's 3 years old (actually, going on 4!), I suppose the model has changed.

Mines 21 oz. Back from when it was an ultralight pack. Max comfortable weight was about 22lbs. Basically a frameless pack with minimal belt, but the hoop stay made packing easier, theres no torso collapse due to it, and allowed load lifters to work against something when pack wasnt full and tightly packed.
A really great compromise between a frameless and a heavier pack, that still had merit to be used on many designs at only 2 oz wt penalty. Until zpacks arcblast design blew it out of the water, imo.